News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Storing crank shaft, can it warp?

Started by AKcharger, March 06, 2006, 07:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I MOPAR pal whom I greatly respect said cranks can warp over time if laid on their side and the crank should be stood on end...is there any truth to this?

Thanks

RD

Bill,
  I just called my machine shop and they said yes, that overtime and due to the unequal pressure points on the crankshaft as it is laid on it side, it will warp the crank.  They have seen this happen with crankshafts that are on pallets and packaged in their own individual boxes.  After a while, they crank shaft would be warped up to 5 thousandths.
  My machinist said that cranks can be stored in two ways only, (1) standing on end or (2) laid on their side supported where they are supported on each main journal.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

AKcharger

Wow...seems weird huh..I means it's a piece of steel! well thanks have to disassemble my engine for shipment and didn't want to mes anything up

Thanks!

Rolling_Thunder

yes they can warp...    shops usually stand them upright or sometimes hang them
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

max

i always build a wooden crate and stand them up in it, that way they are protected from getting pinged and they don't have a chance of warping.

Runner

hogwash,  its a myth. if it will warp then i dont want it in my motor!!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on March 06, 2006, 09:16:01 PM
hogwash,  its a myth. if it will warp then i dont want it in my motor!!

:lol: I agree....that's an old wives tale ! That would have to be one soft crank to warp just from sitting  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

kamkuda

When they get delivered they are shipped on their side but with support.  I know the machine shop I use stands them all up, but I'll ask him ???

Runner

let me ask this,  if laying them down would cause them to warp then why wouldnt staning then on end cause them to bend?.   think about all the weight sitting on that bottom set of rod rod throws that are off set.     then think about the abuse a crank shaft takes. theres several reasons alot of people store them upright (myself included)  storage space is at the top of the list.

ipstrategies

How about camshaft storage? I have a replacement cam for my Charger, I picked it  up cheap and will not be using for a long time I hope. How should I store it? It is still in the Mopar box it came in. Should it be oiled, greased or anything?
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Runner

just make sure it stays dry and doesnt corrode or rust.

Headrope

Quote from: Runner on March 07, 2006, 04:54:41 PM
let me ask this,  if laying them down would cause them to warp then why wouldnt staning then on end cause them to bend?.   think about all the weight sitting on that bottom set of rod rod throws that are off set.     then think about the abuse a crank shaft takes. theres several reasons alot of people store them upright (myself included)  storage space is at the top of the list.

... and it's much harder to trip on something you're affraid of knocking over.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

tecmopar

At the shop they are stood on end for storage space, only because you can't stack them unless they are in their original wooden grate and then its only 4 high. When you lay one down, its resting on at least 2 of the counterweights so it would need to be made of butter for it to bend at all. On the NEW camshaft issue, it can be stored laying down ( same principle ), it should be coated with a smidge of cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper from the factory but keep a check on it as they don't do this very well anymore either, good luck.

8WHEELER

Yep, both of the machine shops I have used over 26yrs, both say the cranks should be stood on end   :shruggy:
So that is how I have allways done it, OK I will go out and tip my cranks back down  :icon_smile_big:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

AKcharger

dodgecharger-fan

Sounds like something that got started right after the "new kid" was sent over to the tool crib for a board stretcher and a bottle of headlght fluid.

"..and when you get back, make sure you stand those cranks up so they don't warp."

resq302

Actually, the guy who just rebuilt our engine for our el camino said that they should be stored upright or hung.  He has been building race engines and rebuilding various engines for the past 25 years and knows his stuff backwards.  He has even designed a machine to bore and deck a block without having to remove it from the jig.  He built steel cabinets where he has all of his cranks in slots where the end tht bolts up to the flywheel is.  The reason he said why it should be hung or stood on end is that the center focal point is directed toward the center of the shaft causing it to be balanced. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

73chargers4404

i allways just put the main bearings back in and lay it in the block

AKcharger

...well if you don't have a block, makes it hard

Ghoste

It takes less space to stand it upright and even if it is an old wives tale, it ain't hurting anything to keep it upright.  If it's not an old wives tale, (and if it is, it sure is a commonly accepted one), then you'll only help it.  At the very least, it won't be rolling around on the shop floor and inviting endless comments from people about how you're warping it leaving it on it's side.

TylerCharger69

sounds like a load of crap to me too...an old wivestale

RD

i just thought about something.... how can this be a wivestale?

when was the last time you had a wife tell you anything scientifically specific in regards to an automotive part.

urban legend sounds better don'cha thunk?  hehehe :stirthepot: :stirthepot:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TylerCharger69

lol...okay...ya got me...you are right!!!   wivestale was not an appropriate use of terms!!!...lol   I'll go with urban legend

rt green

YES IT CAN WARP!!! i've had automotive and deisel traing in my life and have been a mechanic for years. in all cases of school and the traing the factories give you they tell you to store it on end, or hang them. even more so on motorcycles. if you want vibration, go to the adult toy store.
third string oil changer