News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rare Mustang Boss 302 emerges from barn after 40-year slumber

Started by DadsCharger00, January 07, 2014, 10:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DadsCharger00

I know it's a mustang....but....at least the author truly understands what true "Barn Finds" are. Story seems sketchy at best. Another guy out for a big pay day

....."This Boss 302 may have been parked in the barn as shown in the photos, but it was never neglected; there's no way to keep such a vehicle dust-free for decades even under a tarp, and the tires, interior vinyl and other non-metal parts reflect some level of preservation."

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/rare-mustang-boss-302-emerges-barn-40-slumber-202830266.html

Ghoste

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

That part I get, what puzzles me is that they are all being found in barns and you would think garages, and warehouses and various other storage buildings would have worked too.  :icon_smile_wink:  :D

maxwellwedge

Cuz only farmers bought Fords?  :lol:

Sorry - No disrespect to farmers - we need them and they have chosen a very tough living.....tougher as each year passes.

Ghoste

Back N Black

Why is the barn finds all the rave? whats wrong with " found in a heated garage" and meticulously mainted by original owner?  :shruggy:

6spd68

Quote from: Back N Black on January 07, 2014, 12:10:20 PM
Why is the barn finds all the rave? whats wrong with " found in a heated garage" and meticulously mainted by original owner?  :shruggy:

I agree, but 'barn find' usually means someone lucked out and found a badass car needing restoration for cheap.  Now the SOB will just sell it off to someone for restore and bank on some easy cash...  Sucks for our hobby in a sense...  :(
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2014, 11:34:00 AM
That part I get, what puzzles me is that they are all being found in barns and you would think garages, and warehouses and various other storage buildings would have worked too.  :icon_smile_wink:  :D
It's quite expensive to have a car take up space in a warehouse or a household garage.  The space they take up cannot be readily replaced with more space for the fact that space is limited.  However, if a farmer needs more space, he just puts up another building.

Lord Warlock

Barn is a relative term, any building that is big enough to store a vehicle can be classified as a barn, and not that many folks have multiple garages to store cars for 40 years.  Barns on farms make more sense to store a car inside out of the elements.  My 2nd garage can't really be considered a barn since i don't live in the country, but its large enough to park a tractor in it or store hay so it could be a barn.  My charger has been stored now for 30+ years and only 7 of those did it sit on grass covered by a temporary garage structure.  I finally built a garage just to store it and another car because i figured i wasn't going to buy another house and would likely stay here for the next 20+ years.  the hobby garage isn't heated or insulated, doesn't really need it here in florida.  Just keeps it out of the elements and reduces the rodent population.  Had to move it out of the front garage because i finally got two daily drivers that were too nice to park outside every night.

It is surprising that we keep finding new instances of cars tucked away for 40 years, I would have thought they'd all have been pulled out and sold during previous high points in the market when car values peaked.  Nice to see a boss in nice shape and not covered in straw and rat feces or sunk to the axles in the dirt.  
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Back N Black on January 07, 2014, 12:10:20 PM

Because when is sits in a barn and doesn't run, that's where it stays for years. Normallly

fy469rtse

Yeh I agree , can't we have stories like found on the bottom of a swamp , every time i see that dukes remake I think of Baldwin vette when the dukes find there charger in the bottom of the stream , so looks like his car he heh , well at the start :D

tan top

amazing  , whats still being found  ,

with all the  conversation in cavemans thread about stick shifts !!  this mustang is a manual  ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 07, 2014, 03:32:46 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2014, 11:34:00 AM
That part I get, what puzzles me is that they are all being found in barns and you would think garages, and warehouses and various other storage buildings would have worked too.  :icon_smile_wink:  :D
It's quite expensive to have a car take up space in a warehouse or a household garage.  The space they take up cannot be readily replaced with more space for the fact that space is limited.  However, if a farmer needs more space, he just puts up another building.

Having grown up on a farm I can tell you that it isn't always that simple.  Space for storage is not generating income and believe it or not, it costs a little cash to put up another building.  I can't speak for anyone else but if we had needed more storage space because I had an old car in the barn, the car would have been pushed outside.
My real point was that in fact there ARE  lots of old cars stored in places other than barns but no one says that.  It was subtle sarcasm about the overuse of the term "barn find". :cheers:

chargerman69

Thats we do it, new barn every 10 years is how it works for us wise a rare car was sitting in our barns, next door theres a 54 caddlic in a barn and a family menbers barn there's a 73/74 charger, 66/67 gto, t-bird and coulpe order cars if you guys want see some pictures

DadsCharger00

Quote from: chargerman69 on January 07, 2014, 07:23:05 PM
Thats we do it, new barn every 10 years wise a rare car was sitting in our barns, next door theres a 54 caddlic in a barn and a family menbers barn there's a 73/74 charger, 66/67 gto, t-bird and coulpe order cars if you guys want see some pictures

Did I hear pictures??? :popcrn: :popcrn: :yesnod: :yesnod:

tan top

Quote from: DadsCharger00 on January 07, 2014, 07:45:12 PM
Quote from: chargerman69 on January 07, 2014, 07:23:05 PM
Thats we do it, new barn every 10 years wise a rare car was sitting in our barns, next door theres a 54 caddlic in a barn and a family menbers barn there's a 73/74 charger, 66/67 gto, t-bird and coulpe order cars if you guys want see some pictures

Did I hear pictures??? :popcrn: :popcrn: :yesnod: :yesnod:

:scope:  yeah man deffo pictures when you can  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Yep, you should only offer us car pix as a rhetorical question.  ;D

squeakfinder

Asking if posting pics of cool old cars on this site is a good idea is like going into a bar and asking a bunch of alcoholic's if you should have a drink.  :lol:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

cudaken

Quote from: squeakfinder on January 07, 2014, 08:28:57 PM

Asking if posting pics of cool old cars on this site is a good idea is like going into a bar and asking a bunch of alcoholic's if you should have a drink.  :lol:

:cheers: Belch  :2thumbs:
I am back

chargerman69

I no dumb thing to say everyone wants pictures, tomorrow i will post them in there own post

TheAutoArchaeologist

Barn Find is about the idea.  When you hear the word "Barn Find".  It automatically conjures up ideas of a car sitting neglected for decades.  Even if it was sitting in a pasture or garage, etc...

They are still out there.  Here is a barn find (really a barn) full of 6-pack and Hemi Challenger convertibles.  And a few Max Wedge Cars.... I shot New Years Eve weekend.

Ryan

DadsCharger00

Quote from: Devil on January 08, 2014, 03:04:56 PM
Barn Find is about the idea.  When you hear the word "Barn Find".  It automatically conjures up ideas of a car sitting neglected for decades.  Even if it was sitting in a pasture or garage, etc...

They are still out there.  Here is a barn find (really a barn) full of 6-pack and Hemi Challenger convertibles.  And a few Max Wedge Cars.... I shot New Years Eve weekend.

Ryan

Let me guess....none for sell either?  :eek2:

Homerr

Quote from: DadsCharger00 on January 08, 2014, 03:22:10 PM
Quote from: Devil on January 08, 2014, 03:04:56 PM

Ryan

Let me guess....none for sell either?  :eek2:

Maybe $100k each as is or they are going to the crusher.

Troy

That's almost kind of funny - even a project Hemi/Six Pack E-Body convertible would probably bring that amount of cash. I remember seeing 318 and Slant Six E-body vert carcasses selling for $40-60k just so someone could make clones of these cars!

Look at all those Shaker hoods!

After seeing way too many "barns" that look like that, I am trying my hardest to make sure my collection doesn't end up the same way as time marches on. I'd rather have fewer finished cars than a garage full of really awesome stuff that "needs restoration". For years now I've been collecting and that became my mindset - buy every rare/cool car I ran across. Why? I don't know. Just to say I owned it I guess. :shruggy: I still feel the urge but have learned a tiny bit of control. Now I have money to actually work on what I have.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I can delete the picture if you would like.... or I can blow your mind with the rest of the pictures.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157639214396605/

And yes... please stop sending me angry emails.  They are not all Convertibles, but if you look at the pictures, most of them are... in this barn.

He had a few interesting storage racks....

Ryan

Troy

Who me? I like the pictures - it's motivation! Having owned (and currently working on) several "barn finds" (or "field finds" in some cases) I can tell you that the restoration of those cars isn't going to be fun, easy, or wallet friendly. That Mustang that started the thread is in way better shape than anything I've ever seen in a non-climate controlled building. I know where some really awesome cars are sitting but, knowing what I know now, I couldn't afford to resurrect them even if I could pry them away from the owners. I'd have to flip them or park them in a corner for another 30-40 years.

Troy

6spd68

Quote from: Troy on January 08, 2014, 07:30:17 PM
Who me? I like the pictures - it's motivation! Having owned (and currently working on) several "barn finds" (or "field finds" in some cases) I can tell you that the restoration of those cars isn't going to be fun, easy, or wallet friendly. That Mustang that started the thread is in way better shape than anything I've ever seen in a non-climate controlled building. I know where some really awesome cars are sitting but, knowing what I know now, I couldn't afford to resurrect them even if I could pry them away from the owners. I'd have to flip them or park them in a corner for another 30-40 years.

Troy

Yep...  I'm slowly but surely learning this as well.  Then again I'm only in the infancy of my first major resto
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on January 08, 2014, 04:54:15 PM
That's almost kind of funny - even a project Hemi/Six Pack E-Body convertible would probably bring that amount of cash. I remember seeing 318 and Slant Six E-body vert carcasses selling for $40-60k just so someone could make clones of these cars!

Look at all those Shaker hoods!

After seeing way too many "barns" that look like that, I am trying my hardest to make sure my collection doesn't end up the same way as time marches on. I'd rather have fewer finished cars than a garage full of really awesome stuff that "needs restoration". For years now I've been collecting and that became my mindset - buy every rare/cool car I ran across. Why? I don't know. Just to say I owned it I guess. :shruggy: I still feel the urge but have learned a tiny bit of control. Now I have money to actually work on what I have.

Troy

Wow, I wonder what my Convertible would bring these days ?  :shruggy:

Troy

Convertible what? There is currently a 318 Barracuda shell for sale at around $40k. Don't know if it will sell but if all the convertible specific parts are there it will probably come close.

From the other pictures I see that the back wall isn't the only place for storing shaker hoods. No wonder the supply of original parts seems limited!

Troy

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on January 09, 2014, 01:26:06 PM
Convertible what? There is currently a 318 Barracuda shell for sale at around $40k. Don't know if it will sell but if all the convertible specific parts are there it will probably come close.

From the other pictures I see that the back wall isn't the only place for storing shaker hoods. No wonder the supply of original parts seems limited!

Troy

Troy, Mine is a 71 Challenger "R/T cloned" and redone into a 440 auto.   :cheers:

TheAutoArchaeologist

I can honestly say that my 71 Barracuda Convertible did not go for anywhere near that.  But then again... yeah...

Ryan

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 09, 2014, 01:31:19 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 09, 2014, 01:26:06 PM

Troy

Troy, Mine is a 71 Challenger "R/T cloned" and redone into a 440 auto.   :cheers:
Well, put it up for sale and see what it brings! In my opinion (and mine only) the year will hurt its value a little. If it were a 70 Challenger or 70-71 Cuda it would be worth more because the pool of potential buyer will be bigger. Of course, it's easy to make a 71 Challenger look like a 70...

Troy

ACUDANUT

That won't happen on my end. I like the 71 Grill and taillights much better.  :Twocents:

Dino

Whenever I see pictures of things like that, rare cars tucked n a barn going nowhere, I always get motivated to get rid of more stuff and keep just the normal wear parts to ensure my car will be on the road as long as possible.  People who hoard like that are ill, very sad.  Sell everything, retire comfortable and let others enjoy these cars.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

time to put mine away in a barn..for kicks and giggles......