News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid kickdown

Started by Dodge69_440, March 04, 2006, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

OK, I recently installed a mopar performance short block 360 I built, along with a 2400-2600 stall and 3.55 gears in the back of my 69 coronet.  The car is running great, but I cannot seem to get the kickdown adjusted properly.  I have it set so that at WOT the kickdown is all the way back, yet it still kicks down way too early, like around a quarter throttle.  Also, It jumps up and down several times sometimes.  Did they make different kickdowns for different engines?  My car originally had a 318 two barrel and 2.76 gears.  I am going to be hitting the track soon and want to have it adjusted properly!  Worked through all my other problems and am getting frustrated that a stupid kickdown is holding me back.

-Thanks for any help

Plumcrazy

Not trying to nitpick but remember that's a throttle linkage not a kickdown linkage.  It does much more than that.

I would get the carb at it's curb idle position with the throttle linkage disconnected.

Adjust the linkage so that when the linkage is pulled forward the throttle shaft rod is at the rear of the slot in the throttle linkage.
That should get you very close to where you want it.    :cheers:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

sthemi

71 and newer transmissions used part throttle kickdown,  this is problaly what you are feeling.
Dont forget to add a spring to return the kickdown to the full forward position at idle and low speeds.

Ghoste

And for the record, there were different linkages for different powertrain combinations.  Smallblock to smallblock you should be okay though.
Did you change to a different than stock intake manifold?