News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage NASCAR at Concours of America, Sunday July 28th

Started by Aero426, July 16, 2013, 09:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Nice article on the upcoming vintage stock car display at Concours of America, Sunday July 28th.   It's in Plymouth Michigan which is just west of metro Detroit.  It is not far from Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor where we just had the meet.   Here's the linky.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/07/16/vintage-nascar-racers-to-appear-at-concours-delegance-of-america/#.UeVIiwLJ1B8.facebook

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Aero426

Ghoste, from a prior mailing, I "thought" the track day was going to be at Waterford Hills on Thursday.   Curiously, in my final exhibitor packet, there is no mention of a track day on the schedule at all.      If you know something different, please let me know.    Yes, when they first contacted me some time ago, they were talking about using MIS. 

Ghoste

Last year was MIS but let me check with our client service department and see what they know.  They are supposed to stay up on all of that.  Are you coming to the concour?

Aero426

Yes, the car and I will be there.   Been looking forward to it.

Ghoste

Nobody here knows anything about it.  I'll shoot an email off to someone on the concour staff and ask.  Tufcat will be there too.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on July 16, 2013, 02:25:43 PM
Nobody here know anything about it.  I'll shoot an email off to someone on the concour staff and ask.  Tufcat will be there too.

Thanks, look forward to seeing you guys.

Dave Kanofsky

Cool, you're bringing your Plymouth to...Plymouth!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on July 16, 2013, 03:40:10 PM
Cool, you're bringing your Plymouth to...Plymouth!

Ha, he's just trying to dodge your DODGE ...  :smilielol:

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

rainbow4jd

Look for the million dollar Petty Dodge Challenger kit car there.   

Petty enterprises wanted to sell a turn key Saturday night special and hired a local tobacco farmer /dirt tracker named Dale Earnhardt to shake down the car.  It was Dale Earnhardt's first paid ride and got his name circulated in the NASCAR garages.  The only time the Petty and Earnhardt name was ever linked.  Without that job, DE was going back to farming. 

The car you'll see is the mule car which had a unique rolled front engine radiator cage / tube chassis design.  Actual production cars were a standard welded angle chassis.

The owners turned down a million dollars from the DE museum for the car. 

Imagine having Dale Earnhardt's first ride.   That's like having a Bonus Wagner baseball card, or first Superman comic book - only with a lot more fun!

Ghoste

They always have a good showing of American performance cars at that event.

odcics2

Quote from: rainbow4jd on July 17, 2013, 04:35:05 PM
Look for the million dollar Petty Dodge Challenger kit car there.   

Petty enterprises wanted to sell a turn key Saturday night special and hired a local tobacco farmer /dirt tracker named Dale Earnhardt to shake down the car.  It was Dale Earnhardt's first paid ride and got his name circulated in the NASCAR garages.  The only time the Petty and Earnhardt name was ever linked.  Without that job, DE was going back to farming. 

The car you'll see is the mule car which had a unique rolled front engine radiator cage / tube chassis design.  Actual production cars were a standard welded angle chassis.

The owners turned down a million dollars from the DE museum for the car. 

Imagine having Dale Earnhardt's first ride.   That's like having a Bonus Wagner baseball card, or first Superman comic book - only with a lot more fun!

I'll have to dig up the pics I have of that car when Dale wrecked it!
I got a pile of them from Rathgeb...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

He got paid $800 for that test for two days.   Big money for him at the time.   But it was less than they paid Pete Hamilton to do the asphalt testing.  

Ghoste

Yeah, Pete's star hadn't yet faded by then and Dale's hadn't risen much.

Aero426

I think Pete only tested one day too.  

More of the story of the Earnhardt test at this link:

http://www.superbirdclub.com/earnhardtkitcar.html

hemi68charger

:2thumbs:

Maybe there could be a benefit fund-raiser for Detroit......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on July 18, 2013, 09:19:04 AM
I think Pete only tested one day too.  

More of the story of the Earnhardt test at this link:

http://www.superbirdclub.com/earnhardtkitcar.html

Thanks for posting that link - those are some of the photos I got from Larry.   :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?