News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know what kind of performace can be had out of a 400 without stroking it?

Started by sixty-niner, September 19, 2013, 10:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty-niner

Hello all,  I have a 400 in my charger and have been debating with making it a stroker or not.  I have 2 questions
question 1 
I always hear of people stroking their 400 blocks but rarely do I ever hear of what kind of HP and power numbers can be had with just a 400.  I know that mopar muscle got 426 HP out of a 400 with iron heads and some KB pistons upping the compression to 10:1.  What kind of performance can be had out of a 400 anyway?  Does anyone have any experience with one?

question 2   how does one make a high revving 451 as opposed to a low revving 451? 

Supercharged Riot

Id say take a look at some threads in the proven performance section
Theres a couple of impressive 451 builds

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,78039.0.html

Heres my take, depending on your goals and budget of course.
Engine blocks can only be rebuilt so many times, so you might as well get the most out of it. For myself, i want reliablility and more han stock power. Im ditching all my cast internals in my 440

green69rt

There's always pros and cons.  I've read that the later 400 blocks are great for stroking.  Good block strength, extra webbing.   So if you want something in the 450 CI range  it works great.  Advantages are... it is lighter that the 440.  It is shorter so you can have more options on the intake.
So a stroked 400 or a stock 440, maybe the stroked 400 wins.. :shruggy:

Cons are...a 440 is still bigger and you can stroke it to a bigger engine.  So if the ultimate size is what you're after, start with the 440. So a stroked 400 or a stroked 440 I would give the win to the 440... Anyone got an opinion???

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

Never been around just a regular 400, but I say anywhere around 450hp would be about the limit considering these engines had cast cranks.  By the time you invest in the rest of the engine with forged or hypeutic pistons, and maybe a set of decent heads to get to that mark, you might as well just buy a forged crank for it as well.  If going with that expense, you might as just well go with a 440 crank instead of a 383/400 crank.

Ghoste

Not a fan of cast cranks either BUT, I will say a lot of the brand X cars used cast cranks and they made some impressive power numbers and reliably too.  And some of them without the added benefit of Chrysler's deep skirt blocks.
The 400 gets a bad rap in stock form and one of the things everyone ppoints to is the cast crank but I think when it comes to crankshafts us Mopar folks are spoiled since most of our stuff came stock with a forged crank.
I think without stroking it you could get as much power as any 383 but I'm no expert for sure.  Strokers 450 estimate could be pretty accurate but thats not a bad number for a relatively stock engine from that era at all.

Supercharged Riot

You can gave my cast 440 crank for free. seriously...I dont want it.
Im getting a forged crank.

Ghoste

They have their place but I'll defer to the first 7 words in my last post.  We are spoiled though.

sixty-niner

thats just it, no one really builds a 400.  And I haven't heard of any 500 hp 400 blocks out there, either 440's or strokers.  I will stroke it I think.  I had a brand new one, then my psycho neighbor stole it, and he has too many dogs to go looking through his yard.   :flame:

JB400

If you want to be a little bit different, build up the 400 as such.  It'd make for another conversation area on your car.  Our recommendations for using a 440 crank was to make it easier to gain some hp and torque numbers.  It just really depends on how you intend to use the car.  If it's just a street cruiser, a regular 400 would be sufficient. If you intend to see the strip once in a while, then I'd go with the 440 crank. 

sixty-niner

I want the car to be a street and track car, I jumped into the hotchkis challenger at MATTS with Mary Possi behind the wheel and that was it!!  It was like a roller coaster and I have wanted to race the car ever since.  I have no interest in the drag strip for now but I will be tracking the car as much as possible and just cruising around in it.

green69rt

Quote from: sixty-niner on September 21, 2013, 12:44:44 AM
I want the car to be a street and track car, I jumped into the hotchkis challenger at MATTS with Mary Possi behind the wheel and that was it!!  It was like a roller coaster and I have wanted to race the car ever since.  I have no interest in the drag strip for now but I will be tracking the car as much as possible and just cruising around in it.

From what I've read on this site and in the hot rod mags, I would guess that the 400 is a better fit for your needs.  The 400 is lighter than the 440 so that will make for better weight distribution on you car (it will still be a heavy, old car but will be better than other similar cars on the track.)  I would bet you could get 500 HP out of it fairly easy, but I can't guess on how streetable such an engine would be, stroked or not. :Twocents:

Charlie, whats your build look like, any estimates of HP/TQ?

ACUDANUT

A stock 4 barrel 383 will be beat a stock 400 any day.  Trying to put a 440 Crank into a 400 is not going to as cheap as a stock 400 build.

Cooter

Quote from: sixty-niner on September 20, 2013, 07:51:28 PM
thats just it, no one really builds a 400.  And I haven't heard of any 500 hp 400 blocks out there, either 440's or strokers.  I will stroke it I think.  I had a brand new one, then my psycho neighbor stole it, and he has too many dogs to go looking through his yard.   :flame:

Everything that is NOT done is usually done for a reason.
There's 406 ci SMALL block chevies right out the factory.
Also, the lowvdeck bb chrysler engine has less stroke than a damn small block chevy 350...

Junk in stock 400 form...too much piston and no stroke.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mhinders

You can get good performance in a non-stroked 400 engine...get the compression up, make sure you have good flowing heads and intake. The big pistons are good for big valves.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

XH29N0G

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 20, 2013, 11:14:01 PM
If you want to be a little bit different, build up the 400 as such.  It'd make for another conversation area on your car.  Our recommendations for using a 440 crank was to make it easier to gain some hp and torque numbers.  It just really depends on how you intend to use the car.  If it's just a street cruiser, a regular 400 would be sufficient. If you intend to see the strip once in a while, then I'd go with the 440 crank. 

It may be better to think in terms of torque.  The longer stroke of the 440 crank will make a difference there and give you power lower in the RPM range.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

JB400

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 21, 2013, 06:11:47 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 20, 2013, 11:14:01 PM

It may be better to think in terms of torque.  The longer stroke of the 440 crank will make a difference there and give you power lower in the RPM range.
Good point. 

ws23rt

Torque is what gets you up to speed.  Horsepower is what holds the speed :yesnod:

fy469rtse

Mitch go with the 440 stroked, done both , if weight is the issue, not a great deal of difference , the big saving in weight is the following aftermarket bit's, alloy water pump and housing heads intake manifold , after market stroker kits , pistons and rods lighter, all adds up to a lot less weight over the nose,
If doing the 400 , use the steel crank out of a 383 , if not going the stroker option ,
No need to even consider using the stock cast 400's crank.
Can't under the thinking here , a motor is a pump , the more air you can move the more efficient right, so bigger bore's to the 400 , done this engine before both stock and stroker, most people under rate this motor because of the experience with it in stock low compression configuration ,
Imagine if you could bore out a 383 to this engines stock bore, bigger bore than a 440 , even with a stock steel crank but with lighter after market rods and a decent lighter piston , basically a 383 with a bigger bore, if its what you have to start with I say go for it ,

Cooter

Bottom line is TORQUE is king on the street. HP is like the hemi....it gets all the attention, but in reallity, torque is what you use the most...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cudaken

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 21, 2013, 09:30:26 AM
A stock 4 barrel 383 will be beat a stock 400 any day. 

:scratchchin: Yea that was what I thought in 1973.  :eek2: Friend bought a new 73 Roar Runner with a 400. On paper my 68 Road Runner should have cleaned his clock. Well, it was a tie and I was stunned. Dave did have his 73 super tuned by the dealership so I guess that was it?  :shruggy:

Far as the cask crank, my old DC Manual states the crank is good for 500 HP. Yes the forged one is better but the cast one is not junk. Main thing I don't I don't like the looks of the cast balancer.  :shruggy: Just funny about some things.

Horse Power comes from heads, get good flowing heads (worked 906's are good but after market is better) get the compression up to 10.0 to 1 and have the Block Deck Blue Printed and you will have a fun 400 in your car! :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

cdr

for a 400 cid to make a REAL 500 hp it will make its peak hp at about 6400 rpm.
a 470 cid with the same head flow would make right at the same hp at 5400 rpm
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Scaregrabber

The 400 4 barrels ran good for what they were, I'd take a 400 4 bbl over a 71 low compression 383 anyday. I'd build one without thinking twice, I would use custom pistons on it is all, if you want compression in a 383 you need custom pistons as well so that's a wash.

Sheldon

cudaken

Quote from: Scaregrabber on September 22, 2013, 06:17:49 PM
The 400 4 barrels ran good for what they were, I'd take a 400 4 bbl over a 71 low compression 383 anyday. I'd build one without thinking twice, I would use custom pistons on it is all, if you want compression in a 383 you need custom pistons as well so that's a wash.

Sheldon

Sheldon, the stock pistons will make the advertized compression if the block height is correct. Maw Mopar was real sloppy when it came to BB deck height! I would guess that 85% of there motors where + .10 to .30 in deck height! A 68 383 with the correct deck height will make 10:00 to 1 compression if the block has a zero deck height.

While compression is important it was Neil (Chryco Psycho) that really opened my eyes about deck height! It is not the lost of compression from 10 to 1 to 9 to 1, about 10 to 15 HP. It is taking .10 to .30 off cam lift, duration and head to intake alignment!  :brickwall:

Cuda Ken
I am back

c00nhunterjoe

I love seeing the claims that you need a long stroke to make torque. Do some research and reading. There have been lots of dyno pulls made on same cubic inch engine with differnt bore/stroke combos and the end result was the same. The bottom line is a 440 makes more torque then a 383 because it has 57 more cubes....then same reason a 500 has more torque then a 440.
  I like big bore, short stroke, long rod. Keeps the piston up top longer, good quench, faster reving, longer street life.