News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carpet removal

Started by CFMopar, August 06, 2005, 11:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

What involved in removing and replacing the carpet? I got new carpet with underpadding attached for my 71 and just wonder what to expect. Anyone do this?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

mopar_madman

its pretty easy, need to remove seats, console (if you have one) kick panels,door jamb trim, seat belts. carpet will be molded to shape, you will have to trim it and cut holes ( seat holes, console or shifter, high beam switch ect.) What I did was lay old carpet over new and trimmed where the original was.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

NHCharger

I've done two 3rd Gens. Just follow madman's advice.
Also unpack the carpet and let it set for a day. When cutting for the high beam switch be careful, there is NO room for error. Just ask me how I know. :eyes:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Beer

Perhaps rust convertor for unseen suprises...

Cheers
Beer
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

thallium

When you lay the carpet, do you guys use any adhesive or just lay it in there? what type of adhesive if any....?

Ghoste

Just lay it in there.  Once you start bolting everything back in place it won't be going anywhere.

Troy

Do NOT cut it to an exact fit! If you trim the edges under the door sills to fit perfectly then it will all pull out as the carpet "settles in" and molds itself to the floor. You'll actually be cutting it too short. As for getting it out... I haven't really had to remove anything (seats, console, etc.) from mine because the carpet was so bad it practically fell out. Sad.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodgecharger-fan

When cutting for seatbelt holes and even the high beam switch, lay the carpet down and feel where the hole is or where the switch pushes up the carpet and just cut an X in the center.

Widen it out as you need to.

I remember a post on the old boar that said drilling was a bad thing to do as you'd get the fibres all twisted up in the drill bit and end up pulling the carpet up. However, it was said that a uni-bit (A.K.A. a step drill bit) did not have the same effect and worked very well. Princess Auto on Dixie just south of Derry has them on sale most of the time.

CFMopar

I got a small step bit thanks for the tip.

andy74

i agree with what troy said,mine the carpet was already trimmed to short,and i am always frigging around with the door sill plates and the shifter,carpet likes to squirm out from underneath-andy

69bananabeast

I will also be replacing my carpet pretty soon seen as the old one is multi-colored.  What else would be good to cut the holes for the carpet besides a drill?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Ghoste

A hole punch of sufficient diameter.

Drop Top

The way I do it. Use an ice pick from the underside. Then take a new razor blade or exacto knife and cut an X like was mentioned above by dodgecharger-fan.

CFMopar

Hey I cant remeber if the rear piece of carpet was on top or the front section of carpet was on top  ???

Drop Top

Front lays over the rear.