News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cam question for big block ?

Started by 72_rallye, March 05, 2006, 03:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72_rallye

I don't do this enuff to remember, I am changing cams in my Charger 400. I have #1 piston on TDC. The crank keyway is at about 2'oclock. I installed the cam and gears but I am confused on aligning up the dots on the timing chain gears. The book says to have them facing each other, but when I do this the valve arrangement doesn't look right to me. When I rotate the top gear dot to the top (180) then it looks like it is on the compression stroke. What am i missing ???, besides some mechanical knowledge. WIll the engine run like that if you rotate the distributor to match ?. Any help would be great,,,I need some help ,,,,,thanks,,,

Chryco Psycho

you can align the dots either way , the cam turns at 1/2 crank speed , but you are correct , with the dot at the top you are on tdc firing #1 , with the dot at the bottom you are on TDC#6 firing

72_rallye

Thanks Chryco !!!
  I did like all the books and everybody said,,,,I aligned the dots facing each other,,,,but when I dropped the distributor in I pointed it at #6. Then had a friend bump over the engine til' I had compression on #1 and balancer was pointed to top dead. I pulled the cap and then it did point to #1. Not really sure where to time it at with the aftermarket cam though,,,,It is a comp 252 extreme energy. .447 intake , .455 exhaust on a 110 degree lobe separation. Thanks again for the reply,,,,,Nick