News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electronic Ignition-383

Started by shawnmd, March 05, 2006, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

I am currently running the old point system on my 383 and am thinking of changing it to electronic ignition.  I know I can purchase a electronic iginition conversion kit but was wondering if there is a better option that won't cost too much.  The conversion kit I seen is from Mopar and would cost me approx $400 (Canada).The Charger will most likely never see the strip, but will be midly tuned for the street.  If I was to go with MSD, what parts should I buy????How much??

Ghoste

The MSD stuff will cost you a lot more than the Mopar piece and not offer as much.  There are a lot of things we find to complain about Ma Mopar these days but the electronic ignition conversion kit isn't one of them.
It isn't perfect.  The ecu's can be bad but replacements are cheap and if it let you down miles from an MSD dealer, the ecu can be replaced with a unit from any scrapyard and get you home.

Johnny SixPack

I went with the MoPar kit, and not only was it a breeze to install (especially since I'd never worked with electronic ignition stuff before), but it performs perfectly.

Came with the orange box and it's more than enough for my warmed over 383 w/headers.

I'd say go that route for what you seem to be looking to do.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Chryco Psycho

you can go the wrecking yard route & by a rebuilt dist from Napa & buy a chrome box & get the wiring froma wreckers , this will save some $$