News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best HV Fuel Mechanical pump for a 440?

Started by COKE, March 05, 2006, 03:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COKE

I have a Holley electric blue pump 110 gph,but i,m not happy with the noise into the car.
The engine is performed,with a big cam and valves ,but i want the car for street more than 1/4 mile.
I have seen several mechanical pumps fron holley and carter.The holley maximun flow for mopars engines is 110 gph while Carter  gets 120 at 7 psi and so .
Why Carters are so cheap?
Waht kind of mechanical pump  would you advise to me?

Thanks for your help :2thumbs:
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

Chryco Psycho

Holley or Carter HV mechanical pumps work well

firefighter3931

:iagree: The 120gph Carter street pump is rated at 6psi and doesn't need a regulator.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Kryp2nitE

what kind of horsepower numbers would either support?

COKE

Really i don,t know how many horses this car has.
The engine was performed by Arrow Racing Engines in the earlies 80´s.(The guy who sold the car to me was working there) .He said that it got 530 hp in the Arrow Racing dino(I suppouse this would be measured in the crankshaft) but i really don,t belive it has all those horses.

What about the Carter Strip?

firefighter3931

The street pump is good for 600hp...i'm sure it would be fine on that engine. The strip pump is rated at the same 120gph as the street pump but has a higher discharge pressure and requires a regulator. Basicly the same pump, one regular, the other high pressure.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

COKE

I have the regulator with the gauge already  installed .It cames with the electric pump.

What  difference does  make an higger pressure  ?

firefighter3931

Quote from: COKE on March 07, 2006, 04:15:30 PM
I have the regulator with the gauge already  installed .It cames with the electric pump.

What  difference does  make an higger pressure  ?

Higher pressure will blow the needle off the seat in your floatbowls and flood the engine with raw fuel. The race pump is designed for track applications where g-forces can push the fuel backwards as the car launches forward. The reality is that the street pump works fine in allmost all applications unless the car is extremely fast and violent off the line. If your car isn't running in the 10's....the street pump will be fine.

Ron