News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Hose Installation

Started by twenty mike mike, October 31, 2013, 10:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty mike mike

Changing to sliding calipers with banjo bolt fittings. Does it matter which way the hoses are installed, as far as whether or not the fitting will leak?

Dino

In short, the hose needs to be attached in such a manner that it receives the least amount of flex to the line when you hit the brakes.  I would dry fit the entire system and see what is most 'natural'.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twenty mike mike

Thanks. I'm mounting the calipers on the rear of the rotors to provide clearance for the aftermarket sway bar (no fittings on my LCAs) so I was hoping the unnatural position wasn't the one needed for a leakproof fit.

Of course the hoses came with the useless copper washers, and of course there are no banjo bolt washers in the Chisler system anywhere near me.

Dino

Quote from: twenty mike mike on October 31, 2013, 10:56:51 AM
Thanks. I'm mounting the calipers on the rear of the rotors to provide clearance for the aftermarket sway bar (no fittings on my LCAs) so I was hoping the unnatural position wasn't the one needed for a leakproof fit.

Of course the hoses came with the useless copper washers, and of course there are no banjo bolt washers in the Chisler system anywhere near me.

I need to mount mine on the rear as well for that reason.  If you can take a few pics of the lines' possible paths, we will be able to give you a more concise answer. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twenty mike mike

I put two of the 1/32" Dorman copper gaskets on the caliper side of the fitting, and only one under the banjo bolt, since it is a washered bolt. That stopped the static leak, but I haven't bled the system, so I'm not declaring victory, yet. The first pic shows the initial routing and the second shows the final. I had to rotate the top of the hose just a little when the wheels were turned in the opposite direction to keep the hose from contacting the rail.

The hoses are 18" long.

Edit: I had an assistant turn the wheel lock to lock while I watched the brake line, which touched the tie rod adjuster. I pulled the sheath down, which reduced the loop, so the line now stays well out of trouble.

A 15" hose would probably be more appropriate for a rear mounted caliper.

bill440rt

I had to do the double-washer trick on the driver's side caliper. I went thru three calipers with Master Power, all had the same issue. Strange, it was just the left side, the passenger side had no problems.
No leaks with the doubled up washers since.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twenty mike mike

The caliper fittings leaked during the bleeding process, on both sides. Strangely, the leaks seem to be coming from the head of the bolt rather than the washers between the hose fitting and the caliper. The lip on the head of the bolt doesn't cover the washers completely, so the perhaps the washers are not completely flat, thus causing the leak. Grasping at straws at this point.