News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wiper arm / which part is this?

Started by riivattu440, October 18, 2013, 05:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riivattu440

Hi all

One more beginner's question: I know I need this part but not sure what it is called etc. I've been told the rubber seals on the bases of the wind screen wiper arms on my 1970 Charger R/T are perished & I better get new ones asap. In the pic I'm trying to show the part to you.

I was wondering if this is the set I ought to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-70-B-Body-Wiper-Pivot-Seal-Gasket-Kit-Charger-Road-Runner-Roadrunner-GTX-69-/231052032790?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cbc63b16

Thank You for your time & energy!!
all the best, kimmo from fin
it's a very short life so let's try & enjoy ourselves

charger Downunder

Thats them and you have to put them in from the dash side.
[/quote]

Ghoste

Which, by default, also indicates that the name of the wiper part where circled is the wiper pivot. :yesnod:

bill440rt

Exactly. Those are the wiper pivots sticking up thru the cowl.
The kit you bought will do the trick.

You need to remove the wiper arms first. Then crawl under the dash. Find the nuts that hold the pivots to the underside of the cowl. Remove them, and pull the pivots down to replace the seals. You may have to remove the arms from the pivots themselves or disconnect from the linkage at the wiper motor to give you some more room.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

riivattu440

Oh great info!! Thanks everybody. This winter the dash is coming off since nearly all the electrics under there are a mess. I bought the kit & will have it in before next summer. Goodness knows how many other parts I will have to get.  :eek2:

Cheers!! all the best, kimmo from fin
it's a very short life so let's try & enjoy ourselves

twodko

When you're under the dash. Snap a picture or two of how everything is connected before you begin taking things apart even though it may all appear straight forward. "Before" pictures can help eliminate problems during reassembly.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

b5blue

Get and use the tool for pulling the arm off the pivots if you can, the splines are easy to deform and that will ruin firm mounting. Check the condition of the pivot, are they snug fitting or sloppy? Are the sockets that fit to the pivots (On the wiper arms.) in nice condition and are the springs that hold the wipers to the windshield in good condition? There is no fun in having a wiper arm fly off the car in the rain....don't ask how I know.