DodgeCharger.com Forum
November 13, 2019, 06:40:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JAAK's 1969 R/T  (Read 19035 times)
jaak
Old Timer

« on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:28 PM »

I've never really made a thread about my 69 R/T, I've talked about it, shared a few pics, but never made a thread about it, for updates and such. So I thought I'd make this, share some pics of my journey up to now, and have a place to show updates (seems I'm moving faster since the body and paint is done).

My journey actually started in early 1999, when after a 2-3 search I bought this car, a 69 Charger R/T......

That car was pretty rusted, but had alot of nice parts on it, when about 1 1/2 years later I found this.........

So a decision was made to part car #1 and build car #2 (remember this was 10 years ago....long before AMD came along). The second car was running, but I pulled a few things from first car, and actually drove it around a while as it was. The car's wiring was in awful shape....cut/splices everywhere. One day the wiring in the engine bay caught fire, so I laid out of work the next day to remove all wiring and the engine, I guess the 'rebuild' officially begins........

BODYSHOP HELL.
In late 2002/early 2003, A friend (or so I thought at the time) was running a shop repairing painting classic cars. He come by, gave me a quote, struck a deal and the car was sent off to his shop. Here is a couple of crappy pics I found while it was in his shop.........

After 2 years, stripped and primed shell, half-assed trunk floor welded in, and about $1400 later, I had to go get my car back........

This is where it stalls for a while. Since buying the car I have had 2 kids, and bought a house (with a 40 x 32 shop!), then had another kid. So I just piled up the Charger and all my parts in my shop, bought parts when I had extra money, and restored little stuff (ie; grill, console, trim, etc.) until time to get back on the car. I had all the machine work done on the engine, rebuilt the 727 (with guidance from the trans guy at a dealership I used to work at). Also at the time I had a small flux welder and welded in some patches here and there where needed.

Time for body and paint. I absolutely could not find anyone....anyone who wanted to touch this car.....so I rolled up my sleeves and took it on myself. After all rust was taken car of and any and all dents pulled, I started skimming the car with filler and blocking with a long block to get it straight and the lines sharp......

Car was primed with epoxy followed by polyester primer then blocking, then polyester and blocking again.......

Then primed with 2k Urethane and blocked again.........

At this time I decided to jamb out the car. The color I picked was FJ6....always loved the color, and since its a non matching number R/T, Im building it the way I want.....

Primed/blocked the car one last time with 500 grit in prep for paint........

After alot of hard work, finally paint.........

TO BE CONTINUED........

jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:33 PM »

Restored grille.....

440 Assembled and painted.......

stripedelete
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »

Did you paint it your self too?
jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »

This is pretty cool........first pic me with Charger in fall of 2000, next pic me with Charger in fall of 2010 (10 yrs. later).

Jason

jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »

Yes.

Jason

dookie01

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:03:41 AM »

Awesome build, keep the picts rollin 2thumbs My favorite color to
tan top
Old Timer

69 R/T SE -A47-Y2-CRX-V1T-V88

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:12:41 AM »

awesome Job Jason  !!  good pictures yesnod  coolgleamA  , love looking at this kind of stuff  yesnod  , makes me wish i took more pictures when i done mine ! icon_smile_blackeye

Tilar
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:55 AM »

Wow, That's quite a transformation. Looking great!  2thumbs

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

stripedelete
Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »

Yes.

Jason

Now that's taking the bull by the horns.  Good for you.

Looks good.  Good thread.   2thumbs
TiMopar

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:37:25 AM »

Good work, well done!
hemi68charger
Old Timer

Winged Duo..

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:00:59 AM »

2thumbs

Good job.........

Troy
'69 Charger 500 426 Hemi auto; #5 pre-production
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
Houston Mopar Club Connection
Charger-Bodie
Global Moderator
Old Timer

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »

Its come along way! Keep her going!!

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............
jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »

Some more pics over the last 3-4 years....out of sequence, but just posting to show some stuff I've done.

Stripping, priming, painting engine bay.......

When I had the rear end out, I cleaned/painted it with Nason Acrylic enamel......

When reinstalling the front suspension, I upgraded to disc using the late B-body stuff........

Here is a pic of my steering column after restoring, I took it apart, clean/painted everything and reassembled with new upper and lower bearings.......

Prepping/Painting small parts.......

More soon,
Jason

69 Bama R/T

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »

That's what I like to see. drool5
rt green
Old Timer

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »

nice work

third string oil changer
NHCharger
Supreme Commander
Old Timer

When setting goals avoid disappointment, aim low.

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »

I really like your home made paint booth. How effective was it for keeping out the dust?

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone - former moneypit
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel
1975 Bricklin SV-1- For Sale
jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »

I really like your home made paint booth. How effective was it for keeping out the dust?

It worked pretty good, I did get a few 'nibs' in it, but it come out during the cutting/buffing process. I had 2 fans blowing in the back (through filters) and 2 pulling out in the front (through filters also) to create a positive pressure. It pulled all the overspray out pretty quick also.

Jason

HOTROD

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

2thumbs notworthy

What the Hell-Dumass !
maxwellwedge
Old Timer

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »

Yes.

Jason

Now that's taking the bull by the horns.  Good for you.

Ditto!   2thumbs

Looks good.  Good thread.   2thumbs
pipeliner

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »

Good work!
greenpigs
Old Timer

Alyson Hannigan

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »

Funny you aged better than most 10 years later.

I agree on picking the color paint you want, even if it had be # matching.

1969 Charger RT
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Living Chevy free
jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »

Still digging through old pics......
Here's a couple of things I did prior to painting it, first off I went ahead and installed the engine and trans, because I done had the engine bay painted and I had already removed/reinstalled/realigned the hood 2-3 times during the bodywork process, and I wanted this to be the last time I had to screw with that hood! I also painted the tailpanel and various other parts (grill frame, dash, etc.) before painted the green. Once again just being a 'driver' I used a single stage satin black urethane for durability (it looks glossy in these pics, because it was still wet).....

A couple of months ago, I addressed the fuel system. New tank, sending unit, straps, pad. I also bent up my own new fuel line, using the old one as a template. And here is a pic of the fuel cap install (Alright, I know its a '68 cap, but I've always preferred the smooth top of a '68 cap)..........

Also 2-3 months ago, I wired the car. The only thing I replaced was the engine harness. I used a new M&D harness upgraded with electronic ignition and for a dual field alternator. All the other wiring was in pretty good shape so I was able to make a couple of repairs and reuse it. The only one I had to fabricate was the harness that runs from the dash harness to console harness (runs under driver seat), I couldn't find that one anywhere, Lost mine. Also not I made my own bracket to mount the ECU on the rear of the intake, Ive seen these on eBay, but some scrap metal and about 15 minutes labor I made my own........

jaak
Old Timer

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »

icon_smile_big JAAK's MOPAR SHOP  icon_smile_big

BIGBLCK11

. . . . .

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 10:21:55 PM »

2thumbs Nice build and thread, thanks for all the pics!
flyboyedwards

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »

Jason,
That is great work! Love the pics, keep them coming for those of us that aren't finished yet..............it's great motivation!
 cheers icon_smile_tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: