News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you think that Dodge is over using the R/T name plate??

Started by Back N Black, July 12, 2013, 08:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Every Mopar on the road has an R/T badge on it. I was driving behind a Dodge journey today and it had a R/T badge on it. :o  I thinking a 69 Charger R/T is losing its Pedigree.

cudaken

Wasn't there R/T Neon?

Low point of Mopar was when the stuck HEMI badges on the K Car!  :brickwall:
I am back

Ghoste

TruckDriver

Yes, as about as much as Chevy is over using the SS name.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

ws23rt

They have used it up. I wonder how long till SRT is on a hybrid commuter car?
We also see Hemi on thousands of vehicles and it used to mean something rare and special.

1974dodgecharger

Name of the business, but one thing for sure I'm glad they are not doing identical 1,2, and 3rd gen chargers....I'm glad that the new charger does not look like those gens. Makes us that much more rare.

charge69

Let them put the "R/T " and "HEMI" badges on anything they want that they make now.  The older crowd knew it was special and the newer generation doesn't seem to care about the real history of the "R/T" or the "HEMI" badging. Us older guys will always look down with disdain on these newer models with their "old Car" badging and the younger crowd will continue not to care what we think and like it!
I will say this though, I still love to see their mouths gape wide open when they see a real HEMI, being a '66 to '71 real Hemicar, in a show or on the road! They might not think a car with "R/T" badging or "HEMI' on it is as special as it is to us but they still respect it.

Ghoste

I wonder if its even a sales incentive to the younger crowd.

charger_fan_4ever

I find they are even over using the SRT badge now too.

JB400

Is it really a question as to being overused or just being well recognized?  I will agree that it is starting to lose its provenance, but being that Dodge is the performance division, I can understand why it's being used.  SRT on the other hand, is it's own division.  The only problem I see with SRT is it's taking over the role of what Dodge used to be, and Dodge is going down the road that Plymouth took.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

WHITE AND RED 69

Oh yeah they are. Have you seen the Mopar 10 edition Charger? Talk about overdoing it. Has about 25 Mopar emblems all over it and they charge like 10 grand extra for it?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Mike DC

IMHO it's okay to use a designation like R/T as long as it reflects some actual performance hardware upgrades from the regular models.  The stickers & spoiler editions are what really degrades a designation.

1974dodgecharger

Ghoste

Stroker, you bring up a good point, I worry about what direction they will take with Dodge too for that reason.

F8-4life

These retards are messing up my internet searches.. Seems like original thinking and nameplates went out of style long ago

tan top

yeah over used  , just like the name charger on a four door  ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bull

Yes, overused, like stickers on a rice burner. Any time you overuse a word or phrase it loses its meaning. For example, just about any politically correct buzzword like "bullying" or "hate" - if you use it too much in situations where it does not apply it no longer carries any weight.

Quote from: tan top on July 14, 2013, 02:54:47 PM
yeah over used  , just like the name charger on a four door  ,

:iagree:

odcics2

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 14, 2013, 12:53:07 AM
Oh yeah they are. Have you seen the Mopar 10 edition Charger? Talk about overdoing it. Has about 25 Mopar emblems all over it and they charge like 10 grand extra for it?

Oddly enough, it's sold out!   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Cooter

Yes, the R/T emblems are slapped on everything today. Just like there are more 426 'Hemi' Cuda Converts now, than Mopar ever made. MONEY is the name of the game and R/T/Hemi badges bring it.

However, I do think that it is odd that the older gents think the SRT/R/T badges of today do not mean what they did back in 1969.
R/T badges were slapped on MANY of these cars back in the late 80's-early 90's when selling big was the name of the game.

Hmmmm, Have you ever seen a 1000 PLUS HP at the feet, 1969 426 Hemi? I have, and lemme tell you, you WILL not drive it for long on the street. Race fuel, Over heating, High compression, loading up carb's, etc.

However, today, With places like Arrington Racing engines in Va. have done just this.
Hell, a buddy took his 'Drag' car that runs on PUMP FUEL to the track and thought he did pretty good with a 7.35 8th mile.... An SRT Jeep AWD cranks out a 7.20 in the other lane with freaking A/C on.  Really? The SRT badges do not mean what they did back in the day?  
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Road Dog

Wife just got an R/T Caravan. I'm gonna get her 2 more badges for the doors. :icon_smile_big:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

FJMG

Quote from: Cooter on July 15, 2013, 06:09:14 AM
   Really? The SRT badges do not mean what they did back in the day?  

Wife and I recently returned from a 4000 mile road trip in her 06 charger srt8, 15.5 to 25.5 mpg. Got home 10 pm on a Friday night, I changed the oil and filter and the next morning we headed to the drag strip for my daughter's orientation class at the strip.

She is nineteen, has never driven over 65 mph in her 98 Saturn.

First run out she gets a 13.8 at 100 mph with trac. control on and crappy reaction time and crappy 60 foot. This is a totally stock 06 with Goodyear rsa at 32 psi. Another student brought her new 2013 300 srt8 and laid down a 12.99 at 106 mph.

These are NOVICE drivers!

My daughter cannot stop smiling!

After racing, the family piled in and we headed to DQ for a blizzard.

I love a family car that can move!

Ghoste

The SRT would be a little different than the modern use of RT though.  RT used to be more what the SRT is today instead of the trim package its largely become.

Cooter

Yet, one of the most highly sought after B-bodies from the 1971-74 RR camp seems to be nothing more than a trim packaged Roadrunner/GTX......

They did it back in the day too, they are just cooler than anything with R/T badges slapped on today. Really? A RoadRunner GTX? I thought the GTX was the higher, 'Executive' hot rod model, And the RR was the cheaper, lowly hot rod brand? So they combined them? And now they are worth a fortune?

Same thing with the 76-78 Volare/Aspen Roadrunners. If that wasn't a slapped on trim package, I don't know what was. What about the Charger 'Daytonas' From the late seventies? Really? Where is the wing and nose of yesterday?
Where's the 400 HP Big Block that made the 'Daytona' nameplate mean something??

Same thing, just cooler, 30 plus year old cars.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Baldwinvette77

I wouldn't say dodge are overusing it, people have a choice to buy base models over "R/t" versions just like they did 40-something years ago, i guess just more people buy them now than they did then, even if it is just a 4000$ styling kit  :shruggy: but yes the R/T badge is being slapped onto more things than it should, the caravan was the final straw  :eek2:

Ghoste

Yeah, the Caravan was when it became too much for me too.

Road Dog

Atleast it's the silver R/T badge. I can live with that since it doesn't carry the performance meaning with it like the red R/T badge.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Ghoste

JB400

Red makes you stop and look, especially when it's on a R/T badge. :D

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 14, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
still waiting on the SRT caravan, 6.1, with posi

POSI, Since when does Chrysler or Dodge use a POSI. You must be a GM guy :shruggy: :rofl:

Ghoste

Yeah, always make it a point to say Sure Grip.  In fact, whenever you talk to a Chevy guy and they say "posi", always look puzzled and ask them what the hell they are talking about.  As soon as they explain it, go "ohhhhh, you mean a Sure Grip".

Lord Warlock

While i think its a little overdone when they put the nameplate on a van or suv, I never really cared about it on smaller motored cars as long as the package made it perform better than the standard versions.  I've got R/T emblems on my 91 stealth turbo, and its powered by a jap motored v6...the top option available in the 90s.  Still, the r/t versions had more power than the base models did. 

As for the hemi designation, while our newfangled hemis aren't quite the same as the 60s 426 version, they perform on par or better than the old cars did in ther heyday, my 5.7L in the new challenger runs the quarter faster than the 69 440 powered charger ever did, and there are options available to make it quicker than even a modded 426 hemi could do.  Nothing has a better presence than the 426, with fat valve covers and dual quads hiding under the hood of an old musclecar,  not even the 440 six pack quite looks as impressive as the 426 does,  great for shows and gatherings, but surprisingly, they rarely ran better than low 13s in the old days, maybe mid to high 12s if tuned right and driven right, but those feats can be matched by a lowly 5.7 litre v8 of today. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

adauto

I had an Avenger (rental car) in Dallas 2 years ago .... ya you guessed it.... R/T.   It sure the hell wasn't like any R/T I  had when I hit I  the gas!  :slap:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

70moparman

Quote from: charge69 on July 13, 2013, 11:43:24 AM
Let them put the "R/T " and "HEMI" badges on anything they want that they make now.  The older crowd knew it was special and the newer generation doesn't seem to care about the real history of the "R/T" or the "HEMI" badging. Us older guys will always look down with disdain on these newer models with their "old Car" badging and the younger crowd will continue not to care what we think and like it!
I will say this though, I still love to see their mouths gape wide open when they see a real HEMI, being a '66 to '71 real Hemicar, in a show or on the road! They might not think a car with "R/T" badging or "HEMI' on it is as special as it is to us but they still respect it.
The car guys of the younger generation care (myself included) and respect the word Hemi (becasue of the 64-71 motor that dominated everything)... I love the new Challenger R/T, but since they are out of most younger peoples price range, especially in todays economy, most people move onto a car they can afford and enjoy...  "Hemi" and "R/T" do help cars sale, and they belong on the Challenger... I have mixed emotions about them being on 4 door Chargers, but they seem to be looking better every year reciently.  The first time I saw an R/T badge on a Journey I puked in my mouth... What a sad attempt of selling a catbox on wheels... Leave the Road/Track package to CARS that acutally belong on a race track, not a family car your wife drives to Walmart...  Someone at Dodge should of been fired for R/T badge placement on the Journey, and the Caravan, and the Avenger...   :Twocents:

70moparman

Quote from: Ghoste on August 03, 2013, 12:17:04 AM
Yeah, always make it a point to say Sure Grip.  In fact, whenever you talk to a Chevy guy and they say "posi", always look puzzled and ask them what the hell they are talking about.  As soon as they explain it, go "ohhhhh, you mean a Sure Grip".
LOL ~ I will start doing that...  :lol: