News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering coupler fixed, wow.

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 16, 2013, 11:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Well after looking over the steering column after 6 months of ignoring it.  I realized I did not put the two square bolts between the two column couplers.  I was able to get one in but the other one I could not.  These bolts are hard to get into unless Chrysler had a special tool or something.  I left both couplers in and slid the bolt behind the rear coupler and was able to get the bolt in and used nut to screw it in.

Viola, now NO more couple movement in and out coupler.  I feel so much more confident able to turn now instead of pushing in and turning, feels great.

Now that wander issue....

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 16, 2013, 11:28:31 AM

Nice. :2thumbs: The wandering is probably because it's toed out.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bull on November 19, 2013, 12:48:22 AM

thx bull!!!  yeah I need to get that alingment then after I get some front sway bars...money and more money is needed..then UCA damn.

Dino

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 19, 2013, 06:25:14 AM

thx bull!!!  yeah I need to get that alingment then after I get some front sway bars...money and more money is needed..then UCA damn.

Get the big sway bar.  Mine is 1 1/8" and the front is rock solid.  Also get beefy torsion bars while you're at it.  Once the suspension is beefed up and all is aligned, the only loose feel left should be the power steering pump but that's not a wander, just lack of firmness in the wheel.

It's too easy to lose the car at higher speeds when the front suspension is a bit off so watch out.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Agreed.  Sloppy suspension parts are just plain dangerous.

myk

Quote from: Dino on November 20, 2013, 04:46:52 PM

Get the big sway bar.  Mine is 1 1/8" and the front is rock solid.  Also get beefy torsion bars while you're at it.  Once the suspension is beefed up and all is aligned, the only loose feel left should be the power steering pump but that's not a wander, just lack of firmness in the wheel.

It's too easy to lose the car at higher speeds when the front suspension is a bit off so watch out.

What torsion bar size are you running?  Did they just bolt right in?  Did you have to drill the frame for the new sway-bar mounts?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

Myk,

I'm running hotchkis torsion they are 1.1inch think with a hotchkis shocks.  They do bolt right in....they are excellent.

Dino

Quote from: myk on November 20, 2013, 07:27:26 PM
Quote from: Dino on November 20, 2013, 04:46:52 PM

What torsion bar size are you running?  Did they just bolt right in?  Did you have to drill the frame for the new sway-bar mounts?

All the parts were already on the car when I got it.  Torsion bars are stock R/T bars ,whatever size that is.  When I upgrade I'll get the 1.1's as well.  I have the old style Addco sway bar, the newer ones apparently are not as good so look for a Hotchkis or something.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

I realize this is an older thread but I have a similar issue. I have been discussing this with Nacho over on the 3rd gen forum but thought I'd see if some other opinions came forward.
Here is what I've got.  
This just happened while in Carlisle. I noticed on rough road there seems to be a thump in the column. I just replaced the rag joint and coupler guts a year ago. However the wheel (and Tuff adapter) now seems to pull up maybe a quater to half inch from the actual column case. It didn't after I replaced the parts up until last weekend in PA.
I can see the shaft moving in and out of the coupler now under the hood, so I thought maybe the spring either came off or broke in the coupler. (50 and 54)
However Nacho seems to think the clip in front of the bearing behind the steering wheel is broken of came off. (6, 7, 8, 10)
Any other opinions?