News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you think that Dodge is over using the R/T name plate??

Started by Back N Black, July 12, 2013, 08:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Yet, one of the most highly sought after B-bodies from the 1971-74 RR camp seems to be nothing more than a trim packaged Roadrunner/GTX......

They did it back in the day too, they are just cooler than anything with R/T badges slapped on today. Really? A RoadRunner GTX? I thought the GTX was the higher, 'Executive' hot rod model, And the RR was the cheaper, lowly hot rod brand? So they combined them? And now they are worth a fortune?

Same thing with the 76-78 Volare/Aspen Roadrunners. If that wasn't a slapped on trim package, I don't know what was. What about the Charger 'Daytonas' From the late seventies? Really? Where is the wing and nose of yesterday?
Where's the 400 HP Big Block that made the 'Daytona' nameplate mean something??

Same thing, just cooler, 30 plus year old cars.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Baldwinvette77

I wouldn't say dodge are overusing it, people have a choice to buy base models over "R/t" versions just like they did 40-something years ago, i guess just more people buy them now than they did then, even if it is just a 4000$ styling kit  :shruggy: but yes the R/T badge is being slapped onto more things than it should, the caravan was the final straw  :eek2:

Ghoste

Yeah, the Caravan was when it became too much for me too.

Road Dog

Atleast it's the silver R/T badge. I can live with that since it doesn't carry the performance meaning with it like the red R/T badge.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Ghoste

JB400

Red makes you stop and look, especially when it's on a R/T badge. :D

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 14, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
still waiting on the SRT caravan, 6.1, with posi

POSI, Since when does Chrysler or Dodge use a POSI. You must be a GM guy :shruggy: :rofl:

Ghoste

Yeah, always make it a point to say Sure Grip.  In fact, whenever you talk to a Chevy guy and they say "posi", always look puzzled and ask them what the hell they are talking about.  As soon as they explain it, go "ohhhhh, you mean a Sure Grip".

Lord Warlock

While i think its a little overdone when they put the nameplate on a van or suv, I never really cared about it on smaller motored cars as long as the package made it perform better than the standard versions.  I've got R/T emblems on my 91 stealth turbo, and its powered by a jap motored v6...the top option available in the 90s.  Still, the r/t versions had more power than the base models did. 

As for the hemi designation, while our newfangled hemis aren't quite the same as the 60s 426 version, they perform on par or better than the old cars did in ther heyday, my 5.7L in the new challenger runs the quarter faster than the 69 440 powered charger ever did, and there are options available to make it quicker than even a modded 426 hemi could do.  Nothing has a better presence than the 426, with fat valve covers and dual quads hiding under the hood of an old musclecar,  not even the 440 six pack quite looks as impressive as the 426 does,  great for shows and gatherings, but surprisingly, they rarely ran better than low 13s in the old days, maybe mid to high 12s if tuned right and driven right, but those feats can be matched by a lowly 5.7 litre v8 of today. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

adauto

I had an Avenger (rental car) in Dallas 2 years ago .... ya you guessed it.... R/T.   It sure the hell wasn't like any R/T I  had when I hit I  the gas!  :slap:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

70moparman

Quote from: charge69 on July 13, 2013, 11:43:24 AM
Let them put the "R/T " and "HEMI" badges on anything they want that they make now.  The older crowd knew it was special and the newer generation doesn't seem to care about the real history of the "R/T" or the "HEMI" badging. Us older guys will always look down with disdain on these newer models with their "old Car" badging and the younger crowd will continue not to care what we think and like it!
I will say this though, I still love to see their mouths gape wide open when they see a real HEMI, being a '66 to '71 real Hemicar, in a show or on the road! They might not think a car with "R/T" badging or "HEMI' on it is as special as it is to us but they still respect it.
The car guys of the younger generation care (myself included) and respect the word Hemi (becasue of the 64-71 motor that dominated everything)... I love the new Challenger R/T, but since they are out of most younger peoples price range, especially in todays economy, most people move onto a car they can afford and enjoy...  "Hemi" and "R/T" do help cars sale, and they belong on the Challenger... I have mixed emotions about them being on 4 door Chargers, but they seem to be looking better every year reciently.  The first time I saw an R/T badge on a Journey I puked in my mouth... What a sad attempt of selling a catbox on wheels... Leave the Road/Track package to CARS that acutally belong on a race track, not a family car your wife drives to Walmart...  Someone at Dodge should of been fired for R/T badge placement on the Journey, and the Caravan, and the Avenger...   :Twocents:

70moparman

Quote from: Ghoste on August 03, 2013, 12:17:04 AM
Yeah, always make it a point to say Sure Grip.  In fact, whenever you talk to a Chevy guy and they say "posi", always look puzzled and ask them what the hell they are talking about.  As soon as they explain it, go "ohhhhh, you mean a Sure Grip".
LOL ~ I will start doing that...  :lol: