News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 fuel pump install question

Started by sgt72charger, November 17, 2013, 06:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

Do I need to remove the threaded insert underneath where the mechanical fuel pump goes in order to install it?
the actual portion that goes into the block will not sit correctly is there a trick.  sorry for the dumb question im new to mechanical fuel pumps

also can i just route a rubber line from the pump to the carb or does it need to be a hard line ?
heat is the issue i assume ?
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Hard Charger

you may need to remove the plug underneath the pump however try gently grabbing the rod with a some pliers. Push it back up into the block and if your lucky it will stay up until you pop the new fuel pump in. This actuator rod pushes against the pump lever.
otherwise you will need to take the plug out and push the rod up with a punch.

cudaken

Sargent, are we talking BB or SB? My self I am a BB guy.

Couple of tricks.

First make sure the fuel pump cam drive loop is not contacting the drive rod. After the pump is off see how much play the rod has. Then bump the starter and check again. Try to install the pump and keep going till you get it in.

Second, if the rod keeps sliding down and in the way. Dab some wheel bearing grease on the rod and then shove it back up and have at it again.

Third, if it is getting to be a real pain in the ass, pull the alternator. On a BB you have easy access and room to work. I replaced mine on the 68 Road Runner this summer and with the alternator off I did it in 10 minutes. I was replacing the alternator anyway.

I have never had to pull the drive rod. I don't even think I could pull the rod with out pulling the cam?  :scratchchin: How would it clear the cam shaft? :shruggy:

Cuda Ken XVIII Air Born retired.     
I am back

sgt72charger

yes 440 big block.

ill give that a shot

also can i just route a rubber line from the pump to the carb or does it need to be a hard line ?

Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Back N Black

If you are replacing the pump, you should pull the fuel pump push rod and check for wear. The rod should be 3.25 inches.

sgt72charger

Quote from: Back N Black on November 18, 2013, 08:23:01 AM
If you are replacing the pump, you should pull the fuel pump push rod and check for wear. The rod should be 3.25 inches.

how do i do this?
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Hard Charger

Quote from: sgt72charger on November 18, 2013, 08:22:45 AM
yes 440 big block.

ill give that a shot

Rubber line will work. I believe my filter has rubber pieces going into the metal hardlines. it is in tight quarters coming up from the pump into the carburetor going past moving parts, I think I would stay with the prebent hardline. Probably safer also.

my engine had 80K miles and the shaft was in good shape. I was able to just push the actuator rod up fairly easy to slide the pump in. I did not need to use heavy grease to hold the shaft in place. Even if it is scored a little all it does is push, as long as it doesn't,t break your ok until you feel like a rebuild in the future. if you cannot get it back into the block there must be another bigger problem.

Google the installation of the fuel pump in a 383 or 440 Chrysler and you will see a you tube video on the procedure. Probably find something on replacing the shaft also.

myk

May not be correct but it worked for me: fit the pump lever under the push rod just slightly, and then begin to torque down the bolts that hold the pump to the block.  The act of moving the pump closer and tighter to the block will coincidentally move the push rod and the fuel pump lever to where they're supposed to be...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

sgt72charger

Quote from: myk on November 18, 2013, 01:11:09 PM
May not be correct but it worked for me: fit the pump lever under the push rod just slightly, and then begin to torque down the bolts that hold the pump to the block.  The act of moving the pump closer and tighter to the block will coincidentally move the push rod and the fuel pump lever to where they're supposed to be...

this is what i was doing originally but it just did not feel right .  thought i might break some thing so i just stopped and here i am..
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

hemi68charger

I have seen, that if you put some grease on the push rod, it has a tendency to hold it up long enough to get the fuel pump arm under it. Once it is under the pushrod, you should be good to go. The pump may be tilted slightly in order to accommodate the alignment of the first fuel pump attach bolt. Once it is started, then you can rotated the pump so the other hole lines up. At that point, you can insert the second bolt and continue to torque it down to spec. Make sure your mating surfaces are clean. I would put some form-a-gasket or something on the gasket to hold it in place. You don't want to be messing around trying to align the pump, gasket, bolt and hole in block and have a gasket with messy sealant all over it. The alternative is to install the gasket dry. That way you can move the gasket around to align things without messing with the "mess".......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

cdr

it is also much easier when you do get the push rod up,have someone bump the starter to get the rod all the way up so you are not fighting the pump spring as much. :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cudaken

Sargent, sorry I forgot to address the fuel line part. My self I use rubber lines. Far as I am concern just as safe as steel as long some dork does not hack into it. Steel will last longer but rubber does not rust. Plus rubber cannot hit the hot wire of the alternator and BBQ the wiring harness! Ask me how I know this!  :slap: :slap: :slap: :brickwall:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: sgt72charger on November 18, 2013, 09:15:43 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on November 18, 2013, 08:23:01 AM

how do i do this?

There's a threaded plug in the block right under where the mechanical fuel pump goes. With the fuel pump removed, and this threaded plug removed from the block, the pump rod can be removed through this opening.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

cudaken

Did you get the new pump in? :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Bob

Quote from: myk on November 18, 2013, 01:11:09 PM
:iagree:

sgt72charger

yes i finnaly got it installed. This cold weather in Newyork sucks i bought a new heater for my detached 2 car garage but it still only keeps it like 50 degrees and that if you are near it haha.

so i guess the push rod shaft was all the way down and did not relize that . so with my finger i was able to push it back up in to the motor and wiggle the pump in to place.   now i have to figure out the routing of the fuel i have no lines and no idea except for what i was told and have reseached.
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|