News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Uhaul Trailer: Anyone transported a Charger on one?

Started by NYCMille, October 07, 2013, 04:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hey guys -

Has anyone ever transported a 2nd Gen Charger on a U-haul trailer before? Need to go from San Fran to LA and honestly, don't feel like driving it down.

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks -mike

cdr

unless they are made different now,no it wont fit, especially with fat tires.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1BAD68

I hauled my 70 Charger on one years ago about 120 miles, no problem.
This is the only picture I have of that...

cdr

that one must be made differnt than the one i tried  1BAD68, :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: NYCMille on October 07, 2013, 04:38:45 PM
Hey guys -

Has anyone ever transported a 2nd Gen Charger on a U-haul trailer before? Need to go from San Fran to LA and honestly, don't feel like driving it down.

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks -mike

What?  The king of actually driving their Chargers doesnt want to drive it?  That Cali sun has gotten to you my friend!  :slap:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I have used one on a few occasions. Plenty of room!!  :Twocents:

BTW, the ones which are predominately silver, have longer ramps than older orange ones.  :yesnod:

myk

How come you don't want to drive the car, Mike?  I was planning on driving my car from California to 'Vegas but plans fell through and I had to fly in another way...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ws23rt

I am curious as well?  Driving these cars is good for the car and the driver. ---Road trip :icon_smile_tongue:--- I think driving a tow vehicle would be more like a chore. :eek2:

NYCMille

QuoteWhat?  The king of actually driving their Chargers doesnt want to drive it?  That Cali sun has gotten to you my friend!  slap
- LOL!

Honestly, the only reason that I'm asking is that I've got a press truck that week so I figured that instead of driving the car 1000 miles round trip, that I'd just tow it down. Don't get me wrong, ya'll know I love driving, but sometimes comfort is nice as well. Plus I've got to review the truck somehow so I figured what the hell. I'm kinda' eery on using a uhaul trailer though..

bull

U-Haul will tell you lots of things to cover their butts. First they'll tell you your car won't fit, then they'll tell you your tow vehicle is too weak and/or your hitch is not up to snuff and then they'll tell you to keep it under 45 mph. It'll work but if you don't to argue with them just tell them you're hauling a VW Bug.

XH29N0G

I heard the same thing, but we told them.  They did ask about the tow vehicle etc..., but they let us go ahead with hauling the charger.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

NYCMille

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on October 07, 2013, 06:15:29 PM
U-Haul will tell you lots of things to cover their butts. First they'll tell you your car won't fit, then they'll tell you your tow vehicle is too weak and/or your hitch is not up to snuff and then they'll tell you to keep it under 45 mph. It'll work but if you don't to argue with them just tell them you're hauling a VW Bug.

which is what I did a few weeks ago...but it was with a tow dolly...and of course, I did it on the worst rainy day we had here all year

Bryan

gers1968rt

Why yes, back in 89 I hauled my charger from Albany Georgia to Niagara Ontario on one. Worked great.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Homerr

Quote from: NYCMille on October 07, 2013, 05:41:30 PM
QuoteWhat?  The king of actually driving their Chargers doesnt want to drive it?  That Cali sun has gotten to you my friend!  slap
- LOL!

Honestly, the only reason that I'm asking is that I've got a press truck that week so I figured that instead of driving the car 1000 miles round trip, that I'd just tow it down. Don't get me wrong, ya'll know I love driving, but sometimes comfort is nice as well. Plus I've got to review the truck somehow so I figured what the hell. I'm kinda' eery on using a uhaul trailer though..

There's your problem!   :laugh:

ws23rt

U-Haul has been the big outfit for a long time but they are not the only renters.
I went to them about renting a car hauler to pick up a coronet in La calif. (I am in Or.) They said no to out of state transport.--Good grief it's round trip-- :shruggy: (1980)

I went to a competitor but said i was going to southern Or and back.--Ok fine sir---  My 70 Charger RT was the tow car and I had no trouble in the 24 hr round trip.

A good solid tandem axial (four tires better than two in case of a flat) that is rated for the load. :2thumbs:

Chris 69

I towed my '68 on a U-Haul trailer from Portland, OR to Redding, CA. U-Haul wouldn't let me do it with my '73 F250, but they let me tow it with my Dads 3/4-ton Suburban.

Finn

I towed mine last year on a U-haul trailer behind a 3/4 ton. It did fine.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

myk

I find it hard to believe that your car isn't comfortable Mike.  Then again, longest distance I've ever driven mine was 100 miles round trip.  Even I don't know what would it be like for the "long haul."
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1970Moparmann

Mike, I did it a few times.  You won't have any problems.  The brakes don't need a controller either.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

skip68

Several times Mikey.       :cheers:   
Towed my 68 from Nashville Tennessee to Las Vegas Nevada like a dream.   

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

riggs626

yes from Illinois to ohio was a tight fit but it worked

Daytona R/T SE

My Father used to run a U-Haul Dealership, back in the late '80's/early '90's.

I got to use the trailers for free. :coolgleamA:

On two different occasions, I had the center of a wheel crack out while I was towing. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

One time it was on a two wheel tow dolly, hauling my '69 Charger.  :flame:

The other time it was on a four wheel trailer, hauling my Trans Am.  :flame:

Fortunately, both times I figured out something was going DRASTICALLY wrong and got stopped

BEFORE the wheel had a chance to totally exit the trailer.

After that... :scratchchin:

I won't haul a junk lawn mower on a U-Haul trailer.  :Twocents:

Dans 68

When I went to San Diego to look at a Charger (years ago) I went with the San Jose company Dahl Rentals. I seriously thought about U-Haul, but then thought again. Give them a call...their trailers are well made and sturdy.  http://www.dahlsequipment.com/rentalrates/specs/8270.htm

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Lee

I hauled several second gen Chargers on them over the past 10 years. Check the wiring and brakes before you leave. These usually are really beat. I often have had to refuse the initial trailer for another in better working order.

v21hemicharger

Mike I have an open trailer you could use if you want to pick it up.  I'm 20 minutes north of Thunderhill.  Mike

hemi68charger

I have used UHaul Autotransports many times to haul 2nd and 3rd Gen's........ Not a problem one............... I actually wish I could buy one, but that is next to impossible.

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 08, 2013, 07:39:38 AM
I have used UHaul Autotransports many times to haul 2nd and 3rd Gen's........ Not a problem one............... I actually wish I could buy one, but that is next to impossible.

I've often thought the same - those trailers seem well built, but very heavy. Not that it matters, as I have the torque of a turbo diesel to pull with.

Do they ever come up for sale?

J.Bond

Actually used one last Friday night. Sold a 68 Camaro, to a automotive school teacher-friend. He arrived with the bright silver and orange Uhaul trailor, eazy to load, like the way the ramps slide out of the back. Like the wheel secure straps. I guess as long as you inspect it before you embark on the journey, not a bad deal.

hemi68charger

Mike, just be careful with the front spoiler........ You may have the jack up the front of the trailer or get the tow vehicle's rear up in the air so you have as smooth a possible.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BrianShaughnessy

I've had better luck with Uhaul trailers than borrowing friends stuff actually.    Friend's stuff usually sits out back getting crusty inbetween uses.    The fold down driver's side fender makes it nice to get in and out of.   :Twocents:

I used to own a tow dolly but I wouldn't use them to go much further than 25 miles or so...  they just get scarey. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

64dartgt

The one I hauled my 3rd gen on was fine.  I wouldn't just show up and try to do that.  If you aren't returning it to the same site they will no doubt charge more and you should be sure to have them check the trailer out good...grease the bearings...etc...before you go.

NYCMille

Guys  -

These replies are outstanding! Thank you so much. I guess I'll give Uhaul a go then. Troy, thanks for the tip on the front spoiler, and Skip... that pic is awesome, I appreciate the offer! Dan, I'm also going to look into that Dahls rental equipment.

Will keep ya'll posted.

AKcharger

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Finn on October 07, 2013, 08:07:16 PM
I towed mine last year on a U-haul trailer behind a 3/4 ton. It did fine.  :2thumbs:
Did the same thing last year from NY to Illinois...no problems what so ever....

Hard Charger

I went to U-Haul 9 years ago to rent a car hauler, I had a new Hemi Ram 4x4 and the owner of the shop made me doubt my trucks capacity and also the factory hitch. I almost bought a new hitch from the guy for $300 but then he said I would need to wait for a trailer to come in, he wasn't sure when that would be. I left the place disgusted and while I was in the parking lot the mechanic comes out and tells me that my hitch is fine and that the dealer is a original franchise owner from the fifties or so and he just doesn't like to rent the car carriers.
I went to budget and got a trailer and drove to Minnesota.  U-Haul sucks.

1BAD68

I'll bet hundreds if not thousands of chargers have found their way home on a Uhaul trailer.
But like ebay or walmart, everyone uses them but most wont admit it.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 1BAD68 on October 08, 2013, 07:49:42 PM
I'll bet hundreds if not thousands of chargers have found their way home on a Uhaul trailer.
But like ebay or walmart, everyone uses them but most wont admit it.

I admit it, but I also use Ford Trucks, so I don't need to question whether I can tow or not - the truck can, and does, without issue  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

I've used them to haul with also and no problems.  I bought it a couple times and can't remember how much it was but it was not much, was their insurance policy you can add on for the duration. Worth checking out.

wingcar

I used a U-Haul trailer to haul both my 70 Charger and 67 Charger to our new house several years back with no problem.  At the time I was using my Lincoln Aviator as the tow vehicle which on the plus side had an aftermarket heavy duty hitch installed.  On the negative side, not really the best tow vehicle in that it was a bit on the small side in regards to its weight vs. the Chargers/trailer weight.   But, I had no problems even at freeway speeds....just used common sense and didn't try to break any speed records as I see some doing while pulling trailers.   No one at the U-Haul dealer seemed concerned about my towing plans, but then I felt as if they knew less than I did about towing weights and such...
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Troy

I've answered this question several times over the years. Yes, multiple times. The trailers are short and you'll have a lot of overhang front and rear. If you tell them it has a big block they likely won't let you rent the trailer. Before going to U-Haul, call a couple trailer sales places and see if they rent trailers. I found one close to me that rents 20' car haulers for nearly the same price as U-Haul. The trailers have real tires so you can move at a "normal" speed and surge brakes so you don't have to worry about a brake controller. Once I found them I never went back to U-Haul (and now I have my own trailer so I don't go to either).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: bull on October 07, 2013, 06:15:29 PM

Very true. Anyway, it will work. Make sure it has surge brakes. :Twocents:

D69charger

I used a Uhaul trailer a couple years ago to haul my 69 charger from Louisiana to Texas after the transmission went out on the charger.  I actually had to rent a uhaul truck as well... it worked beautifully to haul it home.  Loading was easy and like the wheel straps to hold the car down. 

b5blue

Sounds like you should make a short video of the entire experience! The hunt for a trailer, test drive new truck round trip adventure! (A Tow of Two City's!  :lol:)   

madmike

Yep...Two summers ago I hauled my '68 Charger on a twin axle U-haul trailer, towed with my '84 Chevy K20.  About 200 miles into a 1500 mile trip, one of the trailer tires popped, and I did a little fish tailing before coming to a stop.  It took U-haul and a sub contracted towing service nearly 3 hours to replace the tire.  While I was waiting, I looked at the other three, and they all had dry rot cracks in the tires, but U-haul said they wouldn't replace them, until there was a 'problem'.

Needless to say, the rest of the trip home was very nerve wracking, as I didn't want to blow another tire...

Why didn't I just drive the Charger?  I was moving. alone, one state to another, and it was the only way to make it in one trip.

I've been interested in getting my own car trailer now, instead of renting one!

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: madmike on October 10, 2013, 06:39:31 AM
Yep...Two summers ago I hauled my '68 Charger on a twin axle U-haul trailer, towed with my '84 Chevy K20.  About 200 miles into a 1500 mile trip, one of the trailer tires popped, and I did a little fish tailing before coming to a stop.  It took U-haul and a sub contracted towing service nearly 3 hours to replace the tire.  While I was waiting, I looked at the other three, and they all had dry rot cracks in the tires, but U-haul said they wouldn't replace them, until there was a 'problem'.

Needless to say, the rest of the trip home was very nerve wracking, as I didn't want to blow another tire...

Why didn't I just drive the Charger?  I was moving. alone, one state to another, and it was the only way to make it in one trip.

I've been interested in getting my own car trailer now, instead of renting one!
When I rented mine many of the trailers on the lot had allot of use. I showed the manager a pic of the 68 Charger I was getting and he said "follow me" , got me a new trailer they just got in. Sweet....Look the trailers over before you rent it...If the trailers they have concerns you a bit, ask where another Uhaul location is....

Dodge Don

U-Haul has two different auto hauler trailers...the orange ones are smaller...the larger silver ones are what you want. I tow with them all the time...70 Charger....no issues.  :2thumbs:

64dartgt

Remember to check your manual.  Some manufacturers recommend that you do not use overdrive while towing.

NYCMille

Well... I said screw it to the trailer and just decided to drive. Did 1,532 miles since last Friday and I'm pretty beat.

- San Francisco - Playa Del Rey
- Then a full day canyon running with cars I should not be chasing
- L.A. to Palm Springs
- Palm Springs to Chuckwalla Raceway in Desert Center, CA
- Back to L.A.
- Then back to San Francisco

It WAS however worth it...

Matthan

Bob T

Good effort man, its all about the drive!
I did a 1300 mile trip by myself last summer (New Zealand ) down through the central volcanic plateau to the bottom of the north island and back out around the coast to a local version of Stonehenge.
It would stand out as one of the best cruises I've ever done  :2thumbs:
but at 140, my old bus would be a handful to put it mildly
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

WHITE AND RED 69

Awesome! These cars don't belong on a trailer anyways. Unless something broke.   :2thumbs:  So what kind of cars were you chasing?

Gotta see that car one day. I'm down in San Jose. We got to get that Bay Area cruise started up again.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

NYCMille

Anytime you want to come up to the Bay Area just hit me up.

Cars I was chasing...
- 2014 C7 Corvette
- 991 Porsche Carrera S
- Porsche Cayman
- BMW M5
- Jaguar F-type