News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

roller tip or full roller, what brand?

Started by deathcharger71, February 27, 2006, 07:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathcharger71

im looking at rockers and im thinking of just going with roller tip, but i dont want to save money in the wrong place. how much better are full roller rockers? and which company makes the most reliable ones. im currently looking at comp cams because im gonna run one of there cam kits, i figured they would match up well. the engine will be at higher rpm's and be abused a lot. any input would be great, thanks! -scott

deathcharger71

im also reading that some need guide plates and are self alligning or not self alligning, im starting to get lost haha. ide rather have it as simple as possible, this is my first engine build. do all full roller rockers need guide plates? and if not how can i tell which ones do?

chargerbr549

I assume you are working with small block magnum heads because older smallblocks and big blocks have rocker shafts that keep the rocker centered over the valve stem so you wouldn't need guide plates. On my 440 I put on a set of Crane aluminum roller tipped rockers because at that time the only other option was Harland Sharp rockers and they were roller fulcrum and roller tipped but were out of my price range at the time, but now there are alot more options to be had out there. On the magnum head I don't have alot of experience with them because most of the ones that come in our machine shop are cracked so we work on very few of those, I believe that when you go aftermarket roller rockers on those I think you pretty much convert it to small block chevy adjustible rocker studs and rocker arms and guide plates but i'm not positive on that.

deathcharger71

it actuall is a 327 sbc going into a jet boat, i just posted it here because i have a charger and the people on this forum know a lot more then the other forums im on. im still confused about the guide plates..

firefighter3931

If you're looking for a fully rollerized rocker, Harland Sharp ishard to beat. Very durable but also pricey. If you go this route, buy the whole kit with shafts, rockers, hold downs and spacers. The harland Sharps require a specially hardened shaft which you must use..they will eat a stock rocker shaft. Stock hold downs won't work either w/o some grinding......the easiest way is to purchase the whole kit.

What size engine are we talking about ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deathcharger71

its a 327 hypo, tahiti used the 67 vette engine in a few boats. ill be driving the boat now, so its gonna see a lot of 5000 rpm WOT time haha. and i guess a better question would be are there and companys i should NOT get, ive heard that some companys are just crap...

Chryco Psycho

I like the Comp Stainless roller tip rockers , far more durable than alum but approx the same weight

BrianShaughnessy

For an SBC,  go get the press in studs in the heads replaced by screw in studs.... otherwise they have a tendency to pull out with high lift ans strong springs.
I got the Comp Magnum roller tips on the 355 in my Formula.   They're pretty durable and that's what counts most to me.
As for self aligned or not aligned... are you gonna run a hydraulic roller cam such as the stock TPI motors from 87 up?   Probably not with a 327 as it doesn't have the provisions cast into the block so I'd stay not aligned as it's generally much cheaper.   Go buy the guide plates and they'll go along good with the screw in stud equipped heads.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.