News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 big block

Started by 71Charger1996, August 26, 2013, 01:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 27, 2013, 05:22:25 PM
Did you get this car to please yourself, or to please your so-called "friends"?  :shruggy:

It's far easier, cheaper and more satisfying in the long run to just get better friends. :Twocents:

WELL said  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

Quote from: cdr on August 27, 2013, 05:26:44 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 27, 2013, 05:22:25 PM
Did you get this car to please yourself, or to please your so-called "friends"?  :shruggy:

It's far easier, cheaper and more satisfying in the long run to just get better friends. :Twocents:

WELL said  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
I'll have to agree with that as well.

71Charger1996

No I got it because I love old cars and I grew up with "Mopar or No Car". I'm wanting to build it up to the best it can be for myself well before my friends ever started. I'm not rich by any means and I just love old cars. The want to build it up is because of me the eagerness and impatience is caused by my friends. I'm aware that the 400 isn't great but I can't go to my bank and pull out $10,000 so for now I am wanting advice and help.

Cooter

Quote from: 71Charger1996 on August 27, 2013, 03:56:08 PM
Yea money is the key issue here.  My car will hold its own but I'd like to talk smack and know for sure I have what it takes.
First mistake as a rookie. Don't worry, we all have made the same one. Now,what some good advice? Talking smack cost a lot of money how much smack can you afford to talk? Again, you don't need to worry bout putting Mopar on the map. Plenty here have that covered.
Just enjoy the car or I'm afraid another charger may end up crashed. Trying to prove something to a bunch s**t talkers.
Posy spmr pics of rngine and your ride, along with what it had for carb, intake, etc.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

71Charger1996

Here is the car that I am working so hard at.

Cooter

Pic of engine with air cleaner removed. Use you good camera
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Looks great. :drool5:  I think your buddies are jealous.  Let them talk while you enjoy the ride

71Charger1996

Here is the best motor pic I could get

Cooter

Well, the first thing that is fairly cheap, would be aftermarket aluminum intake better carburetor, not necessarily bigger, but better. Also, I see factory manifolds a good set of headers would definitely benefit. Don't know how attached you are too that factory a A/C, but removing it removes weight. A set of gears will wake it up as well.
Other than these cheap mods, anything else will require money..

71Charger1996

The Air Compressor will be removed and the rest I will look into. Any more advice

Cooter

I could suggest a set of closed chamber heads. but, with aluminum heads today it's not worth the money to rebuild iron heads. You really need to increase the compression in order for a performance camshaft to work well.

71Charger1996

I was told to see how many times the drive shaft turns with the wheel. I got 3 turns per one turn (3:1) is this good or bad?

Cooter

Most likely 3.23 gears.   Not really good for stop light jaunts..

cudaken

71 Charger 1996, first good looking Charger!

Well you do have HP exhaust manifolds and that is a big plus! :2thumbs: Personally I would leave then a lone. It is not till you get a nasty cam that headers will help.

Far as running 11's or 12's at this point, well you would have all ready shit your self and would not be asking for help to go faster!  :smilielol:

A good tune will wake a big block up a lot! First find what your timing is sat at, then the total advances your disturber (did I spell that right?) has. You want around 32 degrees before TDC at 3200 RPM's.

Next I would check to see if the carb open's all the way with the gas pedal is to the floor. (not running) I have seen more that a few cars where the throttle blades are not all the way open when floored!

Then setting the Carb up right. With it being a Carter I have no clue.

Exhaust, does it have H pipes or an X Pipe or just duals pipes that don't connect the 2 sides? If yours are 2 single pipes with a 2 inch ID 2.5 inch pipes with a H pipe installed will be worth around 10 to 15 HP. I think a X pipe system is around a 25 HP gain.  :scratchchin:

I dare say all the Magazines Road Test Cars where super tuned before they where given to the writers to test drive. A good tune will lower your ET around .30 to .60 in the quarter mile.

There can be a lot found in a stock 400 with some work out with buying stuff!

According to my old Bible most 400's made around 250 HP. With a 3900 pound car that would be around a 15.34 in a quarter mile. Sound slow right?    :scratchchin: It is not! It will put a grin on your faces and feels fast! I have owned my 68 Road Runner for 40 years and that Is where I started.

Yes we all want faster, but a solid 13.00 car is very quick and will pucker your ass cheeks!     :nana:

Number 1 Rule in bench racing with your friends? They are lying about how much HP they have or the times they are running!  :smilielol: I have pasted a many reported 11's cars with a mid 13's second car!  :smilielol: :rofl:

Cuda Ken

I am back

71Charger1996

Thank you very much Ken. I just ran my car today and although it was a stop watch it ran a high 13. What could cause this to be if it should be 15s? That car surprises me everyday. The specs and setup everyone calls slow but it ram dang good today

JB400

Sounds like someone built up a healthy 400 before you acquired it.

71Charger1996

That is my belief also. I don't have the money right now to have it broke down and checked but I sure wish I did. And I promise im not blowing smoke to sound cool im being honest cause o want honest help

chargd72

I would suggest upgrading your ignition system as well.  One of the best mods I've done so far.  And yes, it quickened up my throttle repsonse.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

ACUDANUT

It's always going to be about money.  Welcome to the site.  :cheers:

Cooter

Quote from: 71Charger1996 on August 27, 2013, 11:34:47 PM
Thank you very much Ken. I just ran my car today and although it was a stop watch it ran a high 13. What could cause this to be if it should be 15s? That car surprises me everyday. The specs and setup everyone calls slow but it ram dang good today
leeme let you in on a little secret.....
Take to the track and you'll see. I can't tell you how many 10 second "drag cars" turn out to be 14 second "street cars"at the track....
No way in hell your gonna tell anything with stopwatch....what was your 60ft. Time? What was your reaction time???
Did you cut a perfect light???

ACUDANUT

No way a dog leg car, can do a 13 sec. 1/4 mile. :Twocents:

mauve66

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 28, 2013, 12:00:07 PM
No way a dog leg car, can do a 13 sec. 1/4 mile. :Twocents:

fyi
dog leg - non-suregrip
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

71Charger1996

If you're in Missouri come over and I will gladly show you. No disrespect but im doing what I can how I can I don't have the money to drive 70 miles to the nearest drag. I'm not shit talking I ran a high 13 or maybe low 14 then. I'm sorry guys I just want advice not why my car should be slow o get that enough. I'm not saying I know more buy i am saying i have been in my car when it goes down the road and I'm sorry to sound like an ass but i get told why it should be slow by people who have never been in it. Like i said it always surprises me

Cooter

If it wasn't slow and surprizes you on a regular basis, then why are you asking bout upgrades?? Making it a "beast"?
Sounds like you would love to here someone tell you what you want to hear...
That ain't me...Sorry. maybe you really did get the only 4000 3rd gen that actually hauls ass with it's stock 400...
Sorry for trying to help.