News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona rear window vs the Vega rear window

Started by wingcar, January 08, 2014, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcar

Hopefully this question hasn't been asked before:  
During a discussion of the differences between the Daytona plug/rear window and the Vega hatch/rear window, a friend asked how different, are the two windows in regards to size and shape.   Anyone know the measurement differences between the two.  He also asked if the Vega window could be "cut" to fit the Daytona plug.  And, lastly could the Vega rear window trim be cut to fit the Daytona rear window.  In case you hadn't guessed, he is thinking about turning his Charger into a Daytona clone (and yes, he understands the work involved)  I figured someone here could better answer the questions.    
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Troy

You don't use the Daytona plug with the Vega glass - you make one out of the Vega hatch. You also use the Vega trim. In most cases, you'd use a Vega hatch because you're building a clone and cannot afford - or don't want to use - the original Daytona pieces. If you have original Daytona plug and glass the trim can be made out of standard Charger pieces.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70 sublime

But what is the difference between the 2 glass
Are they the same shape or is one longer,wider , more of a bow to it  ??? 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ghoste

They aren't the same shape and somewhere on here there is aphoto showing the two side by side.  I forget the difference now and which thread but it is here. :2thumbs:

Aero426

Actual size and shape are different, so nothing interchanges.   The Vega glass is something like the Daytona glass oriented 180 degrees.   But it makes a convincing replica at first glance.  
Daytona plug in primer, Vega hatch is red. 

Stevearino

The glass is tempered so the only chance you have of cutting it is if you want it to end up in a billion little pieces. I have heard that tempered glass can be heated up to near it's melt point take the temper out. You would then cut it and re temper it. Not sure it would be worth all of that effort. Problem with custom glass would be the fact that both pieces are dome shaped. You can get a piece of custom tempered glass that has shape in one direction or an arc but not as easy to get custom  glass in a dome shape. I am sure with all of the clones out there every avenue for glass replacement has been exhausted by many over the years.
The specific differences as you can see from the pictures of both are that the Vega window is curved at the base and straight across the top and the Daytona is just the opposite with the upper arc matching the roof line side to side. The Vega window is a little wider also .

daytonalo

Let me chime in guy's!!! Comparing the two is like trying to say a KIA engine looks and feels like a 426 HEMI !!! Next topic !!!  :icon_smile_big:

dgracerx

HAS ANY ONE TRIED TURNING THE VEGA HATCH UP SIDE DOWN ?

Stevearino

Quote from: dgracerx on January 08, 2014, 09:05:07 PM
The Vega glass is wider at the bottom  than the top as is the span between the sail panels on the Charger so that is not possible.

hotrod98

Quote from: Stevearino on January 08, 2014, 09:22:52 PM
Quote from: dgracerx on January 08, 2014, 09:05:07 PM
The Vega glass is wider at the bottom  than the top as is the span between the sail panels on the Charger so that is not possible.

It's over two inches wider at the bottom. Besides, the Vega plug fits into the back window opening almost perfectly. There's no reason to mix and match the Daytona parts and the Vega parts. Simply remove the inner reinforcement and use an English wheel to relax the bottom area. Then use a 3rd gen Dutchman to complete the trunk opening. This is like deja vu all over again...lol  There are several threads regarding the installation of the plug and there are hundreds of different ways to do it. Some ways look better than others.  After you've done three or four of them, you can install one in a long day.  Then another day for the body work to fill in the welds and prep for paint. The real trick is to not alter the deck lid until you have the plug tacked in.  It's much easier to get the deck lid to fit the new opening that way.  The deck lid front edge has to be left longer than on a real Daytona deck lid so that there is a place for the trunk weatherstrip to seat against the deck lid and so that the humps on the bottom of the deck lid don't sit on the trunk opening channel.  Does any of this make sense?  Take notes.  There's a pop quiz on Friday  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

A383Wing

I can already tell I'm gonna fail the test..my head hurts now

Mike DC

The question is . . .  will the Daytona or the Vega stuff eventually end up being harder to get? 

Vegas were made by the zillion but they had no collectible value and it's already not easy to find them.  Daytonas were extremely small in number but they have much more of a fanbase than Vegas do now. 

6pkrtse

Thanks for the picture Aero426. Now after seeing that, even though I have a vega hatch I don't think I want to use it on my Dayclona after seeing the difference overall from one to the other. I will keep it for now, somebody, someday will probably repop the correct (less expensive) option than whats out there now.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 09, 2014, 04:06:40 AM

The question is . . .  will the Daytona or the Vega stuff eventually end up being harder to get? 

What is the market worldwide in our lifetime for Daytona clones done with the rear window treatment?   Is it safe to say it might be about 100 cars, of which 50 may get built? 

As to the other question of waiting for steel Daytona rear plugs in reproduction versus using the Vega,  it would be hard to argue that there is enough of a market to justify the expense.    The Vega treatment looks so convincing, I don't know why you would wait to go another way. 

Mike DC

Exactly what is the Vega situation now, anyway? 

Is the glass itself reproduced?  I assume the sheetmetal hatch & chrome trim are junkyard-only items. 

Is there enough of a Vega fanbase among the Chevy guys to make these things reasonably attainable for years to come? 

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 09, 2014, 05:30:20 PM

Exactly what is the Vega situation now, anyway? 

Is the glass itself reproduced?  I assume the sheetmetal hatch & chrome trim are junkyard-only items. 

Is there enough of a Vega fanbase among the Chevy guys to make these things reasonably attainable for years to come? 

By my last post, if I am correct, a person would need a relatively small number of salvage Vega hatches to supply the worldwide demand.     I am sure there are a number of these "on the shelf" that either will be used or traded around later on, not to mention those still attached to junk cars or available out west.   Perhaps they get a little hard to come by, but sure have not heard that there is a supply problem.    I do not think there is a market to reproduce them or the glass.    Salvage yard only pieces.

Old Moparz

I've poked around on internet searches & have occasionally found NOS Vega glass scattered around the US. Shipping is costly but if I find one within a couple of hours from me I'd get it if it was reasonable to use in place of the one I have & save that one as a spare. I've inquired at one supplier about repro glass & was told it wasn't available.

By the way, here is a good side by side photo someone had posted here before....
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus