News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which carb to choose?

Started by xs29bb1, January 04, 2014, 11:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Myk, the biggest difference is that the Performer is an AFB and the Thunder is an AVS.

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2014, 09:53:08 AM
Myk, the biggest difference is that the Performer is an AFB and the Thunder is an AVS.

I'm going to have to look into this AVS thing.  Edelbrock's "Performer" series, be it their carbs or manifolds, have left a bad taste in the Charger's mouth so we're both a little skeptical...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

The original AVS had a little more tuning ability with three step rods and an "air valve secondary" that could be adjusted for opening rate as opposed to the AFB with its counterweighted blade.

74Rallye

I've got Edelbrocks on my 318 & 440 Chargers. Great on the 318, dead spot on the bottom end for the 440.
I started with a 750, tuned it with the kit, tried several tricks, sold it, bought the 800, same story. The 440 has a mild build, 415 hp, 485 ft lbs.
Buy a Holly and be happy! Or make me happy and buy my Edelbrock.

ACUDANUT

With your application. Go with a Holley 750. Bolt it on and forget your troubles.

Ghoste

:yesnod:  And make it a vacuum secodary one. :Twocents:

Brass

Ghoste

Most street applications will be easier to run with a secondary system that opens based on engine demand as determined by the vacuum setting.  And it will be easier on fuel too.
Now if its more about performance...

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on January 07, 2014, 11:46:29 AM

I'm going to have to look into this AVS thing.  Edelbrock's "Performer" series, be it their carbs or manifolds, have left a bad taste in the Charger's mouth so we're both a little skeptical...

It's a WAY better carb Myk. Same as you I ran the 1411 for years and it always had stumbling problems, no matter how may times I tuned it. Switched to the 800 Thunder and right out of the box it was a big difference. No more stumbling and just felt better. If I had a bigger motor, was racing, or just wanted the biggest carb out there I would go with a holley or proform. But for driving around town the edelbrock thunder AVS works for me.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

xs29bb1

Thanks for all the responses - I've decided to go w/ the Thunder Series 800.  (the Performer doesn't appear to be a good choice)

I may be wrong, but from everybody I talked to, the Holley seems to be preferred by guys who are either taking the car to the track or are trying to get every last ounce of performance out of it, and on the other end, the Performer Edelbrock is just too limited. 

The Thunder AVS seems to be more of what I'm going to want for the kind of build I have, and the fact that the car is mainly going to be driven around town.  Again, I could be wrong, but as I average all of the responses here and listen to the guys I've talked to about it - it seems like the Thunder Series AVS will be a good carb for me.

...... and down the line, if I'm really unhappy w/ it, I'll deal w/ it then.

Thanks again guys - much appreciated!   :cheers: :cheers:

fy469rtse

Just get one of there jet metering rod kits with it, out of the box should start straight up, carby will come with a CD on basic tuning to carb, very easy , good insurance if running rich or lean ,

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on January 07, 2014, 07:20:10 PM
Quote from: myk on January 07, 2014, 11:46:29 AM

I'm going to have to look into this AVS thing.  Edelbrock's "Performer" series, be it their carbs or manifolds, have left a bad taste in the Charger's mouth so we're both a little skeptical...

It's a WAY better carb Myk. Same as you I ran the 1411 for years and it always had stumbling problems, no matter how may times I tuned it. Switched to the 800 Thunder and right out of the box it was a big difference. No more stumbling and just felt better. If I had a bigger motor, was racing, or just wanted the biggest carb out there I would go with a holley or proform. But for driving around town the edelbrock thunder AVS works for me.

Yup.  I'm no master-tuner but I'm pretty sure I've tweaked the 'Eddy Performer as far as it can go.  Between you and Ghoste telling me that the AVS Thunder is a better 'carb I just might have to give it a try.  DIE, PERFORMER DIE!!!!

BTW, wouldn't the 800cfm be too much for my stock 440?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

The AFB isn't horrible but it does take a almost lost art to tune it.  It is limited though and it doesn't help that Edelbrock has their version calibrated lean.
The AVS style (Thunder series) is going to allow a little more tuning but as mentioned, these Carter styled ones are more of a plug and play carb, they are best for stock replacement or someone who does not want to be messing around with a carb adjustment in my opinion.
As for size Myk, you SHOULD be alright.  800 is big for a 440 but this carb shouldn't allow any more air in than the engine can take.  The "air valve" on the top isn't operated by vacuum it works off of airflow.  There are a pair of conventional throttle blades in the base that work by mechanical linkage but the top blade only lets in what the engine will take.

firefighter3931

For the OP with a fairly mild build the 800 Thunder should work OK. When you step up the combo with more cam and head flow you also need a carb that has the matching fuel curve. This is where the adjustability of a Holley has an advantage. An agressive build requires an agressive fuel curve. There's more to it than just CFM.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Yes, The Eddycarters should be look at as stock replacements.

jdscofield

I personally would go with a Holley or a Demon because the Edelbrock carbs are too limited, but I get the feeling you are looking for more of a daily driver with some get up and go when desired.  Therefore, I think you made the right decision for you.  If you start taking it to the track, you're going to want to change it
MOPAR or no car

69wannabe

Its weird but I have had good and bad luck with both edelbrocks and holleys!! Have had more luck with the holley's for big blocks in the 750 and 850 cfm range. I have had a few good runnung 600 edelbrocks but tried a couple of 750's and didn't like the 750's at all. Have never tried an AVS 800 but I have had a 500 AVS and a 650 AVS and they were very decent and good running carbs, but if you want good driveability,performance and no bogging I would say go with a holley 750 vaccum secondary or even a 750 double pumper which was what I had on my 440 and was the best running carb I have ever had. I went up to a 493 ci and upgraded to an 850 holley double pumper which runs great just bolted on there and set the floats and set the mixture screws and that was all. I wish I didn't but I sold the 750 double pumper I had to a friend of mine needing a carb for a 454 chevelle. It was a great carb and it showed me a double pumper isn't just a race carb but a great street carb too!!

myk

Ok, so it seems we're all under the agreement that the 'Eddy is a plug and drive 'carb, and the Holley is a 'max tuning 'carb.  But...since we're all headed in the direction of optimum performance anyway, wouldn't it be easier, more financially sound to just buy the Holley right off of the bat?  Buy once, cry once and all that? 

Ghoste

For the most part, yes.  But there are some who just want to drive it as is.

BSB67

Honestly guys, I'm really not following.  There is plenty of adjustability of the Eddy carbs.  Arguably more than the typical hobbyist will use or understand.  There is more adjustability in the Eddy than the Holley's had in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  There is a guy here running 11.5s at over 120 mph in a pretty mild set-up using an Eddy 800 AVS Thunder.  Would a Holley be better, probably.  But the notion that the Eddy is a go slow non-adjustable carb is simply not accurate.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fy469rtse

Best thing I did was find new old stock of the metering rods, originals had three steps to them, improved the tuning of them dramatically, etc stumbles and such
But they will run lean at the top end if you really want to get on it with street tune

Ghoste

I don't think anyone meant Edelbrock carbs are go slow or non adjustable.  I view them as a stock replacement because for the money why spend more to get the better adjustability of the Holley if you don't need it. 

ACUDANUT

I will forever be a Holley man.

Brass

Any time I see an Edelbrock carb on a car it is a red flag to me.  Yes, I'm probably closed minded and maybe flat-out wrong about that.  (So  :cheers: to anyone who goes fast with theirs or loves them.)  But in my mind, they've been condemned by personal experience and I have no incentive to ever own another Edelbrock.  Nor would I use vacuum carbs when mechanicals can live perfectly normal lives on the street.  If cost was a consideration, I would rather take my chances with a good used double pumper.  If mileage was a great concern, I wouldn't own a big block.  Just my reasoning...

By the way, I bought a new Holley Avenger based partly on some comments found on this site.  Fine carb - yet back to a double pumper I promptly went.  

myk

Curious; the AVS is supposed to be Edelbrock's next generation of 'carbs yet the older Performer still fetches quite a premium, new or used... :shruggy: