News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 days with a brand new challenger

Started by 1BAD68, November 14, 2013, 11:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

So my wife and I are in Florida and when we got to the rental car station we see a black dodge challenger.
She asks how much to upgrade? $11.00 a day extra for a challenger so obviously we take it. We get in and it's a 2014 with 156 miles on the odometer.
Long story short and now 400 and some miles on the odometer, this is an awesome ride. Very comfortable, lots of power, incredibly stable, awesome brakes, etc. I want to go to a dealership and get one.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

bull

I doubt it. It's very difficult to get a V8 in a rental car these days.

6spd68

Quote from: bull on November 14, 2013, 11:55:31 AM
I doubt it. It's very difficult to get a V8 in a rental car these days.

Avis ONLY rents out the R/T in Canada...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Finn

I rented an R/T in from Avis in MI. Great car.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bull

Avis, huh? I'll have to remember that. A friend of mine went for a trip recently and wanted a Chrysler 300 but the only engine he could get was a V6. My last rental was an Avenger with an anemic 4 cyl.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Finn on November 14, 2013, 01:36:04 PM
I rented an R/T in from Avis in MI. Great car.

I bought my R/T 3 1/2 years ago & it is a great riding car with decent power and gas melieage. However, if they made it in 7/8 scale and shaved off a quarter ton, it would be an even better car.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bull on November 14, 2013, 01:49:04 PM
Avis, huh? I'll have to remember that. A friend of mine went for a trip recently and wanted a Chrysler 300 but the only engine he could get was a V6. My last rental was an Avenger with an anemic 4 cyl.

The avenger is a charger but just not grown up yet lol

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 14, 2013, 03:15:54 PM
Quote from: bull on November 14, 2013, 01:49:04 PM

The avenger is a charger but just not grown up yet lol

Not exactly. The new "Charger" isn't really a Charger either so the Avenger isn't what I'd call a Jr. Charger. :popcrn:

6spd68

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 14, 2013, 02:07:00 PM
I bought my R/T 3 1/2 years ago & it is a great riding car with decent power and gas melieage. However, if they made it in 7/8 scale and shaved off a quarter ton, it would be an even better car.

That's why I personally like the new 5.0 Mustang better.  It feels just as you describe; that little bit smaller, and lighter.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

ws23rt

Quote from: 6spd68 on November 14, 2013, 04:53:18 PM

That's why I personally like the new 5.0 Mustang better.  It feels just as you describe; that little bit smaller, and lighter.

I rented a mustang a couple of years ago.  It is a nice driving car and comfortable.
The down side for me is it was a chore to get in and out of it.  (Made for little people)

I have 14k on my Challenger and still like it for what it is. Good long distance comfort and will perform beyond what I'm willing to put it through.
It also has what I think is a lasting good look that all seem to appreciate. :Twocents:

Mytur Binsdirti

And that's why I bought this thing 2 weeks ago.        :icon_smile_big:        444 hp in a 3,600 lb car is a lot of fun.    :yesnod:

Fred

You guys make me sick  :slap:  with your gorgeous modern cars. So readily available to you.  :icon_smile_big:

Those things cost a kings ransom over here.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on November 14, 2013, 08:05:07 PM
You guys make me sick  :slap:  with your gorgeous modern cars. So readily available to you.  :icon_smile_big:

You have a king over there too? :lol:   Things are costing more and more here because of our king/dictator

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on November 14, 2013, 08:15:49 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 14, 2013, 08:05:07 PM
You guys make me sick  :slap:  with your gorgeous modern cars. So readily available to you.  :icon_smile_big:

You have a king over there too? :lol:   Things are costing more and more here because of our king/dictator

No we don't........if we did, I'd rob him  :lol:

69bronzeT5

You won't regret buying a Challenger. I LOVE my 2008 SRT-8 :)

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Fred

myk

Yup-for a modest fee I could've upgraded my rental with Avis in 'Vegas to a new 5.0, Z28 or R/T.  I REFUSED because I knew if I so much as sat in one of those things I'd be obsessed with buying one of them...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

chargerboy69

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 14, 2013, 07:27:00 PM

And that's why I bought this thing 2 weeks ago.        :icon_smile_big:        444 hp in a 3,600 lb car is a lot of fun.    :yesnod:

Very nice. . . . I would snag one of those over a new Challenger anyday.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

SRT-440

I bought a 2012 SRT8 Challenger back in August and it's an amazing car...adjustable suspension, awesome brakes, tons of power...yea it's a little hefty, but that's what gives it the old school feel in my opinion. The 392 is a powerful motor...unfortunatly the computer keeps a tight gripe on it...my custom tune is on the way and that will change everything.
Performance wise its really a fast car...can click off mid-low 12's with a decent driver (read:traction) and the ESP engaged...and I'm pretty familiar with fast cars, it's stable mate is a 10.90 Buick GN.

Mustangs are nice also and much lighter...it just comes down to which u like better...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

XS29LA47V21

Ref for someone thinking of buying, I have personal knowledge of a 2013 392 Challenger with 22k mile, consistently hammered, truly daily driven, consistently getting 18.5-19.6mpg and seen 23mpg on long tame road trips.

Not to shabby for a 470hp car... :Twocents:

SRT-440

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on November 15, 2013, 08:51:59 AM
Ref for someone thinking of buying, I have personal knowledge of a 2013 392 Challenger with 22k mile, consistently hammered, truly daily driven, consistently getting 18.5-19.6mpg and seen 23mpg on long tame road trips.

Not to shabby for a 470hp car... :Twocents:

I can vouch for that...one the freeway if u can keep it in "ECO" mode (4 cylinders) u can squeeze out a little better than 23mpg...it's just hard to keep ur foot out of it.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1BAD68

This was just a base model challenger I'm sure but it was quick and very agile. My 68 charger is much faster but my eyes have been opened to modern technology.
A couple times I really pushed it to close to its limit on an onramp, and it just hugs the ground virtually no body roll.
The seats are extremely comfy. About the only thing that I didn't like but got used to pretty quick was the roof, it comes down a bit too far and obstructs view a little.

MrSnicks

I love the look.. they did a great job capturing the look of the old classic Challengers  (unlike the new 4 door Charger.. wth?)  I was all set to pull the trigger on one of these... until I tried it on..... Does not fiet well if you're 6' 10".  Would'nt have been able to steer and clutch out on a manual... I tried on an automatic but as the previous poster mentioned my head and eyes were up over the windshield and door glass.. Almost couldn't reach the steering wheel when I had the seat reclined enough to get my head out of the roof.

Patrick

odcics2

Did you have the telescopic wheel pulled back?   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: myk on November 15, 2013, 12:37:21 AM
Yup-for a modest fee I could've upgraded my rental with Avis in 'Vegas to a new 5.0, Z28 or R/T.  I REFUSED because I knew if I so much as sat in one of those things I'd be obsessed with buying one of them...

Good to know..Ill be there on the day after Christmas with the wife for our 20th...I might have to upgrade the Hyundai!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 14, 2013, 07:27:00 PM

Sweet. I've been kicking around the idea of a Grabber Blue GT500 for awhile now.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

remta1

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

hatersaurusrex

I'm gonna go ahead and break this up now.

Chevy is for mullet-heads.
Ferd is for mullet-heads with grimey fingernails.

Don't forget where you came from, boys.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

odcics2

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on November 16, 2013, 03:46:36 AM

Obviously, confused individuals....    Perhaps another website is where you guys belong?    

Just askin'...        

You can sell us your MOPARS on the way out!   We'll give them good homes!      :cheers:

moparstuart

[/quote :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69 OUR/TEA

But yet a whole bunch of Mopar guys slam the new 4 door chargers and guys who buy them ?????

myk

Brand loyalty doesn't guarantee you the best pony car...

69 OUR/TEA

I bought a new Chally R/T in 09,6speed.Nice car,fun,sold it after 7 months with 1,700 miles on it.Could'nt drive it to work,found myself not driving it enough,so didn't want a car sitting around depreciating,so off it went.Plus,my kids didn't like the back seat as they couldn't see anything out of it,and my wife couldn't drive it as she doesn't know how/or care to learn to drive a stick.
What suited us better was a four door sedan,easy for people to get in/out of the back seat,ntm,large enough for adults to not be cramped.So as I've said before,I like the Charger better for my situation.
Put the Charger name aside,I like the styling of it,power,handling,options,safety,etc.I think whatever they ended up calling it,I would have liked it the same and still bought it.It' a RWD,4 door sedan,what did Ford and Chevy offer that is comparative?Not much,if anything.

1BAD68

and I thought the high school kids were all on Facebook

odcics2

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 16, 2013, 09:14:09 AM

But yet a whole bunch of Mopar guys slam the new 4 door chargers and guys who buy them ?????

I don't.  It's an awesome ride...   :2thumbs:

Chargerguy74

Quote from: odcics2 on November 16, 2013, 08:19:28 AM

Obviously, confused individuals....    Perhaps another website is where you guys belong?    

Just askin'...        

You can sell us your MOPARS on the way out!   We'll give them good homes!      :cheers:

Seems a little childish to me if that was a serious comment. We're not talking about the late 60s and early 70s here. And even if we were, who cares. I've owned 15 Chargers, I'm down to 9, never owned any non mopar muscle car. But I should go to another forum? Facts are facts, and the fact is that the new Challenger is out muscled by the Camaro and the Mustang.

BTW, I thought this was the Car Guys Discussion section of the forum?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 16, 2013, 09:56:59 AM
Put the Charger name aside,I like the styling of it,power,handling,options,safety,etc.I think whatever they ended up calling it,I would have liked it the same and still bought it.It' a RWD,4 door sedan,what did Ford and Chevy offer that is comparative?Not much,if anything.

If they'd restyle the grille to be more like a retro 68-70, plus toss in a 6 speed, I think they'd gain a whole lot of buyers.

Fred

Quote from: odcics2 on November 16, 2013, 11:54:46 AM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 16, 2013, 09:14:09 AM

I don't.  It's an awesome ride...   :2thumbs:

I'd be happy to have the option to buy one.  :yesnod:

6spd68

Quote from: myk on November 16, 2013, 09:30:28 AM

I don't get brand loyalty to be honest.  Why not just have an overall appreciation for nice machines?
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

Ghoste

I do but I'm still brand loyal.  Like supporting your team I guess.

myk

Quote from: 6spd68 on November 18, 2013, 12:27:40 PM

I don't get brand loyalty to be honest.  Why not just have an overall appreciation for nice machines?

Exactly.  I would be just as impressed with the latest Nissan GT-R as I would be sitting behind the wheel of the latest SRT-8...

Lord Warlock

Really depends on how much you want to spend, the RT is a very nice ride, i enjoy mine, drive it to and from work and to run errands.  kids may not like the limited view from the backseat, but they'll appreciate the room they have in comparison to a mustang.  Most kids aren't looking out the window anyway, they're looking at an ipod or a cell phone 98% of the time.  I just hooked up a dvd system for the backseat riders to watch on trips. 

About the only negative i find with the challenger is the limited view out the back window, I installed a back up camera to eliminate that problem.  An SRT8 is great if you don't mind the extra cost. 

I like mustangs, I've owned my share of them in the past, and considering getting a boss or shelby in the future when the challenger gets a little tired. But they tend to ride a lot stiffer than the challenger does, the challenger is a very comfortable car to drive. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

odcics2

Quote from: myk on November 18, 2013, 01:06:50 PM

Exactly.  I would be just as impressed with the latest Nissan GT-R as I would be sitting behind the wheel of the latest SRT-8...

Ok, so I'm narrow minded: MoPar or no car.    Period.     Never owned any other brands.    Never wanted to own any other brands. 

ALL other cars on the road, regardless of price, year or what they can do, are just blah to me...     :Twocents:

Magnumcharger

Quote from: odcics2 on November 18, 2013, 06:28:52 PM

Ok, so I'm narrow minded: MoPar or no car.    Period.     Never owned any other brands.    Never wanted to own any other brands. 

ALL other cars on the road, regardless of price, year or what they can do, are just blah to me...     :Twocents:

You and me both!!! Mopar or no car!! :cheers:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 15, 2013, 07:00:17 PM

Good to know..Ill be there on the day after Christmas with the wife for our 20th...I might have to upgrade the Hyundai!

You two too huh?  Right on, our 20 yr. is in June.  The fact she's stayed with me the past 10 years reaffirms that she's a keeper. 

I think the fact I'm paralyzed gave her the idea I wasn't going anywhere or be cheating on her so she packed on the el bees.  That's OK, I'm not going anywhere either.   ;)

myk

Quote from: odcics2 on November 18, 2013, 06:28:52 PM

You're not narrow-minded that's just your choice-it's all good... ;)

ws23rt

I admit to a strong brand loyalty.  It all started with my first car (a 57 Desoto).

My first new car was a 69 bee.  So my introduction was mopar and they made the 426 Hemi :2thumbs:

My interest at the beginning was in mechanical function and toughness.  (less into fit and finish)  I liked driving the cars more than being seen driving them.

Mopar made a keeper when they made the charger so I got stuck with the best of both and something that fit my pocket book.

When they made the 08 Challenger it was a fun time for me to relive the old days and buy a new Hemi car. 
Thanks for the memories Mopar.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 15, 2013, 07:00:17 PM
Quote from: myk on November 15, 2013, 12:37:21 AM

Don't splurge too much now.....

Lord Warlock

Brand loyalty is fine, but you don't have to buy all your cars from your favorite brand.  I'm a mopar fan, but not a fan of the new 4 door chargers, I don't hate on them, but I also don't look at them when they drive by on the street, I do however look at the challengers, trying to locate the srt8 badge, or the r/t badge.  And I wave if they are close enough to see it.  Don't do that with every car i like, just a few.  If the wife or kid needs a car, I'll get whatever i think works for them, but for me, I'll look at the mopars first, then ford second.  Don't even glance at chevy.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

daveco

Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 16, 2013, 07:01:32 PM
... I'll look at the mopars first, then ford second.  Don't even glance at chevy.
Same here.
R/Tree

6spd68

Quote from: daveco on December 16, 2013, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 16, 2013, 07:01:32 PM
... I'll look at the mopars first, then ford second.  Don't even glance at chevy.
Same here.

I second that, will always have a soft spot for Fords.  I've owned 4 different Fox-body Thunderbirds over the course of 10 years, enjoyed them rather much.

My biggest bias against Fords and Chevs aren't so much the cars themselves, but the retards that drive'em.  Bow-tie guys being the special ones of the bunch.  Ignorance and lack of appreciation for fine machines based soley on brand loyalty runs rampant within those communities. 

And on a personal note; I don't care what anyone says, a 408 Ford stroker (351W base) has way more snap to it then any 383 stoker (350 4-bolt)you can build.  "Reliabilty at the track" aside, have driven a few 408's & 351's on the street and they've always felt better then any 383 or 350, regardless of the power claims by the owner, or how much was put into it.  Not trying to start a fight or anything on here, just a matter of personal opinion.
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

Patronus

My brother just bought a '13 black-top, 6 speed, leather, no navi, heated seats... sick car. With-in 24 hours another friend bought a black '13 v6. Its spreading like a disease!!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Lord Warlock

Don't knock a breed just because of a few idiot owners, you have to understand that because they're pretty common, and alot of them are out there still, the youngest and dumbest are able to get their hands on one for a cheap price.  But think back to when you were their age, you also likely got a car that others coveted and likely did stupid stuff with it as well.  I know i did when I got my charger r/t.

Three years ago, when i bought my 2010 challenger r/t, I was the only person in the neighborhood with one, evidently it made an impression because now there are 4 others, two black ones, one purple striped one, and an orange one.  At least two are r/t classics like mine.  No srt8's that i know of. 

myk

Finally got a chance to drive a '13 V6 Challenger that a friend was renting.  The car moved, stopped and turned well enough on its own (obviously better than my '69), but I just couldn't appreciate sitting in and driving this car.  Worst thing of all was the complete lack of visibility behind me: because of the super-high headrests and the tiny quarter and rear windows I couldn't see a thing behind and to the side of me, and I don't think any amount of adjusting of my seat or getting to know the car would've fixed it.  The auto-stick was a cute distraction, but I hope no potential owners are planning on replacing a full manual with this thing. I think it's a fine car in its own right, but after one drive in this Challenger and a '12 Mustang I'd have to go with the Ford...

6spd68

Quote from: myk on January 06, 2014, 01:26:26 AM
Finally got a chance to drive a '13 V6 Challenger that a friend was renting.  The car moved, stopped and turned well enough on its own (obviously better than my '69), but I just couldn't appreciate sitting in and driving this car.  Worst thing of all was the complete lack of visibility behind me: because of the super-high headrests and the tiny quarter and rear windows I couldn't see a thing behind and to the side of me, and I don't think any amount of adjusting of my seat or getting to know the car would've fixed it.  The auto-stick was a cute distraction, but I hope no potential owners are planning on replacing a full manual with this thing. I think it's a fine car in its own right, but after one drive in this Challenger and a '12 Mustang I'd have to go with the Ford...

Agreed
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke