News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decision time...383 vs 440

Started by Dreamcar, December 07, 2013, 08:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

The only reason I ask is because when I had my 383 rebuilt I wanted forged pistons and they were not available at the time in .040 over. Fortunately we were able to clean it up at .030 over.

Parts availability is one thing that might decide things for you but 9 times out of 10 you won't run into any trouble. There are companies out there that can custom build and size forged pistons you want if push comes to shove.

Cooter

Lemme put it to you this way Dreamcar. If you don't go with the biggest there is, that little voice in your head every time a 5.0 pulls up beside you at a stop light will ALWAYS be the same.

"damn, I really wished I'd have gone with the 440 now"....

Power is king. If you can get "free" power from a larger engine, it's a no brainer. It even looks like a 383. I can't tell you how many times a 440 was looked at and thought to be a 383.

Besides, in todays world with dumbasses and such, you know you'll get this one with the 383.....
"damn, you put a Chevy engine in it??"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dreamcar

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll be picking up that 440 since the price is good and even in stock form I'll likely be happy with the performance.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

1974dodgecharger

if im looking top down on a engine whiles its in the car I always go by the width of the whole engine to determine if its a 383 or 440. 

yeah they look almost identical, but the size you can tell...

Quote from: Cooter on December 08, 2013, 08:49:34 PM
Lemme put it to you this way Dreamcar. If you don't go with the biggest there is, that little voice in your head every time a 5.0 pulls up beside you at a stop light will ALWAYS be the same.

"damn, I really wished I'd have gone with the 440 now"....

Power is king. If you can get "free" power from a larger engine, it's a no brainer. It even looks like a 383. I can't tell you how many times a 440 was looked at and thought to be a 383.

Besides, in todays world with dumbasses and such, you know you'll get this one with the 383.....
"damn, you put a Chevy engine in it??"

Supercharged Riot

in my opinion. The block itself is merely a small portion of the total cost of the engine build
A complete set of pistons or a cam kit will cost more.
I say keep your 383 and use it when 440's are extinct.
Get the 440 block and build it.
When its dead, use the 383.

Challenger340

Quote from: Dreamcar on December 08, 2013, 08:53:28 PM
Thank you all for your input. I think I'll be picking up that 440 since the price is good and even in stock form I'll likely be happy with the performance.

Good Decision, and IMO, you made the right one going for the 440!  :2thumbs:
All things being equal, the costs to rebuild either a 383 or 440 will be close to the same, the biggest difference being the larger Engine will always provide more useable Torque and Power within a conduscive useable rpm range.

Apologies for confusing the issue with the 383 Dyno Sheet.....my intention was more to stress the importance of "doing things properly", and showing what "can" be done when rebuilding any engine, even a 383, as opposed to simply believing a "Rebuild" is a "Rebuild".
When you get around to doing the 440, get back on here and get imput... some GREAT resources on here, Firefighter3931, Cooter, IQ82, to name just a few, and many others, but research, research, research...... better end product.
Only wimps wear Bowties !