News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone Here Ever Bought This Kit?

Started by Shakey, March 01, 2006, 07:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I need to put all new axle seals in my 742 8 3/4 rear differential and now I am told I will need new bearings as well.

Has anyone here purchased the Rear Axle Bearing Set kit from Mopar Performance?  Part # P5249444.

Muscle > Drivetrain and Rear Axle Components > Rear Axle Components > Rear Axle Bearing Set

This Rear Axle Bearing Set was specifically designed to eliminate the production bearing retainers and axle end play adjuster. Set contains two axle shaft bearings, two bearing retainer sleeves, two axle shaft seals and two axle flange gaskets.

What did you think?

http://www.mopar.com/muscle/index.html

Any other options?

firefighter3931

Those are the "green bearings" which many people use. Opinions are mixed but personally, i like them. Mike, i have a set of those on my freshly built Dana 60 that's going in the 68.  :icon_smile_big:

Our mod Chris (6t9) has had them on his car for several years with no issues.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Shakey

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 01, 2006, 09:04:49 PM
Those are the "green bearings" which many people use. Opinions are mixed but personally, i like them. Mike, i have a set of those on my freshly built Dana 60 that's going in the 68.  :icon_smile_big:

Our mod Chris (6t9) has had them on his car for several years with no issues.  :yesnod:

Ron

7 years, from what I read when I was searching this topic.

I was glad you chimed in.  Check your PM's later tonight or Thursday.  Thanks Ron.   :thumbs:

Johnny SixPack

Ron

Yup!

Wish I'd used them when I had to replace the bearings on my "70.  :rotz:

Didn't know any better at the time though. :icon_smile_shy:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

firefighter3931

Message recieved and response sent....Mike you've got mail.  ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

John_Kunkel

Green Bearing Company makes 2 different styles of Mopar (8 3/4" and Dana) conversion wheel bearings.

1. Old style (RP-400). The bearing retainer is crimped to the outer race. The bearing retainer can break off, allowing the bearing to fall inside the housing end. This style is unforgiving when used in bent housings (most housings are not straight). These are still sold through Mopar Performance.

2. MO-400, ST-400 (Snap-ring style). The outer race has a groove and spiral-lock arrangement that butts up against the outside edge of the brake backing plate. The loose bearing retainer bolts on top of the spiral lock to secure the bearing. Many prefer this "loose fit" design. It is simple and durable. New Wilwood kits require this style.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im going on 8 years with mine now.  I would assume I have the old style.  No problems as of yet...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Quote from: formula_440 on March 01, 2006, 09:15:55 PM

Ron

Yup!

What did you use when you replaced the bearings in your '70?

I am going to assume you used this kit when you did your '69.  Do you notice a difference?

Shakey

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 02, 2006, 05:13:27 PM
Green Bearing Company makes 2 different styles of Mopar (8 3/4" and Dana) conversion wheel bearings.

1. Old style (RP-400). The bearing retainer is crimped to the outer race. The bearing retainer can break off, allowing the bearing to fall inside the housing end. This style is unforgiving when used in bent housings (most housings are not straight). These are still sold through Mopar Performance.

2. MO-400, ST-400 (Snap-ring style). The outer race has a groove and spiral-lock arrangement that butts up against the outside edge of the brake backing plate. The loose bearing retainer bolts on top of the spiral lock to secure the bearing. Many prefer this "loose fit" design. It is simple and durable. New Wilwood kits require this style.

My next question prior to seeing this post was about Green Bearings.  I was not sure if that was a style / type of bearing or a brand name. 

Are there competitors of Green Bearings making a smiliar / better product?

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 02, 2006, 06:50:47 PM
Im going on 8 years with mine now.  I would assume I have the old style.  No problems as of yet...

When you were rebuilding your rear differential did you consider using the original style tappered bearings?

What made you go with Green Bearings?

Shakey

What kinda got me started questioning the Green Bearings vs. the original style tappered bearings was this quote:

QuoteGreen Bearing Company builds a bearing kit that replaces the cone-type wheel bearings. These are sealed roller bearing units that do not require end play adjustment, however they offer no side to side support, and fail quickly in street applications. These are drag race bearings only (the manufacturer even lists them under the "Racing" segment of their catalog). Green Part No. RP400.

From the bottom of the page in this link:

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

My Father-in-Law says that we can put either or in the car and he is also curious as to what is best.  I think he is leaning towards the original style bearings, I just need to get the bearing collar to hold them in place as I will need new ones after I remove the old ones.

I see that this web site offers a Mopar # 3683966, an "axle bearing service kit" that should include all of the items I need for the rebuild.  After a bit of digging I see that the number is ss to about 6 different numbers.  I have yet to contact my Chrysler dealers parts department to find out what is available.

Has anyone here purchased the "axle bearing service kit" from a dealer that included the original style bearings?  What Mopar # did you use to order?

Thanks guys.

beenaround

shakey 3683966 has been cancelled by mopar,so if you want the original style bearing you will have to go aftermarket.it should come with the collar.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Shakey on March 03, 2006, 07:45:10 AM
Quote from: formula_440 on March 01, 2006, 09:15:55 PM

Ron

Yup!

What did you use when you replaced the bearings in your '70?

I am going to assume you used this kit when you did your '69.  Do you notice a difference?

For the "70 the shop used an aftermarket version of the original type bearings.

The "69 has only required the fronts being swapped out so far.

When I switch to the Wilwood brakes here in the near future I'll have to go Green from what John K. is saying though.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Shakey on March 03, 2006, 07:49:59 AM

When you were rebuilding your rear differential did you consider using the original style tappered bearings?

They were free ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Runner

i just bought a set of dutchman axles from doctordiff,   acording to him, the nice ting about going to a green bearing when running a clutch type sure grip is,  you can eliminate the thrust button in the suregrip and spec a little longer axle to get more spline engagement. i choose to go this route.   

good luck on whatever you deside

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 03, 2006, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: Shakey on March 03, 2006, 07:49:59 AM

They were free ;)

I didn't know they used them on transit buses.

Shakey

Quote from: Runner on March 03, 2006, 07:26:38 PM
i just bought a set of dutchman axles from doctordiff,   acording to him, the nice ting about going to a green bearing when running a clutch type sure grip is,  you can eliminate the thrust button in the suregrip and spec a little longer axle to get more spline engagement. i choose to go this route.   

good luck on whatever you deside

Thanks for that tip.  I like consistencey and Ron had told me that this morning.

Can I ask why you went with dutchman axles?  What are they?  How are they different / better than the stock axle that came with the car.

Just curious.

Runner

i felt i was testing the limits of stock axles,  my car is a street car that i race sometimes. i bolt slicks on and its gone 1.61 60 foot times. a broken axle can cause a car to turn hard to the direction of the broken axle,  ive heard of this happening to 12 second cars and mine is now a solid 11 second car.  aftermarket axles are just plain stronger.  i was split between, dutchmans, moser, and strange and i was leaning heavily toward strange.  again i consulted with cass from doctor diff and he seels both strange and dutchmans, he said that strange are a little harder than dutchmans and are a little better suited for a dedicated race car but the duutchmans are better suited to the street-strip car because they are a little softer(therefor more forgiving).     axles, bearings , studs shiped to my door was 400 dollars. strange, moser and dutchmans are all well established companys and are all priced about the same so price wasnt an issue.   i went through doctor diff because hes a mopar guy, knew the exact length i needed and i didnt have to fill out any forms and measure the old stuff. plus he is very helpful. 

firefighter3931

I agree with the Dr.Diff comments. Cass built the Dana that's going in my 68 with a few upgrades : 35 spline strange axles, green bearings and 3in studs. The side gears on the SG unit were upgraded to 35 spline to match the new street/strip axles. Dutchman is also an excellent product....if you snap one of those you're making a lot of power and your hook is dead on !

With an automatic and street tires you're hard pressed to break even a stock axle. Slicks, and lots of stallspeed are what will eventually hurt them.

Mike (Shakey) for your purposes the stock axles ar fine. Have a look at the splined ends for signs of twist...if they're straight, press on the new bearings and reinstall.

Ron

Ps. Great talking with ya this morning  :icon_smile_big:

Shakey

Thanks again fellas.

I am going to be picking up the bearings today and we will look them over.  After a bit of research, the collar that I thought was hard to find, just might be coming with the bearings.

I am getting BCA / Federal Mogul bearings from Car-Quest.

I am not sure if any of you have used this site listed below but I found it to be very infomative.  It offers pics of the products in their on-line catalouge as well as the original OEM part number.

https://mfr.activant.com/mfrserv/extsrv?command=vehicleExt&extusr=fmoguest&extsupplier=FMOFull

We haven't ruled out Green Bearings just yet.  I certainly learned a lot about them over the past two days, all of the pros and cons.

Runner, your car sounds like it is pretty sweet.  If you have already posted pics, post a link so I can take a look at it and if not post some pics please, I'd like to see it.   :thumbs:

Finally, yes Ron I also had a good time on the telephone yesterday AM.  It's a good thing someone else was paying those long distance charges.   :D

I also had a beer last night with Dodge Don.  It will take some work but we just might be able to talk him into Carlisle instead of the Nationals.   :cheers:

Runner

the retaining collar that holds the bearing on usually comes in the bearing set.

i hope i didnt sound like i was trying to sell you aftermarket axles, you asked what the benifits were and i just stated why i went to them.    i have a 68 satellite 383 car that runs decent and i have no plans to upgrade the axles in it.    good luck with the brearings install,  they are acually pretty easy to do if you have a press or access to one. 

i dont have a charger, infact we only have 1 dodge muscle car in the family, the rest is plymouth junk.

heres some pics of some of our stuff

my wifes highschool car
http://www.pbase.com/runner1971/image/37409056
at the track
http://www.pbase.com/runner1971/image/50608896
my daughters car, a superbee clone
http://www.pbase.com/runner1971/image/37408504
my daily driver
http://www.pbase.com/runner1971/image/37409568
someday this will be my wifes driver, im still putting it together
http://www.pbase.com/runner1971/image/54589729

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on March 04, 2006, 11:39:43 AM

i dont have a charger, infact we only have 1 dodge muscle car in the family, the rest is plymouth junk.

Nice Junk....Dodge, Plymouth....it's all good !  :devil: Some of my best friends drive Plymouths and i don't hold it against them  :nana: :lol: :cheers:

Ron

kamkuda

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 04, 2006, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: Runner on March 04, 2006, 11:39:43 AM

Nice Junk....Dodge, Plymouth....it's all good !  :devil: Some of my best friends drive Plymouths and i don't hold it against them  :nana: :lol: :cheers:

Ron

Nice Cars Runner.  Quite the fleet!

;) My Plymouth Road Runner is keeping Ron's Dodge Charger company so it's not lonely for the winter.  They are family :icon_smile_big:

Runner

thanks guys,    the winter has really made me loose some interest in the cars,  the pink car should be way farther along but i just dont feel like going into the shop.    but signs of spring are starting to show up and that will motivate me.