News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would love your opinions on this

Started by ., September 18, 2013, 09:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,

I'm a new member here  and I'd love to have your opinions on this car available for sale. Here's the link to the website. (in dutch - sorry)
I don't really have any idea about the legitimacy of the price requested - 9.500 euro (~12 684 US Dollars) Is this much - is this few?

An other thing that I have doubts about is the following: The owner lists it as "09/1967" But unless my eyes are lying - this does not look like a '67 charger to me.
As for the price requested - here's another car on sale, for 14500 euro (~19360 US Dollars) and that is in worse shape, which makes me doubt about the price and therefor - about the fact that this might be a fraud.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this.
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world monocular.

Dreamcar

Looks like a 1968 to me. However, the date he's giving you is likely the build date. I'm no expert, but the build date is probably correct for a 68.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 18, 2013, 09:25:04 AM
Looks like a 1968 to me. However, the date he's giving you is likely the build date. I'm no expert, but the build date is probably correct for a 68.
I see, yes that would make sense. Didn't think about that.

maxwellwedge

Yes - September of 1967 would be the second month of production on a 1968 Model.

41husk

Nice looking car for 12k but I would see it in person or have someone take a look.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

It's hard to tell on that first one from the distance they're shooting pictures but it looks to be a very good deal... which would make me nervous. The pics are either too close or too far.

The second one looks like a more honest (or less deceptive) deal to me. The 70 500 is not considered a base model, it's basically the equivalent to a 68 or a 69 SE as far as the trim package goes, and the price seems to be in line with US prices for comparable cars.

If you can get the first one for $12k I'd grab it but it's got to be too good to be true.

Quote from: bull on September 18, 2013, 09:54:47 AM*snip* If you can get the first one for $12k I'd grab it but it's got to be too good to be true.
Yeah I though that aswell - I asked for extra pictures and info from the seller. We'll see what this gives.
Quote from: 41huskNice looking car for 12k but I would see it in person or have someone take a look.
Exactly - If I'd buy this one I'll definitely would do so in person to make a last check on everything.

Thanks for all the responses so far !

6spd68

Quote from: bull on September 18, 2013, 09:54:47 AM
It's hard to tell on that first one from the distance they're shooting pictures but it looks to be a very good deal... which would make me nervous. The pics are either too close or too far.

The second one looks like a more honest (or less deceptive) deal to me. The 70 500 is not considered a base model, it's basically the equivalent to a 68 or a 69 SE as far as the trim package goes, and the price seems to be in line with US prices for comparable cars.

If you can get the first one for $12k I'd grab it but it's got to be too good to be true.

Agreed.

The first one looks way too good to be true.  For that price, I'd pay to import it BACK to Canada lol...  Willing to bet the seller hits you with the "Car is located elsewhere in the custody of a shipping company", followed by; "We should do paypal." Or "We should go through E-bay's secure transaction..." something along those lines.  I've been through this a few times on my quest for a Charger.  Easiest way to tell it's likely a scam, check the prices on the Chargers listed below it.  Notice how most are mid 20s to low 30s?

The second is right on for the money, in Canada a car like that would go for around 16-18K (Would be listed for 20-22)
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Marck

Based on the condition of the car, the obvious error in the description and the price, I smell a scam..  :shruggy:
They are unfortunately very common on both ebay and euro sites such as mobile.de..

MoParJW

This is indeed a scam, car has been listed a couple of times in the past years, in different locations.. also in a small village in my area, and I know there is definitely no charger there.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

6spd68

Quote from: MoParJW on September 19, 2013, 05:40:33 AM
This is indeed a scam, car has been listed a couple of times in the past years, in different locations.. also in a small village in my area, and I know there is definitely no charger there.

It's a shame when people do this.  I had the same guy respond to my e-mails 3 times last year on different under-priced chargers...  People like that will always exist though.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

Tilar

Quote from: . on September 18, 2013, 09:10:03 AM
Hello,

I'm a new member here  and I'd love to have your opinions on this car available for sale. Here's the link to the website. (in dutch - sorry)
I don't really have any idea about the legitimacy of the price requested - 9.500 euro (~12 684 US Dollars) Is this much - is this few?

An other thing that I have doubts about is the following: The owner lists it as "09/1967" But unless my eyes are lying - this does not look like a '67 charger to me.
As for the price requested - here's another car on sale, for 14500 euro (~19360 US Dollars) and that is in worse shape, which makes me doubt about the price and therefor - about the fact that this might be a fraud.

It's for sure a 68 and doesn't look like a bad price at all. Welcome to the forum but I have one question... How exactly do you pronounce your name?  :D
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Fred

Quote from: Tilar on September 19, 2013, 06:41:57 PM
Hello,

It's for sure a 68 and doesn't look like a bad price at all. Welcome to the forum but I have one question... How exactly do you pronounce your name?  :D

I'm guessing it's pronounced "Dot" so he is a she!    :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

I'll notify the website that this is a fraud and ask them to remove it.
Quote from: Fred on September 20, 2013, 01:29:42 AM
Hello,

I'm sure this can be pronounced in various ways, I'll let you experiment with it a bit.  ;D And I'm a he.

Fred

Quote from: . on September 20, 2013, 03:42:13 AM
I'll notify the website that this is a fraud and ask them to remove it.
Quote from: Fred on September 20, 2013, 01:29:42 AM
Hello,

I'm sure this can be pronounced in various ways, I'll let you experiment with it a bit.  ;D And I'm a he.

:yesnod: You're quite right and I tried most of them but Dot sounded the nicest so I went with that.   :scratchchin:   :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Quote from: Fred on September 20, 2013, 03:50:58 AM
:yesnod: You're quite right and I tried most of them but Dot sounded the nicest so I went with that.   :scratchchin:   :icon_smile_big:
Yeah Dot does sound the best - Thats how I'd pronounce it aswell

Now I've received reply from the "seller" - apparently the car is in Lancaster Uk now - as is the seller. Apperently he just moved from Germany. (yet, the car was advertised as if it was in Holland..  :lol: )
He offers to ship the car - or I can even go and get it (though - I'm pretty sure any date I would put forward would probably not be possible for him.)

According to him his reason is that he can't drive the car in england because he's not used to driving the other side of the road etc..
Quote from: mail from the the so-called sellerDo you speak English? I am sorry, but my Dutch is not so good.
The price of the car is 9500 euro.
You can see in the attachment a document with more photos.

Situation of the car: The car is in excellent condition, no flaws or any other mechanical problems. It comes with the title, bill of sale, history book, serviced only with authorized representatives, etc.
Other details: coupe, 09/1967, 239 kw (325 hp), 6265 cm3, 383 cui V8 Big Block, gasoline, automatic transmission, 155600 km (96600 miles), power steering, leather, alloy wheels, radio, silver-blue metallic paint, chrome rims (front 235, back 295), USA import (2010), classic certificate, good condition

Reasons for selling: I used to work for a company located in Germany. When I stayed in Germany I also bought the car, in 2010. 2 months ago I moved to a new company, which is located in Lancaster, UK. I have a very good job now, and I plan on staying in Lancaster for a long time, and driving here with a left steering car can be a complete nightmare. I haven't adapted quite well, and I want to buy a car with a right steering to fit the roads and rules that apply here.

I am in Lancaster, and the car is also here. The car can be shipped or you can come to take it.

I look forward to your answer.

Michael Lak

these are the pictures he added. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61472747/Charger-Photos.pdf
He must have toured half to world to take pictures in all these places  ;D or he just got them from the internetz (in one of the picture the car looks way more blue then it does on the others)

What now?

6spd68

Tell him you want to come see the car in Lancaster.  Ask for current pics of the car as it sits before you make the trek.  See what he says from there.  I've heard that story before though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.  Have seen scam adds similar to this in Canada over the last few years.  As soon as he talks about wiring the money before the sale, that's a red flag.  Mind you, cash in hand is also a decent lil stick'em up robery scheme.

If it is legit, you'd have most of the people on this forum pretty jealous of you(myself included).  After everything you'd have an amazing car for a lot less then they usually go for. 
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

Quote from: 6spd68 on September 20, 2013, 10:45:09 AM
Tell him you want to come see the car in Lancaster.  Ask for current pics of the car as it sits before you make the trek.  See what he says from there.  I've heard that story before though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.  Have seen scam adds similar to this in Canada over the last few years.  As soon as he talks about wiring the money before the sale, that's a red flag.  Mind you, cash in hand is also a decent lil stick'em up robery scheme.

If it is legit, you'd have most of the people on this forum pretty jealous of you(myself included).  After everything you'd have an amazing car for a lot less then they usually go for. 
I asked him for a picture of the car with my name on a piece of paper close to the car.
QuoteHello Michael.

I'm thinking about seeing the car in Lancaster. Could you just take some a picture of the car with a sheet of paper in front of it with my name on it please? (put it on the windows or so.)
You don't have to take it out of the garage or anything special - just a simple picture. The reason I'm asking for this is because every now and then there's a fake charger for sale - so this is just to make sure there actually is a car there in Lancaster.
Nothing personal but I'd like to be certain - you can never be too careful.

Greetings,
If this would not be scam I'd be very happy indeed - But I'm not having all that much faith in it.

Marck

Quote from: . on September 20, 2013, 09:59:08 AM
Now I've received reply from the "seller" - apparently the car is in Lancaster Uk now - as is the seller. Apperently he just moved from Germany. (yet, the car was advertised as if it was in Holland..  :lol: )
He offers to ship the car - or I can even go and get it (though - I'm pretty sure any date I would put forward would probably not be possible for him.)

According to him his reason is that he can't drive the car in england because he's not used to driving the other side of the road etc..
Quote from: mail from the the so-called sellerDo you speak English? I am sorry, but my Dutch is not so good.
The price of the car is 9500 euro.
You can see in the attachment a document with more photos.

Situation of the car: The car is in excellent condition, no flaws or any other mechanical problems. It comes with the title, bill of sale, history book, serviced only with authorized representatives, etc.
Other details: coupe, 09/1967, 239 kw (325 hp), 6265 cm3, 383 cui V8 Big Block, gasoline, automatic transmission, 155600 km (96600 miles), power steering, leather, alloy wheels, radio, silver-blue metallic paint, chrome rims (front 235, back 295), USA import (2010), classic certificate, good condition

Reasons for selling: I used to work for a company located in Germany. When I stayed in Germany I also bought the car, in 2010. 2 months ago I moved to a new company, which is located in Lancaster, UK. I have a very good job now, and I plan on staying in Lancaster for a long time, and driving here with a left steering car can be a complete nightmare. I haven't adapted quite well, and I want to buy a car with a right steering to fit the roads and rules that apply here.

I am in Lancaster, and the car is also here. The car can be shipped or you can come to take it.

I look forward to your answer.

Michael Lak

these are the pictures he added. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61472747/Charger-Photos.pdf
He must have toured half to world to take pictures in all these places  ;D or he just got them from the internetz (in one of the picture the car looks way more blue then it does on the others)

What now?

I've tried the exactly same type before.. I told the dirtbag that my father would be comming to his city for 2 weeks on business, and could inspect the car for me.. Surprisingly he was out of town for the exact same period.. What are the odds?  :shruggy: :icon_smile_big:

6spd68

Quote from: Marck on September 20, 2013, 01:14:51 PM

I've tried the exactly same type before.. I told the dirtbag that my father would be comming to his city for 2 weeks on business, and could inspect the car for me.. Surprisingly he was out of town for the exact same period.. What are the odds?  :shruggy: :icon_smile_big:

Always.  5$ says this guy is in Spain or a completely different country.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

six-tee-nine

Hi, .

I'm in BE also.

Anyway it seems like a ridiculously cheap 68. A running and driving 2nd gen in fair condition looking pretty like that one should go easily for twice that money.

The car is located in the Netherlands, but is the import fee payed? otherwise you will still need to pay that before bringing to Belgium. Is the title there and clear?
For that price there just has to be something wrong with it.

Call the guy, go see it, shoot a sh*tload of pictures and put them on here. Ask for all the documents, take pictures of them also.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

6spd68

If the guy was legit, the car would already be gone  :Twocents:
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

I haven't heard from the guy ever since i requested the new pictures. I guess he found a more easy victim

Quote from: Cooter on September 23, 2013, 03:23:33 PM
DOT
Department
Of
Trsnsportation?
Dodge's Obviously Top  :lol: