News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing water pump

Started by NHCharger, March 05, 2006, 09:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

I'm replacing the water pump on my 72 Charger 318. I pulled it yesterday. I noticed water also came out of the holes for the bolts. The bolts didn't seem to have any tape or sealer on them. Do I need to use teflon tape/sealer on the bolts when I re-install them?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger71

Put sealer on those bolts...

Charger71

Nacho-RT74

I didn't use anykind of sealer on bolts and everything is working perfect. I think is enough with RTV excess when you tight pump bolts.

Well mine is BB, but is just an example. bolts threated hole go throught pump housing also, and water also drains by them when are removed.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemihead

With a SB definately use sealer.  :yesnod:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

NHCharger

Thank guys. Would one type work better than another in this application? In the past I have used teflon tape, sealer that looks like a crayon stick or the liquid stuff in the bottle you spread on. I've had a terrible time in the past trying to seal the header bolts on my 383, I'm trying to avoid a repeat performance on this.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemihead

Use RTV but make sure that every hole and bolt is clean and dry.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Chryco Psycho

seal the bolts , I use teflon tape

Headrope

I'd recomend against the RTV as well. I've found that teflon tape doesn't get stuck in the threads within the block like RTV does. When RTV gets stuck in the block it has caused me to crossthread the bolts within the block, and have to tap the block.
To me RTV is only for making gaskets, not sealing bolts. Just my opinion, though.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.