News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WHAT KIND OF OIL?

Started by WINGMAN, February 27, 2006, 09:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGMAN

My Daytonas 440 is stock with 35K on it, I just drive to shows and work now and then, not hard on it ;D What is a good engine oil to use?   JR. :icon_smile_cool:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

The Ghoul

I swear by amsoil. I run it in every thing I own.
Just dont go to thin or else youll find more leaks then you ever imagined.  :icon_smile_dead:

Johnny SixPack

I use Castrol GTX 20/W50 in both my "70 440 6-pack and my "69 383 4-bbl.

Good oil pressure and no oil consumption to speak of.

Used it based on Ron's (firefighter3931) recommendation. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Chryco Psycho

Ghoste

Plain old Valvoline 10/30 dino flavour with GM EOS additive for a little zinc.

Just 6T9 CHGR

15w-40 Rotella T for flat tappet cams is what was recommended to me......but you know what they say about a$$holes & opinions.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Castrol gtx 20-50, valvoline racing 20-50, shell rotella 15-40 are all good oils. These brands all have anti scuff additives that the newer "passenger car" lightweight formulations are short of, namely zinc and phosphorus.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

y3chargerrt

Neil, How does a flat tappet cam hold up with the  5w-50 Castrol Syntec oil?

WINGMAN

Thanks for all your input guys :icon_smile_cool:  JR
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: y3chargerrt on March 01, 2006, 08:31:58 AM
Neil, How does a flat tappet cam hold up with the  5w-50 Castrol Syntec oil?

to date no problems ,it has high  shear strength & stays pourable in cold climate like where I live 

y3chargerrt

Thanks Neil..It gets cold in canada??

Rubberduck

Here I found something very interesting. Though it´s pretty much reading.

http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

John_Kunkel

Any gas engine oil with 30 in the viscosity (0-30, 5-30, 10-30) lacks the high pressure additives needed for flat tappets and should be avoided.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

I think it applies over a greater range than that John.  There are precious few of the passenger car engine oils today with the required additives.

Shakey

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 10, 2006, 04:57:11 PM
Any gas engine oil with 30 in the viscosity (0-30, 5-30, 10-30) lacks the high pressure additives needed for flat tappets and should be avoided.

So...what do you suggest John?

Ghoste

This debate has come up here before a number of times and IIRC the general consensus has been this;
That any oil with the little sun symbol on it and something to the effect of "for gasoline engines", is likely missing the additives.
That the additives were removed because all modern engines use roller lifters.
That the GM EOS adds zinc which is the big one that has been removed.
That the zinc is really only crucial during cam break in.
I might be wrong about any or all of that but what I can say with certainty is this, I run what I stated above.  10w30 with EOS.  It's dinosaur not synthetic and it has been what I've used for some time now.  I have had my intake off a number of times within the last 5 years and my cam and lifters still look good, so it has worked for me.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Shakey on March 11, 2006, 08:27:20 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 10, 2006, 04:57:11 PM

So...what do you suggest John?

Diesel oil, any with a "C" in the rating. (Combustion engine)

Zinc and phosphorus are anti-scuff compounds that are needed when iron parts (cam/lifter) mate with no bearing material.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.