News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wipers

Started by fireguyfire, February 11, 2014, 12:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

Just testing my wipers to make sure they are working right before putting on my wiper arms (luckily I didnt put them on) and noticed that the splined wiper studs are starting in the park position, rotatating downward towards the cowel instead of upwards onto the windshield, and then when turned off returning to the park position.
I had the wiper motor professionally rebuilt/restored.
My question is, did I put the linkage in wrong, or is there an electrical issue with the motor? Can they only turn in one direction?
If I have to monkey with the linkage, do I have to pull out the dash (which I just put back in and is working perfectly)?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

fy469rtse

Had the same issue on a previous car, same reason I have not put my arms on yet , very sure it has to do with the top plate on motor , that's the park switches, but do a quick search Fred was asking questions on parts for his wiper motor, and we all put him on to Kim from Passion for mopars, they are on here also, they will be able to sort you out in no time ,
So search for the thread , only a couple of weeks old to do with the arm that connects to motor, I think you could have some wires maybe back to front in plug ,
Have you check it against your factory service manual

fireguyfire

Had a look at the wiring where it goes into the firewall connection; everything appears to be as it should according to the shop manual wiring diagram.
Any chance its the wiper linkage connected wrong somehow?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

fireguyfire

As suggested here, I contacted Kim and she was very friendly and was able to sort out my problem over the phone.
  Thanks Kim!
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

Ghoste

What did it end up being?

fireguyfire

My own darn fault; I had the linkage connected 180 degrees wrong to the wiper motor. I was attaching it on the firewall side through the wiper motor hole, and I thought I had tried it both ways to make sure, but what was happening was as I rotated it back through the firewall to attach it back down, the link was rotating as well. Once I popped the radio out and looked at it from the dash side, I could see it was wrong; the small link connecting arm should run towards the drivers side of the car off the motor, or parallel to the gold plated barrel of the wiper motor, as Kim explained to me.
Anyway, pulling off the nut, rotating the link connection arm 180 degrees and reattaching has solved my problem!
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent