News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

higher amp alternator

Started by badass, November 19, 2013, 08:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badass

I'm thinking of up grading my alternator lights were dim now alt. went out got big battery expensive voltage regulate have cleaned grounds and connections till I'm blue .thinking about 75 amp powermaster? but dint want to changer to many wires just want new alt. and brighter lights
mopars best **** the rest

myk

There are quite a few threads and options available to you.  Here's an example:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19802.0.html

I used to run a higher 'amp 'alt from a 90's Dodge van, but eventually I rewired my car and went with an internally regulated unit.  IMO it's the better alternative, less wiring and one less thing hanging off of my firewall...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

A383Wing

you can use whatever size alt you want, just make sure yer cars wiring can handle it.

The OE style alts on our cars always dim at idle with accessories on...getting a smaller pulley for the driven end will help.

Cooter

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy..GM 1wire. Flip it around and space it out correctly and it bolts on.
Cheaper to replace too.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Pete in NH

Increasing the size of the alternator is a much discussed and debated topic. My personal opinion is I wouldn't go much over a 60 amp unit with the stock wiring. If you're looking for brighter lights, you might want to consider doing the headlight-relay modification discussed elsewhere in this section. With the addition of two relays and some additional wiring you will get more of the voltage in the system you do have to the headlights where it counts. The modification eliminates a lot of the long wiring paths in the current system and some of the higher current through the bulkhead connector pins. It's fairly inexpensive to do compared to a new alternator.

If you still want to go to a bigger alternator, you really should consider making some wiring changes. Using heavier gauge wire and bypassing the bulkhead connector pins are a good things to consider. You also need to think about the ammeter on the dash board. It was really only meant to handle about 45 amps.

When considering a bigger alternator, you really have to look at the bigger picture and look at the all the parts of the system involved. As A383Wing said- can the wiring handle it?

Dino

I'm in the middle of a big electrical upgrade including bigger alt (90 amps), bigger wiring, new bulkhead connector, bypassed ammeter, headlight relay mod and a few others.  I was going to start a thread about this stuff so if this is the route you would like to go then I'll get that thread started.  If all you need is having a better idle then go with a 60 amp alt and you'll be able to leave everything else alone IF IT's IN GOOD SHAPE!  Always make sure the bulkhead connections are in good shape and all fuses are in place.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

badass

thanks ill try 60 amp see what happens.
mopars best **** the rest

myk

Even at 60 amps you're still going to get the issues you're having now.  Honestly, with wiring that's over 40 years old I think getting a higher 'amp 'alt and the supporting wiring is just a band aid and doesn't eliminate the true problem at hand: old, substandard wiring that has passed its usefullness.  My solution?  Get the entire car rewired; it's one of the best things I've ever done for this bucket of bolts...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: badass on November 21, 2013, 04:50:53 PM
thanks ill try 60 amp see what happens.

I have a duralast 60amper and your gonna have that same issue at idle.  At idle my volt meter goes to 13volts to 13.5 or so, but once she gets going its 14.5.  Just go to a 100amper plus alternator, wire upgrades, etc and call it good.

when I put the pusher fan at idle its 12 volts or 12.5 for a blip then goes to 13volts at idle.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

chargd72

I upgraded to a 78 amp alt and I went with Nacho's recommendation.  Run the parallel wire and fusible link.  Took maybe an hour and half to replace alt and add all the necessary wiring.  Small price to pay vs the "we'll see what happens" attitude.   

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Brads70

And if you want to get REALLY silly...
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=557
I agree with the comments about the 40 year old wiring. :eek2:

Dino

Quote from: Brads70 on December 09, 2013, 04:22:20 PM

Dayum!  What are they trying to do at idle?  Power up a house?

I stuck a 90 am denso in mine.

myk

Quote from: Dino on December 09, 2013, 04:24:20 PM

Dayum!  What are they trying to do at idle?  Power up a house?

I stuck a 90 am denso in mine.

No joke man.  I'm guessing the car's wiring is as thick as the power lines that the city uses?  Lol...

1974dodgecharger

WOW, believe it or not im pretty interested  :icon_smile_big:

I only say that because I plan to put in a stereo system, dual puller fans, single pusher fan, and those fans will be constantly running in the AZ summer heats.

saids I need 117amps minimal, I will just look for a dodge van alternator.

Pete in NH

1974dodgecharger,

I think you're going to have to do some extensive rewiring to support all the fans and accessories you are planning on adding. Believe me, nothing in the existing wiring system will support a 117 amp alternator. It's really best to think of the cars wiring as a complete system. Trying to ad things in small steps can really get you in trouble.

Nacho-RT74

ok... I HIGHLY DOUBT will ever need 117 amps from any alt unless you have a Motorhome, and still in that way!!!

remember, Alternator supplies whatever the car needs, not what specs states as max output. You can get a thousand amps alt, but if car demands just 60 amps, your thousand amp alt will supply just 60 amps the car demands.

The need for a bigger amperage alt is just to guarante to you a better iddle sourcing which is the bigger Mopar system headache, and a faster batt charge if needed... that's all!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1974dodgecharger

I need it to charge battery....meh probably not.

1974dodgecharger

Bought a alternator and damn it wouldn't fit in a 383 block it hits my heads, damn it.

Dino

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 13, 2013, 09:14:12 AM
Bought a alternator and damn it wouldn't fit in a 383 block it hits my heads, damn it.

Which one did you get?  The denso I have hits the head as well so the battery bolt needs to be cut in half. 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Dino on December 13, 2013, 09:27:20 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 13, 2013, 09:14:12 AM

Which one did you get?  The denso I have hits the head as well so the battery bolt needs to be cut in half. 

Damn it really it was the dense i returned it i got it for 117 bucks was the 120 amper. 

I'm gonna loom at db electrical now they sell for 97 bucks no core charge.

1974dodgecharger

For a 383 its a no go on the dense item alternator.  I removed the neg wire bracket part of the alternator and still no room horizontally to line up with water pump and crank setup.  I have stock brackets it just won't fit....

b5blue

For the Denso 120 you need the bracket set that adapts it.  :2thumbs: That is what I run on my 70. Google a search, it will come up.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: b5blue on December 14, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
For the Denso 120 you need the bracket set that adapts it.  :2thumbs: That is what I run on my 70. Google a search, it will come up.

Thx blue i wasted way too much time on this drove 150 miles today around Phoenix when i could of called lol.

I returned it and just go to Mancini to buy the whole kit for 200 plus bucks. 

I upgraded the alternator wire to stud 4 gauge so that was not wasted and added a locking washer to bolt t the bottom of alternator she now idles at 13 plus volts vs 12 to 12.5 volts.  I think the v belts just love it tight....lol

b5blue

They have been out of stock there for months. Be certain they have it before ordering!  :2thumbs: