News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R4 Daytona on ebay

Started by tan top, September 18, 2013, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

Question: does anyone recall how much cars like these were going for back in, let's say, 92-94?  Just musing in my head if I could've picked up one of these wing cars since the muscle car explosion hadn't happened yet...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

The first big collectability boom was already happening by 1991-ish.  The numbers in the want-ads from that era look cheap today but inflation is a big part of that.  People were checking out VIN tags & block stampings.  Muscle cars in general had not reached 2006 levels of value, but the Hemis & RTs & wing cars were already way above their low point by then.  

Another big factor is the definition of a decent car in those days.  I think the original-everything survivor cars (original paint, carb has never been off the engine, etc) are the only possible cars for an apples-to-apples comparison with today.  Most of the "decent cars" from those days, the ones that maybe had the original engine overhauled once, or a paintjob, a new carpet, replaced front seat vinyl, etc . . .  that kind of resto work & parts was not the quality we expect now.  

That was the era when the hobby's huge obsession with originality was cemented.  The reason is because an informed enthusiast could spot a lot of the restoration parts/work at the time from 20 feet away.  

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Rear window trim seems to be AWOL.   I think this one is missing the scissors jack too.   

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 18, 2013, 05:57:39 AM

The first big collectability boom was already happening by 1991-ish.  The numbers in the want-ads from that era look cheap today but inflation is a big part of that.  People were checking out VIN tags & block stampings.  Muscle cars in general had not reached 2006 levels of value, but the Hemis & RTs & wing cars were already way above their low point by then.  

Another big factor is the definition of a decent car in those days.  I think the original-everything survivor cars (original paint, carb has never been off the engine, etc) are the only possible cars for an apples-to-apples comparison with today.  Most of the "decent cars" from those days, the ones that maybe had the original engine overhauled once, or a paintjob, a new carpet, replaced front seat vinyl, etc . . .  that kind of resto work & parts was not the quality we expect now.  

That was the era when the hobby's huge obsession with originality was cemented.  The reason is because an informed enthusiast could spot a lot of the restoration parts/work at the time from 20 feet away.  

Ah, I see.  If I had known about these cars "back in the day" I would've tried to buy one, even though it took all summer long at Mc Donald's to save up the $2000 to buy the one I ended up with lol.  I'll just chalk it up to another missed opportunity... :shruggy:
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

pettybird

Quote from: myk on September 18, 2013, 02:50:41 PM

Ah, I see.  If I had known about these cars "back in the day" I would've tried to buy one, even though it took all summer long at Mc Donald's to save up the $2000 to buy the one I ended up with lol.  I'll just chalk it up to another missed opportunity... :shruggy:

you were already too late for that price level.  Nice Daytonas were north of $25k by then.

Davtona

The first big collectability boom was already happening by 1991-ish.  

Yes well underway by 1991. It started earlier than that. Stock market downturn in 88 started it I believe. Thats when the first investors got in. Before that it was more just the car loving people.

69_500

Does anyone actually think he is going to get 122k?

I agree around 1988 maybe even late in 1987 the prices started up quickly. Figure a Daytona could be had in 1987 for about $6,500 for a driver. By 1990 same car was easily $30k.

ws23rt

As I recall the first collectability boom was happening in the late seventies to early eighties.  I remember this cause I met a few that were actively seeking every thing they could find in the muscle car world and grabbing it up as fast as they could.

The early eighties were a bad time for investments in the stock market and that moved some to speculate in rare cars.

I also remember it as I was looking for my own interest and the prices had jumped high and fast.  The word in the hobby world was that investors had moved the price of our cars out of our pocketbooks.

This situation eased some after that but began again in the early 90s as you said.

In the world of economics one that is looking for a good deal at that time has to move carefully because the prices rise fast to meet the demand.

As for us hobby types we need to keep in focus what are we doing?  Are we investing? or we enjoying the cars?

Unfortunately the market tells us what we need to pay to play. :Twocents:

myk

Well in that case, I don't have to feel bad about now knowing what a wing car was until the late 90's; I never had a chance anyway lol.  I remember scanning classifieds and Auto-Traders for 3 years straight looking for a 2nd 'Gen; I don't ever recall seeing a wing car for sale which supports the idea that the buying craze happened long before I was in a position to buy...

BS27R1B

The Stock Market crash in the Fall of 1987 had investors scrambling to put their money in any investment they could touch and feel. Muscle cars had been gaining in popularity and value through the 80s and investors saw them as a good alternative to their paper investments as they could also be driven and enjoyed as they grew in value.

I will always remember Marvin Hughes showing up at Carlisle in 1985  with a restored(1985 standards) B5 blue 70 Hemi Cuda asking an astronomical $16,000. The car sold quickly and many eyes were opened. Two years later in 1987 that car was probably worth $18,000 before values started to break out.

After the Fall of 1987 Hemi Cudas started to double every year. Heck, I had to pay $16,000 for my 70 Hemi Cuda project around 1988. I could have bought it for $10,000 in 1987!

John Smith sold his pink 70 Hemi Cuda for around $60,000 around 1988 and Rene Deslisle sold his purple 70 Hemi Challenger convertible for $65,000 in 1990! Both cars purchased by Otis Chandler.

1990 was the end of the first boom of however as the Stock Market had returned to form and offered better financial gains for quite a few years. Muscle car values languished and some even slipped through the 90s and early 2000s. 70 Hemi Cudas settled in the $40,000 to $50,000 range and 71s were in the $80,000 range.

Around 2001 interest in cars as an investment started gaining interest. I am sure the TV broadcast of Barrett-Jackson helped. I will not forget an Autumn Bronze 4 speed 71 Hemi Cuda sitting on the market for about 6 months at the time asking $85,000. It was a low mileage numbers car with an original body, decent paint. The color was the problem. The listed price had slipped to $75,000 and a friend of mine started asking about it. Within weeks he bought it after much prodding but he had to pay closer to the $85,000. He sold the car about two months later for $135,000 and the spiral up was on.

The next 71 he bought was $210.000, a Gibson restored Sassy Grass automatic that has appeared on many book covers. That lasted a few months and sold for over $300,000. Things were crash until mid to late 2006 when the wheels started to come off as cars were thrown together to take advantage of the rush and buyers started to wise up. By the time the economy crashed in late 2008 cars, as an investment, had lost their lustre.
' objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are'

Aero426

Yes, 1988 through 1990 was the first big boom in prices where things started to multiply.   

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Aero426 on September 19, 2013, 08:51:47 AM
Yes, 1988 through 1990 was the first big boom in prices where things started to multiply.   

x2 :2thumbs:  Of course this is when I fell in love with Aero cars - LOL.  Happy as a lamb with the last market dip.  My dream came true!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

rob-dirt

I think that bird is the same one that was about a hour from me they wanted 120k and sold it on e bay for 85k http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-PLYMOUTH-ROAD-RUNNER-SUPERBIRD-FJ5-LIMELIGHT-GREEN-/121164142784?_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_1566wt_1047 has the same air cleaner vale cover and blue plug wires- i thought that was good deal ! i dont know what one i would keep both = LOL

held1823

Quote from: rob-dirt on September 19, 2013, 06:25:44 PM
I think that bird is the same one that was about a hour from me they wanted 120k and sold it on e bay for 85k

probably so. both cars have (had?) the same owner for quite a while. click the "my collection" tab near the top left of this linked page for individual photos.

http://www.kopackicars.com/welcomeframe.htm
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053