News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glove Box Hinge Spring

Started by will, July 26, 2013, 02:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will

Does anybody know where I can score some springs for the hinge on my 68 chargers' glove box door? I'd like it functional before I put it together. Thanks for all the help so far...

will

bull

You'll probably have to "spring" for a hinge assembly because I don't believe anyone is producing just the spring. If you don't want to go that route then you'll probably have to go through lots of websites and hardware stores to find something that looks and acts the same.

Did yours break?

will

Yes, they all broke. Does anybody repop the hinge? I haven't seen one anywhere.

Ghoste

Like Bull, I've never seen them marketed that way.  Wouldn't be surprised that its available somewhere in the world for some other application but...

bull

If you can find new springs like those you might be able to get three of them and pull the piano hinge apart to replace them. But I gotta say, I see headache written all over that idea. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

will

Came apart pretty easily because there is no spring pressure. I wish they had these, have been unable to find these locally. You would think that something this common would be available somewhere. I've checked as many websites as possible, can't find them( or anything similar for that matter ) anywhere.

bull

After work today I went to the hardware store and picked up a couple of 1/4" stainless springs for a bucket seat project I'm working on. It's for the wire assembly that connects the seat adjustment levers in my Charger. You could get one of those and make your own but I gotta warn you, spring steel is a real pain to bend. Basically in your case you'll have to straighten out one end, figure your length on the other end and then cut the spring and then try to straighten the other end out to match a glove box spring. Do you have a picture of a glovebox spring? I've just used a couple pairs of pliars to manipulate the ones I've worked on.

Like so: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90943.0.html

Here's a look at the spring I bought today. It started out 2 3/4" long and I cut two chunks of it off to use on this seat track connector I made.

will

Just ordered 6 at 3.47 a piece. 20 to rebuild a hinge, hopefully I get the right thing. Let you know when mcmaster carr box gets here.

will

I was going through the center console in my 2002 intrepid when I looked at the hinge, to discover the springs in side the hinge are an almost dead ringer for the hinges in our cars. I may have a remedy for this if my brother can get me some from a junk yard. I'll post up when I find out more.

bull

Hope you can find something. It's basically just a torsion spring with two straight ends. Probably something you can find in a decent hardware store.

http://www.nwspring.com/torsion.php

Ghoste

That's what I was thinking too.  A little searching needed but available somewhere.