News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley Troubles...New Carb No Fuel out of squirters/accelerator pump

Started by MoparMotel, February 03, 2014, 04:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

Bought a new 85770 Aluminum 770 Street Avenger for my 383 about a year ago...5 months after owning it noticed the front bowl sight glass window was leaking...long story short got NO where with Holley customer serivce so my car has been driving with a Thunder AVS 800 since. Two weeks ago Jegs where I purchased it said send it back we will send you another one. Got the new one Friday, Just finished installing it 30 minutes ago.

- Here's my problem. Rear fuel bowl is right in the middle of sight glass window and looks good...Front bowl is too full...figured i'd start the car and adjust after setting mixture screws timing idle ETC. Car will NOT start... I have fuel because the bowls are full...There is ZERO fuel coming out of squirters/accelerator pump... Sprayed a little bit of starting fluid just to see if it was something else and nope fired right up.

Why would I be getting Zero fuel out of squirters when there is plenty of fuel in the bowls?

If I have to send this carb back that will be the end of my Holley experience. I took off a Edelbrock Thunder AVS 800cfm that is 6 years old and car runs perfect with it. This Holley was a pretty penny and I am hoping I can get this fixed and enjoy the increased performance and throttle response everyone has told me by switching to holley.

Any thoughts? This is a brand new carb NOT a refurbished one.
1968 Dodge Charger

1974dodgecharger

is the fuel bowls still full after startup? 

Holleys are pretty adjustment that if one goes wrong you could adjust something on there.  So even with the car off you pump the cam and no fuel coming out of squirters at all? Check the cam screw in?  Missing cam is the only thing I can think of that would let no fuel out.

68 RT

John_Kunkel

The accelerator pump is located on the bottom of the front bowl, as you open the throttle you should see the pump lever move down...if it does the adjustment isn't the problem.

There is a check valve in the bowl that allows the pump to suck fuel from the bowl; if it's missing, the pump won't draw fuel and can't discharge any. The path from the pump to the discharge nozzle is rather circuitous (goes from bowl through the metering block and then into the main body), an improperly installed gasket or missing transfer tube can prevent pump operation.

IOW, you need to send it back or pull it apart to find the blockage. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ACUDANUT

Don't they test these carbs before shipping them. ? Also, I heard Holley went out of business ?

cudaken

One thing I have learned. If things never went wrong, Man kind would never came up the idea of a warranty. ;)

I have had very good luck with Holley.

Cuda Ken
I am back

MoparMotel

hey guys,

ive calmed down since last night and want to get it fixed, I have the Flu and it took every ounce of energy I had to swap carbs and get it all put together. When it didn't start there was a lot of cussing and yelling, partly because I felt so horrible lol.

I didn't have time to work on it today but here is what I can tell you from looking at it.

Rear fuel bowl is 3/4 up the sight glass window with fuel, front bowl is to the top of sight glass window.
Accelerator pump arm is moving up and down with the throttle
Throttle linkage is functioning correctly- everything moving like it should including accelerator pump arm
ZERO fuel comes out of squirters, not even air bubbles.
Squirted a little starting fluid down the metal tube that sticks up right behind front bowl and car fired right up then died when it burned off all starting fluid.

I don't have the knowledge to pull one of these completly apart, so unless it is something I can easily access taking front bowl off, I'm sending it back.

1968 Dodge Charger

1974dodgecharger

Not picking up fuel from the tank then?  sending unit clogged? :shruggy:

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 04, 2014, 04:07:37 AM
Not picking up fuel from the tank then?  sending unit clogged? :shruggy:

Nah he's got fuel in the bowls; something's amiss in the 'carb itself...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"