News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rocker arm differences....BB/SB?

Started by Charger71, March 04, 2006, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger71

What are the differences between the Bb and SB rocker arms and shafts?  I think the parts that came with my motor are wrong.  The rocker arms holes are too big for the 318 shaft.  I think I may have stock BB rocker arms on my SB engine.   (That is how it was given to me when I bought my Coronet...)

They are really noisy and loose.   

Can the wrong rocker arm setup affect the oil pressure of my engine?  Its real low....

I know these sound like basic questions, but I think you all know the answers...

Charger71

Chryco Psycho

the rockers are loose on the shafts , this is normal,  big block rockers are much wider
was the cam changed? Wiht higher lift cams the lobe is not made bigger , instead the base circle is smalller allowing the lifter to drop down lower so longer pushrods are usually needed to keep the hyd lifters properly preloaded , this could be your problem , it is also possible that you simply have low oil pressure , have you checked the pressure with a mechanical guage ? 

Charger71

I found this picture on the Hughes Engine website...

are these  shaft holes different for SB/BB?

Look at this link...   I have the Isky 256 cam. Will that change the geometry on the pushrods?

http://www.iskycams.com/pdfcatalog/2004-05/page114.pdf

Thanks,

Charger71

PS-The engine in question is in my 4-dr 67 Coronet.

Chryco Psycho

the cam could easily be causing the noise in the valvetrain
I don`t understand your ? on shaft holes ? you mean the hole in the sides of the rocker arms ?

Charger71

Yes.    The shaft holes on my current rocker arms are about 1/16" to 1/8" bigger than the shaft itself.   

(I'm not off my rocker...either) ;D ;D

As always,  thanks for your help.

Charger71

Chryco Psycho

as I said that is normal  the SB & BB rockers are differnt widths with the BB being wider , the side holes are not tight to the shaft