News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cams...

Started by slim, March 07, 2006, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about cams. The different kinds/ grind/ duration/ lift etc.  I know very little about this kind of stuff and would like to learn... anything would be useful thanks

RD

well.....  pretty general question.

There are four types of cams:

1) Hydraulic
2) Mechanical/Solid
3) Hydraulic roller
4) Mechanical roller

The Hydraulic cam is most often used in older street cars due to it not having a adjustable rocker arm setup.  It is not required.  They have hydraulic lifters that are spring loaded and allow for any minor adjustments that will be needed during the cycle of an engine.  The cam profile on these types of cams vary from low to extreme.  Hydraulic cams are not usually found in pro street cars due to their direct loss of hp and torque in comparison to the solid cams.  Good for street/strip use, but mainly used on street vehicles.

The solid cam is where the cam uses a solid lifter and adjustable rocker arm assemblies.  Solid cams will produce more hp and torque than hydraulic cams because of their more direct response in relation to moving the lifters and valvetrain.  The lifters are "solid" and have no spring mechanism needed to be pumped up (hydraulic).  The movement of the cam lobe is transitioned directly to the lifter/pushrod/rocker arm/ and valve at the same time.  Hydraulic lifters give a little in the spring zone before the actual movement of the pushrod/rocker arm/valve comes into play.

The roller cams are different in many aspects.  One they use roller lifters that allow for a more frictionless environment which adds to horsepower.  They both require adjustable rocker arms.  They usually entail high .500 and .600 lifts.  The cam lobe profiles are less egg shaped than solid and hydraulic cams because the need for a speedy lift is not required because of the less friction and energy needed to move the valvetrain components.  Roller cams require a 3 bolt timing chain in most cases (I wont say all) and a bronze distributor gear.

I am sure others will chime in or correct me.  No worries.

Hope this helps.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander