News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 dipstick tube examples; Hemi and headers

Started by hemi68charger, February 14, 2014, 09:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Got to thinking with the 426 Hemi transplant I'm doing in the Daytona that I need an alternative for the transmission dipstick/tube. I am going to install TTI headers. Can anyone out there who's running a 426 Hemi/727 with headers post some pictures and the type of dipstick they are using?

Thanks,
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

oldkimmer

...................u can buy a flexable 1 from Lockar.............kim.......
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charge69

I was waiting to see if "the masses" had another answer but, Lokar is what I used also.  My headers (also TTi) were already installed and the motor was in my Charger (from the bottom) before we thought about the dipstick! The stock one just would not work with the TTi headers and even the Lokar unit was ornery about fitting right.  They (lokar) do not list a specific, at least they did not when my motor was installed, one for a 426 Hemi so ...... I discussed this with a tech at JEGS and ended up getting one for a 454 GM motor. It works but it is still a little hard to put the stick back in the tube due to the severe bend the tube has to make to fit the motor and engine compartment.

I am pretty sure a stock one just will not work with the TTi headers!

cdr

lot  of people put headers on these cars WAY before aftermarket dip sticks where around!!! call tti & talk to them,they just might know lol
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

charge69

As I remember, TTi says in the paperwork the headers are shipped with the stock dipstick tube will NOT work. No, they did not have a recommendation as to what brand to use but, Lokar was the obvious choice with a flexible dipstick and dipstick tube.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 14, 2014, 09:40:17 AM
Hey gang..
Got to thinking with the 426 Hemi transplant I'm doing in the Daytona that I need an alternative for the transmission dipstick/tube. I am going to install TTI headers. Can anyone out there who's running a 426 Hemi/727 with headers post some pictures and the type of dipstick they are using?

Thanks,

Go 4speed. Problem solved. :D
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charge69

Good answer!  For some reason, I answered the question thinking of the OIL DIPSTICK, not the 727! My bad and I do not have a picture handy but we used the original dipstick from my 727 and I do not remember any problems encountered.

boys3rt

When I got my TTI headers the setup came with an adapter bracket that bolts right up to one of the flange bolts. You didn't have to modify anything as long as you had the Hemi Automatic Dipstick Tube assembly. If you don't have one they are reproduced and work just fine. You will not be able to use a setup from a big block just the Hemi setup. Like mentioned earlier you could use a flexible setup !

Now the oil indicator dip stick tube is another issue.

The car is put away for now but if needed I would be glad to get you some images when the car gets out of storage.

Let me know if I can be of any additional help and good luck.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: charge69 on February 15, 2014, 09:00:01 PM
Good answer!  For some reason, I answered the question thinking of the OIL DIPSTICK, not the 727! My bad and I do not have a picture handy but we used the original dipstick from my 727 and I do not remember any problems encountered.

Here is mine. Had it this way on my former Daytona clone too. Works great.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: boys3rt on February 16, 2014, 04:36:50 PM
When I got my TTI headers the setup came with an adapter bracket that bolts right up to one of the flange bolts. You didn't have to modify anything as long as you had the Hemi Automatic Dipstick Tube assembly. If you don't have one they are reproduced and work just fine. You will not be able to use a setup from a big block just the Hemi setup. Like mentioned earlier you could use a flexible setup !

Now the oil indicator dip stick tube is another issue.

The car is put away for now but if needed I would be glad to get you some images when the car gets out of storage.

Let me know if I can be of any additional help and good luck.

I will have to see if I got the adaptor.. I don't recall seeing one in the box.. Maybe it is in one of the header bags. I have one header still in the bag it was shipped in.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection