News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Torquflite........Torque converter perhaps??

Started by TylerCharger69, March 04, 2006, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

I'm not too much on the transmission end of things, but I'm having a problem with my '69 Charger.    If I attempt to roast my tires in a power brake fashion,  and upon request have done it numerous times, what has been happening recently is that the tires WON'T smoke, and also at the same time, if I let up off the pedal, the engine still races until I put it in either park or neutral and ONLY then does it idle back down.   I've also noticed that when I put the car in gear, the engine doesn't want to idle and quit, unless I put it in neutral.  My idle speed is perfect when it is in Park, but as soon as I put it in gear it wants to quit.   My thoughts lead to the converter, but I've never seen this happen before and I thought maybe someone has seen this occur and could be of some help.   I hope it IS the converter......they are only about 60-80 bucks!!!...lol                      Thanks. people

Sendero

Although I suppose that a converter could cause such symptoms, but I would go through the carb and timing first; that is ....unless you really really want a new converter. :icon_smile_wink:

"and also at the same time, if I let up off the pedal, the engine still races"

If this is consistent it sound as if you need to look at the carb llinkage side. I had a carb linkage stick occassionaly and the return spring got weak which caused that specific problem.

"when I put the car in gear, the engine doesn't want to idle and quit."

If idle is on the mark then recheck your timing and engine vaccum first. If these are off then reset your idle to the new timing/vaccum settings. In the past I also  had carb float level do this. ( believe it or not). Idle was fine but when I put it in gear it would stall. The fact that you can't smoke the tires may be timing  /vaccum related. With you problem description sounds like multiple issues not just one.

Good luck...with the new converter :icon_smile_big:

TylerCharger69

well...the carb linkage was addressed as well.  It is very stiff springed.  When the engine races...my foot is completely off the gas.....and...in keeping my foot off the gas...putting it in neutral allows it to immediately idle back down.    I know.....it's stumping me bigtime!!!

John_Kunkel

The stuck throttle could be caused by a busted engine mount, when the engine torques over it is binding the linkage, popping it into Neutral stops the torque over.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TylerCharger69

no...that isn't the trouble   linkage is free and clear of anything...not to mention new mounts...lol