News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which carb to choose?

Started by xs29bb1, January 04, 2014, 11:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

No doubt the AVS series carbs are better carbs than the performer carbs from my experiance. As far as a 600 holley vaccum secondary carb I have only had about one of those that was worth having. They are holley's cheapest go to carb tho. Get what you pay for of course!! :yesnod: I had a 600 holley vaccum carb on a 69 ford F100 I had built the engine in and it was mildly built with a small cam, headers and a edelbrock performer intake. It was a 390 engine but I couldn't get the holley 600 to run right at all. Bought a brand new 600 holley and it was junk too!! Took it back and swapped it for a 1405 performer 600 edelbrock and that engine never ran better!! That 390 loved that carb!! I had to do some minor jet changing and swapped up to the next richer metering rods and that was it. It was a great carb with no bogs or stumbles!! Got a 600 edelbrock performer on my dads old 72 F100 farm truck that runs perfect too!! When I bought my charger I felt obligated to run the edelbrock style carbs on there since they actually came on there from the factory and I did for a long time. The 650 AVS thunder series was a good carb without a doubt but I rebuilt a 750 holley double pumper for a friend and decided to set it on my 383 just to run it and set the floats and check it for leaks and set the mixture screws. I bolted that thing on there and started it up and it ran different!!! It revved better and seemed to be more powerful just with me revving it sitting still!!! After that I decided to hook up the gas cable and take it up the road just to see if it was any different. Different isn't the word,AWESOME is the word!!!! :yesnod: I actually traded my buddy out of that double pumper and it ran on my 383 for about 8 months until I swapped in the 440 and it was on the 440 for three more years after that. I know dodge came with carter carbs but from my experiance all the big blocks I have ever had or worked on sure like the holley style carbs. The only tuning I did on the holley carb was jet it up a couple of sizes and that was it.Like I posted before I recently bought an 850 holley double pumper and haven't had it apart at all. I bolted it on and made the normal adjustments and just drive it. Why buy a carb you almost know you are gonna have to tune and tune on it to get it to be  the way you want when you can buy one that will run your car pretty good just bolting it on there. I did try a holley street avenger one time. A good running carb like the AVS but still the double pumper is the best carb in my opinion. The 750 holley vaccum secondary carbs are my second choice for a 750 cfm size carb. I actually believe the old factory AVS carters are better than the new edelbrock clones of these old carbs. I have a 71 model 625 cfm AVS in my shop that runs better than most of the carbs I rebuild for people. I wish I knew why it runs so good because it sure doesn't look like a good carb but it does. More than likely the older one's were just better. Has anyone tried one of these new summit racing carbs?? They look like the old holley 4010 and 4011 series carbs but I have yet to talk to anyone that has tried one. They are priced alot cheaper than all the other carbs on the market and that worries me to think they may not be any good but you never know?? :shruggy:

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ws23rt

Quote from: 69wannabe on January 09, 2014, 07:56:13 PM
No doubt the AVS series carbs are better carbs than the performer carbs from my experiance. As far as a 600 holley vaccum secondary carb I have only had about one of those that was worth having. They are holley's cheapest go to carb tho. Get what you pay for of course!! :yesnod: I had a 600 holley vaccum carb on a 69 ford F100 I had built the engine in and it was mildly built with a small cam, headers and a edelbrock performer intake. It was a 390 engine but I couldn't get the holley 600 to run right at all. Bought a brand new 600 holley and it was junk too!! Took it back and swapped it for a 1405 performer 600 edelbrock and that engine never ran better!! That 390 loved that carb!! I had to do some minor jet changing and swapped up to the next richer metering rods and that was it. It was a great carb with no bogs or stumbles!! Got a 600 edelbrock performer on my dads old 72 F100 farm truck that runs perfect too!! When I bought my charger I felt obligated to run the edelbrock style carbs on there since they actually came on there from the factory and I did for a long time. The 650 AVS thunder series was a good carb without a doubt but I rebuilt a 750 holley double pumper for a friend and decided to set it on my 383 just to run it and set the floats and check it for leaks and set the mixture screws. I bolted that thing on there and started it up and it ran different!!! It revved better and seemed to be more powerful just with me revving it sitting still!!! After that I decided to hook up the gas cable and take it up the road just to see if it was any different. Different isn't the word,AWESOME is the word!!!! :yesnod: I actually traded my buddy out of that double pumper and it ran on my 383 for about 8 months until I swapped in the 440 and it was on the 440 for three more years after that. I know dodge came with carter carbs but from my experiance all the big blocks I have ever had or worked on sure like the holley style carbs. The only tuning I did on the holley carb was jet it up a couple of sizes and that was it.Like I posted before I recently bought an 850 holley double pumper and haven't had it apart at all. I bolted it on and made the normal adjustments and just drive it. Why buy a carb you almost know you are gonna have to tune and tune on it to get it to be  the way you want when you can buy one that will run your car pretty good just bolting it on there. I did try a holley street avenger one time. A good running carb like the AVS but still the double pumper is the best carb in my opinion. The 750 holley vaccum secondary carbs are my second choice for a 750 cfm size carb. I actually believe the old factory AVS carters are better than the new edelbrock clones of these old carbs. I have a 71 model 625 cfm AVS in my shop that runs better than most of the carbs I rebuild for people. I wish I knew why it runs so good because it sure doesn't look like a good carb but it does. More than likely the older one's were just better. Has anyone tried one of these new summit racing carbs?? They look like the old holley 4010 and 4011 series carbs but I have yet to talk to anyone that has tried one. They are priced alot cheaper than all the other carbs on the market and that worries me to think they may not be any good but you never know?? :shruggy:

I read this a couple of times----??  I will try again. It seems that at least it says that carbs work.

69wannabe

If you want it to just run put an edelbrock on it and if you want it to run good and be powerful put a holley on it.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 69wannabe on January 12, 2014, 10:20:15 PM
If you want it to just run put an edelbrock on it and if you want it to run good and be powerful put a holley on it.

X2...He'll learn the hard way.  :Twocents:

1974dodgecharger

I would like a holley 850 dp but they say its overkill......for my 383 witu nasty 509 cam.

billssuperbird

I have 440 with a 509 cam 750 elbrock. And now I am putting a ch4b intake on. Is this over kill.

69wannabe

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 13, 2014, 04:09:50 PM
I would like a holley 850 dp but they say its overkill......for my 383 witu nasty 509 cam.

A holley 750 DP would be a good size carb for your 383 with that big cam.  :yesnod:

69wannabe

Quote from: billssuperbird on January 13, 2014, 04:55:18 PM
I have 440 with a 509 cam 750 elbrock. And now I am putting a ch4b intake on. Is this over kill.

The CH4B intake is a good intake for power and driveability. If you were running a good holley 750 on there you would notice a big difference in performance.

billssuperbird

What is the best way to set air fuel mix on a 750 elbrock and adle.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

myk

Quote from: billssuperbird on January 16, 2014, 06:51:19 AM
What is the best way to set air fuel mix on a 750 elbrock and adle.

Vacuum gauge and/or 'tach.  With the engine warm, set the desired RPM.  Then, make minute adjustments to each idle-air-screw until maximum vacuum or RPM is achieved.  Then, reset the idle speed to the desired rate...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

billssuperbird