News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some pictures, hemi dampner to WP housing

Started by hemi68charger, March 02, 2006, 10:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Putting some components on my 426 hemi; the water pump housing and the vibration dampner. Well, it seems it's sort of too close, i.e, hitting...

It was previously mentioned that water pump housings on street hemi cars had some of the material on the bottom ground away for such clearance..

Does anyone have pictures of their motor in this area?

Thanks.
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Troy,

I have no pictures of the housings to share, unfortunately.

Did you have a chance to read the thread I posted a link to a couple of days back from the Moparts/A12 section?  Here's the description that Troy (from Westoaks) posted on there:

Ok The answer that I was looking for is (drum roll please) On the bottom of the housing that is next to the ballancer there is a flat area ground into the housing giving more room for the ballancer. The Hemi engines use that wider and ever so slighty larger ballancer needing a touch more room. I was told that this was done at the time of assembley of the engine that is why there is not a different part number or casting number. I have seen original engines from '67 - '69 and a few into '70 but not on all of them. This is kinda like the thing with the Hemi Distributor hold downs. The original part number for a Hemi hold down is 1947613 (1970) and that is the same number as a 440. Many of the Hemi hold downs had a flat area ground into them to make more room for the coil but yet they still have the same part number....

From what that thread and the NHOA article that one of the guys posted, the housings varied widely, from casting to casting.  Some of the housings probably mounted up too close to the balancer (as yours does), and required some clearancing.  Others didn't.  Par for the course with Mopar, unfortunately.

You honestly can't see that area at all once the engine is assembled, so it doesn't make much difference whether you have the housing machined, or just take an angle grinder to it.  Just give it some room, right??

That's about the best I can do to help...

Geno

hemi68charger

Hey there Geno...
Actually, I do believe there is evidence that my water pump has been ground down a little at the very bottom next to the dampner.. So, that is good !!!!!!  I may the or an original hemi water pump housing..  :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection