News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reupholstered my dash pad and door pads

Started by sanders7981, February 18, 2014, 01:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

As much as I would like to drop more cash into the charger and buy new door and dash pads, or get mine restored... It's totally out of the budget.  So, I saved myself some cash and just recovered them in a slightly darker shade of saddle to add so up contrast to my interior.  I picked up some vinyl for $8.00 at Hancock Fabrics and went to town. Although I lost the molded details of the door pads, I didn't loose $800 for new ones!  I can live with it.  :coolgleamA:  here's some pics of the dash and a few of the door pads prior to completion.  I really tight about doing a French stitch along the door pads to add some detail, but I may do that at a later date.  Should have them finished up tomorrow.  

Front door pad medallion section

Ghoste

I'm interested to see the contrast, you'll have to be sure and post pics when you get them installed.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

sanders7981

Shot of the one of the front door pads.  Rears are complete.  I should have it all installed in the car this weekend.  Waiting on my cat whiskers to get in!

jaak

Good job  :2thumbs:

Funny thing is I started on mine too. I did the left rear first....It was a learning experience of 'Do's & Don'ts'. I was pretty happy, the only problem I had (and I think its because I let the glue sit a little too long before pressing the new vinyl down) is there are some small bumps I could not get smoothed out in the 'channel' that's molding in the center. Like I said, I think I let the glue set up too long and it "balled" up and would not smooth out. Looks pretty good, a whole lot better than when I started. If I got enough material left over after doing the other 3, I might pull it off and re-do it.

Before...

After...

Jason

sanders7981

Quote from: jaak on February 19, 2014, 12:24:16 AM
Good job  :2thumbs:

Funny thing is I started on mine too. I did the left rear first....It was a learning experience of 'Do's & Don'ts'. I was pretty happy, the only problem I had (and I think its because I let the glue sit a little too long before pressing the new vinyl down) is there are some small bumps I could not get smoothed out in the 'channel' that's molding in the center. Like I said, I think I let the glue set up too long and it "balled" up and would not smooth out. Looks pretty good, a whole lot better than when I started. If I got enough material left over after doing the other 3, I might pull it off and re-do it.

Jason

Thanks brother!  Glue is definitely the culprit there.  I had the tissue with my headliner, so I pulled the liner back off, sprayed it with wax&grease remover the wiped the glue off.  Reapplied glue and then pressed it down. The glue, in my case 3M multipurpose spray adhesive (can), dried too much and I picked up the material then tried to lay it back down.  The glue that stuck to the backside and pulled apart ended up balling together causing bumps.  You could probably pull off your vinyl clean the backside let it dry then reapply.  The wax & grease remover I used was from southern polyurethanes.  It's smells like a combination of water and rubbing alcohol.  It softened up the glue enough and allowed me to run it with a cloth to roll it all up and then pick and pull it off. 

jaak

Yes, I noticed in your pic we are using the same spray adhesive.
I also wonder if it would be easier to maybe buy a can of contact adhesive and brush it on instead of spraying it, maybe it could be smoothed out better  :shruggy:. I've thought about buying a pint can, to try on the other rear pad, to see if it makes any difference.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see your car all together!

Jason

sanders7981

I don't see why not, Contact adhesive may work.  You'd just have to not over do the glue so it doesn't soak through. I just took my time and sprayed one half, top half above indented line, at a time then worked that half before moving on to the bottom half and left them clipped until the glue was dry. 

jaak

Did the right rear today....it went much better. I actually tried the different adhesive on this one...I think it worked better! The only minor flaw in it, is anywhere there was a small crack...it shows up. It isn't to bad, I'm not going to re-do it, I can live with it on the rear ones. But on the front ones, I plan on cutting the cracks out and filling with something (don't know yet what I'm gonna use yet). Its a learning process, that's for sure. I plan on re-doing the left rear one I did yesterday.

Jason

sanders7981

Quote from: jaak on February 19, 2014, 09:40:03 PM
Did the right rear today....it went much better. I actually tried the different adhesive on this one...I think it worked better! The only minor flaw in it, is anywhere there was a small crack...it shows up. It isn't to bad, I'm not going to re-do it, I can live with it on the rear ones. But on the front ones, I plan on cutting the cracks out and filling with something (don't know yet what I'm gonna use yet). Its a learning process, that's for sure. I plan on re-doing the left rear one I did yesterday.
Jason

Nice!!!  What about using grey RTV silicone/sealant?  It should provide just the right amount of rigidness without being too hard.  

Speaking of bumps.... I found ONE small one on one of my front pads... I tried heating it up with a heat gun, but it's still there. I really don't fell like pulling it off and reapplying it so I will probably leave it. 

jaak

Quote from: sanders7981 on February 19, 2014, 11:27:05 PM

Nice!!!  What about using grey RTV silicone/sealant?  It should provide just the right amount of rigidness without being too hard.  

That's kinda what I had in mind to try.

Jason

Dino

This works with a contact cement like Masters so give it a shot.  Gently heat up the bubble with a hair dryer, very gently.  The heat may reactivate the glue so if it does, press down and use an air can (or time) to cool it down before you let go.  It may work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

jaak

Finally got around to covering the front ones.. I am real happy with how they turned out. Last night, I tore the vinyl off the left rear one and re-done it, it looks a lot better. Now they will get boxed up and put away until I'm ready to use them.

Jason

sanders7981

Quote from: jaak on February 22, 2014, 11:42:55 AM
Finally got around to covering the front ones.. I am real happy with how they turned out. Last night, I tore the vinyl off the left rear one and re-done it, it looks a lot better. Now they will get boxed up and put away until I'm ready to use them.

Jason

Looks good bro!  The vinyl on mine is slightly thicker than what I probably should have used.  I imagine that I would have retained some of the detail under it if wasn't so thick.  I'll get pics up later.  Trying to get it ll together this weekend, but I have to wait on the seat belts I ordered to do a 3 point conversion.