News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt

Started by JMF, March 01, 2006, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

I was wondering, is the sound of the Dodge Charger in Bullitt the actual sound of the car or is it dubbed? I 've heard rumours that the Mustang sound is dubbed from the sound of a GT40 on a race track

blackcharger

if you listen , while Steve McQueen is chasing the Charger, the Mustang gets shifted about 8 times. I'd say it was dubbed.

Dave

greenpigs

The Mustang doesn't sound that strong to be some GT-40 that would have been MUCH stronger. The Charger sounds correct and I just love it when he wastes the tires going up that hill starting the chase off.

Yeah he shifts a bunch but I think that still is the Mustangs own sound.

Think I'll go watch that part now.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

blade trinity

I've Emailed a fellow who worked on the sound for Bullit. I'll let you know if he can remember the cars and engines used for the SFX. If I ever have any spare time, just for fun, I plan to remix the sound effects in 5.1 surround using recordings from my 440 as the bullitt car. (Unless there's a hemi 68 out there with little baby mufflers) I'm not looking for complete authenticity so much as just jaw dropping kick you in the chest power. I've got a friend with a 429SCJ which might work for  the Mustang sfx....Opinions? Ideas?(Remember this is just a fun project)

Crazy Larry

Quote from: blade trinity on March 01, 2006, 04:21:37 PM
I've Emailed a fellow who worked on the sound for Bullit. I'll let you know if he can remember the cars and engines used for the SFX. If I ever have any spare time, just for fun, I plan to remix the sound effects in 5.1 surround using recordings from my 440 as the bullitt car. (Unless there's a hemi 68 out there with little baby mufflers) I'm not looking for complete authenticity so much as just jaw dropping kick you in the chest power. I've got a friend with a 429SCJ which might work for  the Mustang sfx....Opinions? Ideas?(Remember this is just a fun project)

That sounds like fun!
What makes that project so easy is that there is no music during the "Bullitt" chase scene - the backing music stops right when the Charger peels out. So that should allow you to smoothly replace the SFX.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

JMF

Yeah in the documentary on that raceway they seem to be the same sounds as well, I saw an old Clarkson video the other day where he is driving a GT40 and it sounds nothing like the Mustang

694spdRT

I was watching Magnum Force(Clint Eastwood) this weekend and he was driving a Ford LTD around San Francisco. Just take a guess what sound track they used for his chase scene.  ::)  
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

JMF

And there a small section in Vanishing Point when he stops in the desert where they use the sound

THE CHARGER PUNK

yea hte new vp u can hear the bullitt charger sounds for the 68 for a few secs-MATT

Brock Samson

err,..  :-\

Hey,..  has anyone got the DOH Soundtrack?...

700HPCharger

Quote from: blade trinity on March 01, 2006, 04:21:37 PM

There was an article about the movie a while back in a car mag. The Charger had a 440 that was stock, and if I remember correctly they said the Mustang had a 390 with a bigger than stock cam so it could keep up with the Charger.

blade trinity

Here's the response I got from Dan Wallin. He did the sound for Bullitt "We used the cars that were in the movie...Dan" Not exactly the in depth response I expected but there it is!

JMF

According to the guy who runs this website, see link, he's convinced the Mustang is the sound of a GT40, go to the "how to" section and it says all about the sound

http://www.ponysite.de/bullitt.htm

darkside

If you watch at the end when the mustang is tring to catch the charger after he spinns out in the dirt  when he   shifts he floats the valves and it pops and smokes then he shifts.Its hast to be the engine sound of the car.

Johnny SixPack

The, "Bullit", chase sound track was also used in, "McQ", at times.  :yesnod:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

JMF

And the episode of Dukes Of Hazzard where they are racing round a track

reghoule

Quote from: JMF on March 04, 2006, 07:29:40 AM
And the episode of Dukes Of Hazzard where they are racing round a track

Which one ??  ;D

JMF

Can't remember, it's not in the General Lee, it's in another Dodge Charger, yellow if I remember rightly

Bluestar

Dukes episode with Cale Yarborough??  Cale was driving a yellow 69 Charger at a hidden test track in the woods.

The Ghoul

Quote from: Bluestar on March 05, 2006, 07:10:22 PM
Dukes episode with Cale Yarborough??  Cale was driving a yellow 69 Charger at a hidden test track in the woods.
a turbo charged 69 charger  ;D
I remember because they kept calling blow off valves "pop off valves"
Or maby they were refering to a fule line bypass valve
or an external waste gate..
eather way
"pop off valve"
those crazy southerners  :P

darkside

Quote from: Bluestar on March 05, 2006, 07:10:22 PM
cale had a white 69 charger

Ghoste

My only question is, did you read or hear this information someplace or have you so memorized the Bullitt car chase soundtrack that you could tell when you heard it again?

JMF

Yeah I pretty much know the sounds from the car chase off by heart, never really heard any car sound how the Mustang does in it so not sure how they did it

MadScientist

I watched it this weekend and I just realized that the script from that movie is probably only 5 pagres long and in large print!  Still only watch it for the chase!