News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

THE BEST GETS BETTER!

Started by ECS, August 14, 2013, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECS

Gene Lewis' 2012 - BEST of SHOW - OE GOLD Daytona recently had an ECS Exhaust System installed to replace his NOS setup.  Here is what they looked like on Day One!  No rusted seams and/or dents (like most NOS parts) from years of being knocked around!  A big Thanks to Gene Lewis for allowing the Valiant Team to help install and document the final results.

Driver Side Torsion Bar clearance

Passenger Side clearance

Factory Exact Mufflers

Passenger Side Tail Pipe

Mufflers & Tail Pipes

Factory Exact Mufflers

Gene Lewis checking for correct tolerances......I think we passed the test!

Complete System - Installed

The most correctly restored 1969 Daytona in existence!

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

held1823

nice work, dave. thanks for sharing the detailed photos.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

That car sure is a work of art!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69hemidaytona

The H pipe and mufflers are about the last things I need to buy for my Daytona yet. Is there a bolt missing from the bellhousing on Gene's car?

Hemi Runner

When you own something like that, that's restored to that level of exactness, how do you maintain it? Is it kept in a climate controlled environment? How do you keep it from deteriorating over time?

moparstuart

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on August 14, 2013, 08:42:18 PM
The H pipe and mufflers are about the last things I need to buy for my Daytona yet. Is there a bolt missing from the bellhousing on Gene's car?
I agree the 2nd picture shows a missing bolt
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger-Bodie

The dowel pin hole? 

Now you need some red overspray on the front pipes Gene!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ws23rt

Quote from: Hemi Runner on August 14, 2013, 09:12:09 PM
When you own something like that, that's restored to that level of exactness, how do you maintain it? Is it kept in a climate controlled environment? How do you keep it from deteriorating over time?

This is a good question. If there are more shows in the near or far future how is preserved?  I have heard of drive in plastic bags?
One of the turbine cars was in one.

arrow

to be assembly line correct wouldnt the mufflers be welded to the head pipes ?

ECS

Quote from: arrow on August 14, 2013, 10:01:27 PM

You are correct!  If a vehicle had "head pipes" the Mufflers would be welded on.  Keep in mind that 440 & Hemi B Body vehicles used an H Pipe.  When an H Pipe was used, the Mufflers were clamped on and not welded.

arrow

Quote from: ECS on August 14, 2013, 10:18:56 PM
Quote from: arrow on August 14, 2013, 10:01:27 PM

You are correct!  If a vehicle had "head pipes" the Mufflers would be welded on.  Keep in mind that 440 & Hemi B Body vehicles used an H Pipe.  When an H Pipe was used, the Mufflers were clamped on and not welded.
Thanks !!!

rainbow4jd

Dave.  Can't wait to have you help me with my bird!    Great work

ECS

I don't want to get off track but keeping bare metal to look fresh and "new" is easy.  I developed a product called RPM that keeps your metal finish looking natural with no oily feel or residue.  When applied correctly it is invisible.  I have more pictures of Gene's Daytona that I will post tomorrow.  All of his natural metal was treated with RPM and looks like the day that he and Vance applied it.  (Including his H Pipe in the pictures.)  

Below is a picture of my Challenger that was an OE contestant in 2008.  The photo was taken a few days ago and it looks exactly like the day we entered it in the Show 5 years ago.  All of its natural metal components are also protected with RPM.

ECS

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Do those cars (your Challenger, the Daytona) get driven at all?  I don't mean to the Thursday night cruise, I mean to the trailer or anything like that.  Maybe the better question is, are they still operable or to compete at that level do you need to avoid that?

hemigeno

The H pipe and mufflers are about the last things I need to buy for my Daytona yet.

Dave has the H-pipe for Hemi applications as well, Tony - you will NOT be disappointed with one of these!  The mufflers are just as nice, and sound exactly like the NOS components just removed from my car.  The look, feel, sound and fitment of the ECS system is an improvement on every front even over my big-dollar NOS components and certainly over the other reproductions I've had.  Years ago, I blew out both mufflers on my Hemicar after an unfortunate timing chain incident.  It took going through five different YearOne reproduction mufflers before I found two that didn't rattle horribly, and I was never satisfied with the tinny sound.  Yes, I'm picky about that too.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

Quote from: moparstuart on August 14, 2013, 09:17:34 PM
Is there a bolt missing from the bellhousing on Gene's car?
I agree the 2nd picture shows a missing bolt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 14, 2013, 09:26:01 PM
The dowel pin hole? 

Brian got it right, it's just the dowel pin hole - although I will admit that at first the bellhousing's hole appears a bit too shiny (devoid of engine paint overspray).  So, I went out and looked at the dowel on the 1969 block we initially installed in the car.  It has a longer dowel, so it filled up more of the bellhousing's hole - and it also has orange paint on its end from when Vance originally painted the bellhousing.  Since we re-used the same dowels in the 1973 replacement block that it originally came with, this is exactly how the bellhousing looked right after the short block was installed in early 1974... if anyone was curious about such trivial details other than myself...

hemigeno

Quote from: ws23rt on August 14, 2013, 09:26:24 PM

This is a good question. If there are more shows in the near or far future how is preserved?  I have heard of drive in plastic bags?
One of the turbine cars was in one.

Quote from: Ghoste on August 15, 2013, 09:14:24 AM
Do those cars (your Challenger, the Daytona) get driven at all?  I don't mean to the Thursday night cruise, I mean to the trailer or anything like that.  Maybe the better question is, are they still operable or to compete at that level do you need to avoid that?

I have a separate room built within my shop to store the car (which was earlier dubbed "The Hemi House" back when I still had my R/T), and it is temp/humidity controlled.  I've seen the bags in use before, but it's not necessary for me since this room isn't open all that much and stays fairly dust-free.  To this point I still have not driven my Daytona on the road yet, but installing the ECS exhaust system puts me one step closer to doing so.  Another thing I want to change out before driving it is the radiator... my "ultra correct" 055 2-core radiator is woefully ill-prepared to cool the engine and I've already experienced some overheating issues last year during the 'Nats Award Ceremony.  Before driving the car on the road, I would like to install a modified radiator - one with a 055 top tank and OE mounting flanges to make it look correct, but with a high-efficiency 3-row core and suitable bottom tank (which would be barely visible or noticeable as long as they're painted black).

Having the bare metal components protected with RPM is a fantastic way to keep the OE look -- without worrying about the parts rusting just from atmospheric humidity, and they should hold up just as well to most classic car owners' cruising  duties.

My Daytona is most definitely still operable, and I am inching closer to being able to actually drive it on the road.  Another reason I might hesitate to drive it is just how long it takes to really clean the underside of the car.  Once I get over my compulsion to keep it as clean as you see now, it'll be a lot easier to justify taking a drive.  One of these days...

ECS

Quote from: Ghoste on August 15, 2013, 09:14:24 AM

After installing the Exhaust System on Gene's Daytona, we did a video sound check and the vehicle was running for more than 20 minuets.  He even drove the car down his drive, turned around in the street and then drove it back to the room where it is parked in the picture.  I'm positive that he could have driven the car 100 miles without issue if he desired.  It is basically a brand new Factory built Daytona!  

Regarding my Challenger, it is a normal running/operating vehicle and could be driven to California and back.  Everything works perfectly including the Air Conditioning.  More important than the appearance is that the car runs and operates like it did when new.  They basically represent the scenario of purchasing a brand new vehicle and then parking it in the garage.  I can't speak for Gene but I don't "drive" them because like anything that is used on a regular basis, they would loose their "new" looking appearance over time.  

hemigeno

Quote from: ECS on August 15, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
I can't speak for Gene but I don't "drive" them because like anything that is used on a regular basis, they would loose their "new" looking appearance over time.  

They would indeed lose their "new" appearance over time, and for that reason I will probably never drive mine regularly.  However, if I cannot justify driving it at all, I'll probably end up selling it.  Awfully expensive garage art...

BTW, I've already said this before, but THANK YOU, Dave, for your help with my exhaust system.  It did indeed make my car even better than it was.

Ghoste

Cool, I know there are some show cars that never even get fluids put in them so I always have a great deal of respect for the ones that still operate.  I can easily imagine how difficult it must be to keep them perfect like that.

ECS

Quote from: held1823 on August 14, 2013, 05:11:19 PM
......thanks for sharing the detailed photos.

Here are a few more photos of Gene's Daytona and some soundbites of the ECS Exhaust after installation.

Soundbites of Gene's 1969 Dodge Daytona

http://youtu.be/lja16eNaq0U

http://youtu.be/STSKPyfZLcI

http://youtu.be/oq5oJC7b4k0

69hemidaytona

Charger-Bodie

Geno, How about the overspray? Are you gonna have Vance mist some on to match the t-bars?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............