News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why restore an old car?

Started by Tilar, September 21, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

No, I did not write this. Got if from For A bodies only. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=250896  Still a good read and brings to light the way some of us feel about our cars.

its quite amazing to think of a life a car ...its new and something special as a shiny new car and possibly new found freedom for a youngster with a new license, one possibility among many.

it lives and functions the way it was to and with age it depreciates in value, both in importance as well as money value.....then it starts showing its age as time goes on and most likely replaced by the next new shiny thing.

possibly ends up on a used car lot and finds a new owner with speed to reflect its condition.

grows old and parked in a backyard behind a barn after maybe a small problem occurs and forgotten.

the car itself will itself will become victim to time like many people who live life then wake up someday and realize just how fast time flies by ........what seemed like a summer ago is in fact a decade ago. as the backyard the car sits in changes faces many times, it sits ...not sure of what is in store in the next decade.

finally comes a time that so much time has past that the car is actually worth something now whether the owner is aware or not.

and that is exactly why a car is worth more than money.....you cant buy time.....time slips through hands like sand and disappears into the ground just as fast, and once its gone it can never be re-claimed.
so to find a 40 year old car that has survived all the chances of fender benders through its life ....survived scrappers when it was of age to not be worth much on the market or in importance.....and survives all the twists and turns of life ....its quite amazing actually.

then out of no where a FABO member gets ahold of the car ....the car one day sees a person who gives it an inspection and long overdue attention and sees an exchange of papers with its previous owner and suddenly its being pulled from the earth and given a ride on a trailer after so long of feeling the wind of the road and taken to a garage to be stripped down and rebuilt ....renewed

to the restorer, the previous life of the car is unknown but to the restorer the car and the life of the car mean something.

whether it be a feeling of recapturing a precious time that will never literally be reclaimed but to hold on to a piece of a time disappeared will somehow bring the restorer closer to it.

maybe its a sense of freedom .....maybe its a joy of renewing something that is a hard thing to do in a world where everything decays and dies eventually .....nothing in this world is immune to the destiny of returning to the earth as the earth itself dies everyday and renews itself in a vicious cycle.

To me its a sense of the thrill of the renewal and a sense of freedom to be able to be the reason an item is renewed that would otherwise whiter away and die.

Why do you restore an old car ...what do you really get out of it?....is it really always about money?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

That last line's question can he answered by looking at the 69 hemi Charger for sale thread....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

For me I think I have some inner masochistic streak.

ws23rt

I have asked myself the question many times over the years.  Sometimes about the same car that has been sitting for years.

The answer changes as the years pass but the car still sits.

So the question may go beyond the car.    Why do we get up in the morning?

I have several long lasting projects. Work and life take their toll on time to play.  But the place to go when there is time is an unfinished project.

Finishing a car is almost impossible. (there is always something that needs to be done).  But in the end working on the project is what this hobby is mostly about. If the car is done than something needs to follow.  Another car?

Baldwinvette77

i never "restored" a car but i have heavily modified cars back to life if that counts  :shruggy: and i to be honest, i dont know, i just cant think of anything else i'd rather do, why do some people do lawn-care??  :eek2:

myk

Restoration ain't for the faint hearted or the light-of-wallet.  Godspeed to those of you who are working to preserve and revive these cars...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

I don't see much folks restoring the new challengers/chargers in 30 years.  Just my opinion...

70moparman

Quote from: Cooter on September 21, 2013, 06:35:12 PM
That last line's question can he answered by looking at the 69 hemi Charger for sale thread....
LOL  :lol:

70moparman

Cars back then had class and style ~ People will go out of thier way, and pay what it takes, to have thier chance to own such  a piece of machinery.  I am no exception, I would rather buy a 43 year old project vs anything "new"... Actually, make that any car made since 1973...  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :Twocents:

Dino

Because if you have the means to do it, it is a very rewarding job.  I did it for a living, so there was my motivation right there.   :icon_smile_big:

Now I do it just for the fun of it, but I'd never restore a car for profit any more, there's much better ways to make money these days.

I applaud any person taking a car and bringing it back to life because of sentimental reasons or simply because the car was not too far gone.  And in this society of use it once then bury it in a landfill, it's nice to see some things being reused.  Even if it's an old car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Quote from: Dino on September 22, 2013, 08:08:49 AM
Because if you have the means to do it, it is a very rewarding job.  I did it for a living, so there was my motivation right there.   :icon_smile_big:

Now I do it just for the fun of it, but I'd never restore a car for profit any more, there's much better ways to make money these days.

I applaud any person taking a car and bringing it back to life because of sentimental reasons or simply because the car was not too far gone.  And in this society of use it once then bury it in a landfill, it's nice to see some things being reused.  Even if it's an old car.

:cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

I did/do it for many reasons. Nostalgia, sentiment and necessity. "Necessity" because there was really no other way to attain my perfect car than to restore one. It's doubtful I would ever have managed to save the cash to buy one finished simply because the motivation just wouldn't have been there had my goal been a theoretical "someday" rather than a real object. Basically I would not have had the discipline to save $30k but once the parts are purchased and installed it became a self-perpetuating process.

JB400

Why would I restore a car?   

For the love of the automobile. :vert:

F8-4life

Why restore a car? To get away from people of course!

70moparman

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 22, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

would you restore a 2010 challenger.........

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 23, 2013, 12:26:10 AM

Some cars are beyond saving, J/K!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

that was my poiny lol....some cars have no sould no heritage....back then cars were built with love, passion etc..now its about getting them out asap..

Quote from: myk on September 23, 2013, 12:27:03 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 23, 2013, 12:26:10 AM

Some cars are beyond saving, J/K!

tan top

Quote from: bill440rt on September 22, 2013, 08:29:09 AM
Quote from: Dino on September 22, 2013, 08:08:49 AM

:cheers:

:yesnod: :yesnod:  :iagree:  :cheers:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Back N Black

Why restore an old car? Because its not just a car!

> From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a car,"
> or,"that's a lot of money for "just a car".
> They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the
> costs involved for "just a car." Some of my proudest moments have come
> about with "just a car."
> Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a car," but I did
> not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought
> about by "just a car", and in those days of darkness, the simple sound
> of "just a car" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
> If you, too, think it's "just a car", then you will probably
> understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a
> promise."
> "Just a car" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
> trust, and pure unbridled joy.
> "Just a car" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a
> better person.
> Because of "just a car" I will rise early, labour long weekends, and
look
> longingly to gearhead magazines.
> So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a car" but an embodiment
> of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the
> past, and the pure joy of the moment.
> "Just a car" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
> away.
> I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a car"
> but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
man."
> So the next time you hear the phrase "just a car" just smile, because
> they "just" don't understand.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

I wonder how many had to endure the comments back in thec70s and 80s ???
Comments from older gents they worked with or family even. Back when these cars were 'money pits' instead oily f "investments"....
I wonder who would be restoring these things today if the same were true???
THATS real love of the car....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

F8-4life

Quote from: Back N Black on September 23, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
Why restore an old car? Because its not just a car!

> From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a car,"
> or,"that's a lot of money for "just a car".
> They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the
> costs involved for "just a car." Some of my proudest moments have come
> about with "just a car."
> Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a car," but I did
> not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought
> about by "just a car", and in those days of darkness, the simple sound
> of "just a car" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
> If you, too, think it's "just a car", then you will probably
> understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a
> promise."
> "Just a car" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
> trust, and pure unbridled joy.
> "Just a car" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a
> better person.
> Because of "just a car" I will rise early, labour long weekends, and
look
> longingly to gearhead magazines.
> So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a car" but an embodiment
> of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the
> past, and the pure joy of the moment.
> "Just a car" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
> away.
> I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a car"
> but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
man."
> So the next time you hear the phrase "just a car" just smile, because
> they "just" don't understand.  :2thumbs:

YES! Great post I agree 100%

tan top

Quote from: Cooter on September 23, 2013, 11:55:59 AM
I wonder how many had to endure the comments back in thec70s and 80s ???
Comments from older gents they worked with or family even. Back when these cars were 'money pits' instead oily f "investments"....
I wonder who would be restoring these things today if the same were true???
THATS real love of the car....

:yesnod:  yeah that's true  ,   for me its the love of the car not how much money they are worth ,  when I got my first job , & started saving for the charger , remember stick I would get from friends  , parents ,saying wasting your money on one of them ole crates , I said I don't care , bit like arnie in Christine . what ever it is its not enough  :lol:  :lol:  , they all knew what awesome cars these were &  my  parents knew I've loved the 69 charger since seeing DMCL in the late 70s then DOH ,  so even if they became worthless  over night ,  :coolgleamA: would buy  another one or two  or three  , & spend more more money & time on them than I should   :lol: :lol: :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html