News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil and Water Sensors?

Started by Chris 69, March 04, 2006, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

Where are the water temperature and oil pressure sensors located on a 68 Charger 383 (H-Code)?

I searched my engine today and found a sensor on the top, back part of the engine. It looks like an oil pressure sensor, but I am not sure. I was unable to locate the water temperature sensor.

On my Ford 390, the water temp sensor is mounted in the intake manifold, but I did not see anything equivalent on the 383.

Thanks,

Chris

Johnny SixPack

My bet is the "68 383 is the same as my "69 383, so the water temp. sensor is located on the water pump housing behind the bracket for the alternator (there is a small cutout in the bracket that allows you to push the wire on).

But if you use the aluminum water pump housing, the sensor is located on the top side near the outlet/inlet for the heater core.

The oil pressure sensor is what you found on the top side of the block, near the firewall. :2thumbs:

Hope this helps.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Chris 69

Thanks Formula.

In regards to the oil press. sensor, it is mounted at an angle. Opposite the sensor is another plug (I think it's a plug). If I wanted to run a mechanical oil press. sensor as well, is this another 'port' where the sensor may be placed?

Also, are there any other locations where I can install a mechanical H20 temp. sensor as well as using the stock sensor?

Chris

Chryco Psycho

yes the plug at the rear can be removed so you can use a mechanical guage back there , there is also a plug on the top of the water pump near the heater hose tubes that can be uysed for a mechanical water temp guage

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 05, 2006, 03:28:26 AM
yes the plug at the rear can be removed so you can use a mechanical guage back there , there is also a plug on the top of the water pump near the heater hose tubes that can be uysed for a mechanical water temp guage

:iagree:

The only problem I have with the mechanical oil pres. gauges is that if that line bursts, is the mess.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

PO installed one, and when the engine was taken out for work he simply bent the tube over and zip-tied it that way.

Luckily it didn't come loose.  ::)

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Headrope

Replacing the nylon tubing that comes with the oil gauge with a steel braided hose - virtually eliminates any line breakage issues.
As for the water temp tubing: I've never had one of those leak.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Chris 69

Thanks for the help. I will have to check out these locations. The mechanical gauges are the next step after I get the radiator re-cored.

Chris