News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me save my 69 (pics)

Started by Rayzor, March 07, 2006, 11:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

A drunk driver is responsible for this..... Anyways, Were do I start? I does not appear to have caused any frame damage as the 1 ton that smashed into it hit higher up then the lower rocker. Need some help/advise on what to do with this. I have plenty of tools and a mig, have done a fair share of body work and small rust repairs. Quarters and beyond are new news though. HELP!!!

Rayzor

I can take more detailed photos if anyone needs to see another area a touch more clearly. :-\ Thanks for any help

THE CHARGER PUNK

id say basically u need a parts car and a new quarter and rocker panel probably drivers side floor as well-MATT

terrible one

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on March 07, 2006, 11:59:45 PM
id say basically u need a parts car and a new quarter and rocker panel probably drivers side floor as well-MATT

Yeah, that'll buff right out of the door lol.

I'm no bodyman, but seems to me you will need quarter panel, possibly rocker, door, window, and window tracks

So how did this happen? I'm curious. That really sucks man...

Rayzor

surprisingly the floor and anything under the rocker does not have any visable damage. Its the post were the door latch was has me really freaked. Even parts chargers are 5 grand it seems these days to. Would a cornet or satellite center post be the same? I can get a new quarter skin easy enough. 

terrible one

Yeah, the post is scary. You are going to need a nice hearty piece of a minor-rust parts car. That's a lot of money

694spdRT

I don't think the repo quarter skins are going to fix everything that is damaged. They only go to the top bodyline and your original top section is bent up pretty bad as well. You might have to find a parts car with decent upper section and then weld a repo to that.

If insurance is involved try to find a complete rust free cut off quarter and have it shipped in. They are still around but, expensive. Sorry about the damage....did you make it through OK?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Rayzor

Yea the top part of the quarter is pretty tweaked up.  I have been thinking of carefuly drilling out the remaing spot welds that attach the outer quarter to the center post. And using a cut off to take out the most damaged section. This would allow me to pull out the inner sheet metal and rear passenger window area hopefuly back as close as possible. I still have my 68's here so I was also thinking of making some templates to reshape the upper section off them. I really doubt this car will ever be a looker again with my skills and bank account, but if I can at least keep it going without taking the easy route and parting it out or whatever I will be happy. I plan on using it as my fun/drag car anyways. I just dont have the heart to cut it up to throw away. Its a rainy night in oregon.......

tan top

Quote from: Rayzor on March 08, 2006, 01:52:20 AM
Yea the top part of the quarter is pretty tweaked up. I have been thinking of carefully drilling out the reaming spot welds that attach the outer quarter to the center post. And using a cut off to take out the most damaged section. This would allow me to pull out the inner sheet metal and rear passenger window area hopefully back as close as possible. 
    :iagree: also looking at the photo closely :scope: check the -wheel/tire for damage /buckled wheel ,bent half shaft etc, /bent spring hangers , aliment, it is probably unlikely though , because mopars and cars in general from the 60s/70s are stronger in that area than modern stuff.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Drop Top

Take the car to a good reliable frame shop before you do anything. I have fixed much worse then what you see here. But after a hit like that it needs to have a go on a frame machine. Then you can start to replace the 1/4 panel. The door post will need some attintion with the frame machine also. It can be saved but it should be done by someone with experance in retorations.

bull

Hey Rayzor,

The outer skin is the least of your worries, and the easiest part to fix really. You can get them from a dozen different sources. Like Drop Top said, a frame rack will help you figure out a lot of what's going on underneath and inside and tell you what all you're going to need to buy. Is the guy's insurance going to pay for it? Remember, you can take your car to ANY shop YOU want to to have the work done so I would reccommend taking it to a restoration shop rather than a 'body shop' if you know what I mean. East Portland Auto Body (503-253-6133) can do the frame work for you if they're not too backed up on work. I know it's a ways up here for you but if you call Bill he can probably reccommend someone down your way if you don't want to drag it all the way up to Portland. Bill really knows Chargers. There are plenty of Charger parts cars out there you can still get odd stuff off of without having to buy the whole thing. I would guess you'll be needing a new window register on top of it all. Yours is probably all bent up. Did the 1/4 glass break? Check out this '69 SE parts car below. I got the package tray off of it from Pocket Thunder who owns a Sawz All. :icon_smile_evil: If you need any parts it looks like it's all sitting right there and Pocket is a great guy to deal with, but I'd go with the frame rack first before you worry too much about parts. BTW, Drop Top is the MAN. Always good advice. Always.

Blown70

I may in a month or two have some parts but I do not know if you want to wait that long.  I will have a pretty rust free shell but, the passenger 1/4 is not good the other parts may work.

Tom

Rayzor

I agree on the frame machine check out, That seems like the best place to start.  Yes the quarter window is broken. And the back window popped out and flew about 50 feet but strangly enough did not break. Bull, thanks for the numbers and pointer to the parts car. I will see if I can get ahold of Pocket Thunder. That looks like a perfect parts car to raid for the sheet metal if the frame is not bent beyond repair. Blown70, the bad quarter your speaking of, is it just wheel well rust or smashed etc? I am paitent enough to wait for the right parts and this is not a quicky scuff and shoot project anyway ;) worse comes to worse I can take a pic of the good side and send it to that HLpag guy. Sell it with the understanding the car is mint with the exception of a slight door bang that nobody would notice. A real daisy..... 

Blown70

Quote from: Rayzor on March 08, 2006, 12:50:43 PM
I agree on the frame machine check out, That seems like the best place to start.  Yes the quarter window is broken. And the back window popped out and flew about 50 feet but strangly enough did not break. Bull, thanks for the numbers and pointer to the parts car. I will see if I can get ahold of Pocket Thunder. That looks like a perfect parts car to raid for the sheet metal if the frame is not bent beyond repair. Blown70, the bad quarter your speaking of, is it just wheel well rust or smashed etc? I am paitent enough to wait for the right parts and this is not a quicky scuff and shoot project anyway ;) worse comes to worse I can take a pic of the good side and send it to that HLpag guy. Sell it with the understanding the car is mint with the exception of a slight door bang that nobody would notice. A real daisy..... 

No some retard tried to torch off the 1/4 but around the door and lower is good.  Just kinda warped and kinked.

Tom

PocketThunder

Quote from: bull on March 08, 2006, 09:43:41 AM
Hey Rayzor,

The outer skin is the least of your worries, and the easiest part to fix really. You can get them from a dozen different sources. Like Drop Top said, a frame rack will help you figure out a lot of what's going on underneath and inside and tell you what all you're going to need to buy. Is the guy's insurance going to pay for it? Remember, you can take your car to ANY shop YOU want to to have the work done so I would reccommend taking it to a restoration shop rather than a 'body shop' if you know what I mean. East Portland Auto Body (503-253-6133) can do the frame work for you if they're not too backed up on work. I know it's a ways up here for you but if you call Bill he can probably reccommend someone down your way if you don't want to drag it all the way up to Portland. Bill really knows Chargers. There are plenty of Charger parts cars out there you can still get odd stuff off of without having to buy the whole thing. I would guess you'll be needing a new window register on top of it all. Yours is probably all bent up. Did the 1/4 glass break? Check out this '69 SE parts car below. I got the package tray off of it from Pocket Thunder who owns a Sawz All. :icon_smile_evil: If you need any parts it looks like it's all sitting right there and Pocket is a great guy to deal with, but I'd go with the frame rack first before you worry too much about parts. BTW, Drop Top is the MAN. Always good advice. Always.

I was just about to offer up my parts car to Rayzor.  Good thinking Bull. 

Rayzor i can chop off anything that you need.  I'll be at this car tomorrow night and i can take some more pictures of what is there if you'd like. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Rayzor

Pocket Thunder,  Yes I would like some pics if possible. Where are you located anyways? I am going to take some more detailed photos also to post up. A burning bush just spoke to me and said really loud, THOU MUST RECONSTRUCT THY PILE OF CHARGER. So now I am on a mission.

bull

So I gather the drunk a$$hole that hit you has no insurance, or skipped out on you? Too bad if that's the case. You could really get it done right if you had about $10k of this guy's insurance money to play with.

MOPARHOUND!

That's a bummer Rayzor.  Brings tears  :'( to a tough guy's eyes.

Hope he has insurance, and they don't mess you around.

We're pullin' for ya'.

Sorry for the worn out cliche', but "Inch by Inch it is a Cinch, Yard by Yard it is Hard".

Keep the spirit up.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Rayzor

Nope no insurance money and a stolen truck make for a nice free screwing. But, It could be worse. I could not have the car at all.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Rayzor on March 08, 2006, 02:35:11 PM
Pocket Thunder,  Yes I would like some pics if possible. Where are you located anyways? I am going to take some more detailed photos also to post up. A burning bush just spoke to me and said really loud, THOU MUST RECONSTRUCT THY PILE OF CHARGER. So now I am on a mission.

I'll get pictures for you next Saturday the 18th.  :yesnod:

And i am in St. Paul, MN  ..............high of 50º tomorrow!  woo hoo!!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

SeattleCharger

ouch, crunch,that looks like a major impact,   :o

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Rayzor

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 09, 2006, 11:25:55 PM
Quote from: Rayzor on March 08, 2006, 02:35:11 PM

I'll get pictures for you next Saturday the 18th.  :yesnod:

And i am in St. Paul, MN  ..............high of 50º tomorrow!  woo hoo!!
Ok sounds good. Wouldnt want you to be sweating all over the parts car ;)

Mike DC

One more vote to get it onto a frame machine right away and see what you're dealing with.  I'd bet ten bucks the car is more bent than just the obvious stuff.

You could start by just tape-measuring things yourself.  Do diagonal X-checks all over the car's center cabin structure.  The framerails may still be solid, but it's not hard to slightly distort the car's entire shell with a hit like that.  That's one of the worst ways to crash a unibody.

ds69rt

the frame pull is the first thing to do before you cut off anything. if the right pulls are made,you may be able to save  more than you think.

jerry

jgbailey57

i'm doing the same thing to my car but i didn't have quite as much damage.  luckily for me it came with a complete quarter section including door post.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

Rayzor

jgbailey, your right your in the same boat as I am. so now you have proof it could have been worse

moparsinbarns

Hope you had insurance on it..lol. Well, if I was you, put it on a lift and get under it with a friend who knows what hes doing and do a very close inspection on the frame. If the frame is bent, u mine as well put the car in the garage and put a car cover over it. If thats the case, keep the car, dont get rid of it. Now if theres no frame damage, then it looks like u'll have to buy a parts car, cut the quater off and whatever else is damaged and basically start the whole left side of the car over again.
Mopar Or No Car!!!!!!!!