News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which carb to choose?

Started by xs29bb1, January 04, 2014, 11:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29bb1

I've got a 440  that's 0.30 over w/ a mild cam - the guy who rebuilt it says it's a little over 400 HP to the flywheel and about 520 ft-lb of torque.  I've got the 727 auto trans.

Choosing between Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer or Edelbrock 800 cfm Thunder Series AVS.

Any thoughts on what I should go with, or the +/- of each?  Is 800 cfm too much for what I've got?

thanks

Scaregrabber

800 AVS is perfect for your setup. The airdoor is adjustable which controls the secondaries coming in smoothly. 800 is perfect size.

Sheldon

fy469rtse

I would go the AVS 800 , very easy to adjust secondary's spring to air door, unless your experienced with carburettors the holly is a bit more complicated to tune,
The edelbrock is a direct copy almost of the original carters that came out on these cars, so if you want it to look correct also I would go with the 800

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 05, 2014, 05:38:05 AM
I would go the AVS 800 , very easy to adjust secondary's spring to air door, unless your experienced with carburettors the holly is a bit more complicated to tune,
The edelbrock is a direct copy almost of the original carters that came out on these cars, so if you want it to look correct also I would go with the 800

not really...the HOlley has more settings to adjust, but overall its a lot easier once you go step by step and then you realize with all the adjustments one can alot more choices to pick to fine tune it for more power.  There was a sticky on the holley tunning somewhere..great thread and very easy to use.

kokxville

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 05, 2014, 05:45:44 AM
Quote from: fy469rtse on January 05, 2014, 05:38:05 AM

not really...the HOlley has more settings to adjust, but overall its a lot easier once you go step by step and then you realize with all the adjustments one can alot more choices to pick to fine tune it for more power.  There was a sticky on the holley tunning somewhere..great thread and very easy to use.

whre can i find this sticky on the holley tuning?  :cheers:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

xs29bb1

Thanks a lot guys.   :cheers:

I guess the big question for me is whether 800 cfm is too much.  Does anyone think I'll lose too much throttle response going higher than 750 cfm?

cudaken

I am back

BSB67

Quote from: xs29bb1 on January 05, 2014, 03:30:00 PM
Thanks a lot guys.   :cheers:

I guess the big question for me is whether 800 cfm is too much.  Does anyone think I'll lose too much throttle response going higher than 750 cfm?

No, and no.

You did not say what you have or are planning, but I would recommend a dual plane intake manifold as well.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Paul G

If you want to learn how a carburetor works, get the Holley. If you want to set the idle and drive, get the Edelbrock.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

xs29bb1

Yeah, I'm going Edelbrock either way.  It's either the Performer 750 or the Thunder Series 800 AVS.

As long as the 800 isn't too much, I plan to go with that.

fy469rtse

If the 440's healthy , 800 not too much, easy changes to jets and step rods, had 800 on a warm 383 , engine loved it

myk

100% NO on the Edelbrock.  If I didn't need a 'carb to run the Charger I'd send my 750 to you for free as I hate it that much.  If you bother to become acquainted with your car, test, tune and tinker with it you'll realize just how limited the 'Eddy 'carbs are...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Paul G on January 05, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
If you want to learn how a carburetor works, get the Holley. If you want to set the idle and drive, get the Edelbrock.

Paul is right there between the two.

I personally like the Holleys because I can adjust the nozzles, pump cams, etc....and tweak it to what I think its good or bad thats just me though.  If someone goes back on the edelbrock and its non adjustable then you will need to get it rebuilt.  Just my lonely mans opinion.......

xs29bb1

Wow, lots of different opinions - thanks to all who took the time to respond!

myk - so the Thunder Series AVS isn't tunable enough in your opinion?

hemihead

IMO I wouldn't put a Holley on my Mopar if I was paid to . There is a reason Mopar used Carters ( with a few exceptions ) . But do as you see fit .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Budnicks

Quote from: myk on January 06, 2014, 03:22:32 AM
100% NO on the Edelbrock.  If I didn't need a 'carb to run the Charger I'd send my 750 to you for free as I hate it that much.  If you bother to become acquainted with your car, test, tune and tinker with it you'll realize just how limited the 'Eddy 'carbs are...
:2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: hemihead on January 06, 2014, 07:30:55 PM
IMO I wouldn't put a Holley on my Mopar if I was paid to . There is a reason Mopar used Carters ( with a few exceptions ) . But do as you see fit .
yeah the reason is the bean counters in management, they were the cheapest bid from Carter & Holley's were originally used on many Mopars out of the factory too, by the way...

Budnicks

IMHFO, it's just that from someone who has run all three types of 4-bbl's on many different combos, if your dead set on using a Carter style carburetor get a original AVS of AFB or even a Thermoquad, not a Edelbrock Carter/Weber copy, Edelbrock makes some great parts but carbs aren't one of them...  :Twocents: personally I'd buy a Quickfuel SL or QFT 800 Vacuum Secondary with electric choke & never look back, way better carbs hands down... but it's your car, do what you think is right...

fy469rtse

I'm running the AVS for street and economy, tuning it very easy carb but it has its limitations for me, for serious street and track use have one of the proform range , there's company's out there that take what holly made and improve it,
Have a look at there street vacuum secondary range and go from there, you can't go wrong 750 should do it for a mild to stock 440 , Ron on here put me on to these and there the better version of a holly,

BSB67

It is pretty well known and documented that the Edelbrock 1407 is a turd, and tuning it is both too much effort and beyond the skills of most hobbyists. Find an original carter AFB or AVS with 1 11/16 throttle bores and it will outperform the 1407 in every measure.

However, that is not the case with all Edelbrock carbs, and most notably the 800 cfm Thunder.  There are engine builders/dyno operators that have concluded that the 1407 is junk, but will highly recommend the 1812 for some applications based on their findings on the dyno.  FWIW

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Budnicks on January 06, 2014, 07:53:18 PM
IMHFO, it's just that from someone who has run all three types of 4-bbl's on many different combos, if your dead set on using a Carter style carburetor get a original AVS of AFB or even a Thermoquad, not a Edelbrock Carter/Weber copy, Edelbrock makes some great parts but carbs aren't one of them...  :Twocents: personally I'd buy a Quickfuel SL or QFT 800 Vacuum Secondary with electric choke & never look back, way better carbs hands down... but it's your car, do what you think is right...

what if he wants a 1000 series plus dominator on his stock 318 shouldnt we steer him away from that  :icon_smile_big:

myk

Quote from: xs29bb1 on January 06, 2014, 11:49:02 AM

Honestly I'm speaking in regards to the original Performer line; I have the 1411/750 cfm on my Charger.  Even though I don't run the Thunder I can't imagine they're more different than the Performer 'carbs.  Holley 'carbs have so many variables to tune that it seems like a nightmare at first, but then you realize that the wide range of tunability is there for a reason.  Clearly, I'm not the only one that feels this way about these 'carbs, so keep asking questions and talking and then make your choice...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: myk on January 07, 2014, 08:52:26 AM

Honestly I'm speaking in regards to the original Performer line; I have the 1411/750 cfm on my Charger.  Even though I don't run the Thunder I can't imagine they're more different than the Performer 'carbs.  Holley 'carbs have so many variables to tune that it seems like a nightmare at first, but then you realize that the wide range of tunability is there for a reason.  Clearly, I'm not the only one that feels this way about these 'carbs, so keep asking questions and talking and then make your choice...

I agree with you about the(non)performer carbs,but the Avs Thunder series is an awsome carb for a mild build. I love Holleys when you start getting wild and bigger stroke etc.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 07, 2014, 09:02:56 AM
Quote from: myk on January 07, 2014, 08:52:26 AM

I agree with you about the(non)performer carbs,but the Avs Thunder series is an awsome carb for a mild build. I love Holleys when you start getting wild and bigger stroke etc.

What is the difference between the Performer and the Thunder?

Paul G

I picked up a used Holley 670 a while back. Put a kit in it, put it on the 360 and it was running extremely lean. Had to up the jetting 4 sizes front and back to get it to run right. Larger squirter and play with the pump cams to eliminate an off idle bog. It runs like a scalded dog now.

That is what you do with a Holley. They are great carbs to get the max power out of your set up. But you need to tune them for your engine. They wont run well right out of the box, in a lot of cases. Where as an Eddy will run well most times, just harder for simple guy like me to tune an Eddy for max performance.  

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#