News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Master Cylinder for 4-Wheel Power Drum Brakes? ("Pancake" Booster) C500

Started by Charger Aficionado, March 06, 2006, 01:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Would the Bendix one that came on the "HEMI" booster be correct???  I have an opportunity to get one with correct lines...  I notice on my Charger 500 it has brake lines on OTHER side of Master Cyl!  (toward engine) Weird...  Why is this?

Shakey

The drum brake master cylinders are different than the disc brake master cylinder, at least on the outside.

The drum brake master's lid is held in place with a bolt and a bracket.  The disc's master is held in place with a bail wire.  The lines come out on different sides for different engine applications. 

However, I found a '69 R/T SE with a 440 and disc brakes but the lines came out on the fender side rather than the engine side.  The only think I can think of is that the car had cruise control and some of the components looked like they got in the way.  Everything looked original on this particular car.

You might find some information in this thread.  BTW, I was hoping you'd post some pics of different master cylinders you have on your cars.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9884.0.html

Charger Aficionado

hemi68charger

The Bendix would have been the booster with power disc brake cars.. The Midland-Ross booster would have been for drums, except for the 426 hemi equipped cars...  In '69, powerdisc brake configuration would have looked like picture 1:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Shakey

Are you 100% about that master cylinder Troy?

I ask because I thought that the 440 cars with power disc brakes had the lines come out of the master cylinder on the engine side.   :shruggy:

SeattleCharger

I'm glad to hear someone has four wheel drum brakes, which I have.  I was told that I have to get discs in front because of ricers pulling in front of me and hitting the brakes,  >:(  , but I have more than enough on my plate without getting to that, if I can just use four wheel drums for now.  I haven't driven the car yet since I got it, engine being rebuilt. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Shakey on March 07, 2006, 06:11:46 PM
Are you 100% about that master cylinder Troy?

I ask because I thought that the 440 cars with power disc brakes had the lines come out of the master cylinder on the engine side.   :shruggy:

What I was addressing was the booster/master-cylinder combo in relation to disc versus drums...  Now, as far as which way the lines come out of the master cylinder, I'll need dig some....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on March 08, 2006, 02:36:45 AM
  I'm glad to hear someone has four wheel drum brakes, which I have.  I was told that I have to get discs in front because of ricers pulling in front of me and hitting the brakes,  >:(  , but I have more than enough on my plate without getting to that, if I can just use four wheel drums for now.  I haven't driven the car yet since I got it, engine being rebuilt. 

I've got 4-wheel manual drum brakes on my C500 and I've got no big compliants with them at all.. Those brakes WILL lock 'em up........

Troy
Troy

gtx6970

Hemi master cylinder is Hemi only.

Shown is a master cylinder for NON hemi manual and power drum brakes.

gtx6970

1968-70 B-body Disc brake master cylinder , NON Hemi

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 08, 2006, 09:55:22 PM
Hemi master cylinder is Hemi only.

Shown is a master cylinder for NON hemi manual and power drum brakes.

Cool Bill...
What's the difference on the hemi-only? Mine is power drums......... Also, did you get my email on the oil pan?

Troy
Troy

Tilar

Sorry about digging up such an old topic...

ok I'm really not sorry  :misbehaving:   But is the Power brake booster the same between Disk and Drum brakes?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Tilar on April 03, 2012, 02:06:56 PM
Sorry about digging up such an old topic...

ok I'm really not sorry  :misbehaving:   But is the Power brake booster the same between Disk and Drum brakes?

No....

Bendix power DISC...

Midland Ross power DRUM

More images here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=85123.0
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Rolling_Thunder

now here's a curve ball -  if the bellcrank system under the dash the same between the midland ross booster and the bendix booster?   :nana:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 04, 2012, 07:51:40 PM
now here's a curve ball -  if the bellcrank system under the dash the same between the midland ross booster and the bendix booster?   :nana:

Yes the same
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69rtsetracpac

What's the deal with the 68'-70' master, with the lines coming out the right (passenger) side? seams a little funky. This is my first post, hello every one.
What was I thinking?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on April 10, 2012, 08:00:28 PM
What's the deal with the 68'-70' master, with the lines coming out the right (passenger) side? seams a little funky. This is my first post, hello every one.

Welcome to the site..  Yes big block disc brake cars have the master with the lines exiting right over the hot exh manifolds...no clue as to why.  :shruggy:

The Hemi cars have the master with the lines exiting towards the inner fender for clearance issues.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

redmist

So what the heck is my car running for a master??? 

I have power drums.  68 BB Car.

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

Quote from: redmist on April 11, 2012, 12:51:53 PM

I have power drums.  68 BB Car.

It's a drum brake master cylinder.  Couldn't tell ya' what model it is though.

There's someone @ the Registry with that booster.  I've been told it's a dealership replacement booster.   :scratchchin:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: redmist on April 11, 2012, 12:51:53 PM

I have power drums.  68 BB Car.

Looks like what I have on my 69 R/T.  To me the booster looks like the single diaphragm Bendix listed in the FSM (page Brakes 5-21).

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 27, 2012, 01:25:38 AM
I've been told it's a dealership replacement booster.   :scratchchin:

In all the searches I have read that is the first I have seen/heard that.

I think (can't find the thread now) the master cylinder is from a later model though Rock Auto shows it as a 69 part.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1358822

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.