News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vector Rims

Started by comet_666, February 19, 2014, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

So here is a pic of the older vector rims and the new one..other than color, do you notice a difference?

Bobs69

Just the small rise on the outside diameter.

tsmithae

Clearancing indentations for the lug nuts.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

ACUDANUT

They look good to me.  :2thumbs:

comet_666

Looks like there is a lip of some sort there, is it the angle or shininess of the rim?

Ghoste

I think thats just the lighting.

comet_666

Not a big fan of the sizing or the shiny finish really. I actually sent an email to American Racing Wheels and here is what he told me.

Good afternoon, how you doing?

The old Vector and the new one does match very very closely.  IN fact, they are pretty much the same finish.  We basically just changed the finish name (used to be "natural black" vs "athractite" but they are the same).

I don't think there are any plans in making them in other sizes to be honest with you.

Thanks

sanders7981

Quote from: comet_666 on February 19, 2014, 04:19:39 PM
Not a big fan of the sizing or the shiny finish really. I actually sent an email to American Racing Wheels and here is what he told me.

Good afternoon, how you doing?

The old Vector and the new one does match very very closely.  IN fact, they are pretty much the same finish.  We basically just changed the finish name (used to be "natural black" vs "athractite" but they are the same).

I don't think there are any plans in making them in other sizes to be honest with you.

Thanks

I don't think he understood what you meant by "old".  I think the rim they are talking about is the one released in 2005, not the vintage one released 30-40 years ago. 

Mike DC

The old ones from decades ago (at least the ARs if not all the knockoffs) were painted with semigloss black.  

The aluminum was rough-cast finished in the painted areas on the originals, as opposed to smoother finished 21st-century reissues because of how modern ones are made.  That may be why the newer ones seem shinier.

If that's a big deal then you could hit the newer painted areas with a textured or hammered paint finish.  Then go over that with semigloss or satin. 

myk

I would've liked to see a Vector in 17 or 18 inches... :shruggy:
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

comet_666

This is what I wrote him:

Is there any way you can inquire on my behalf or point me to the correct person on either custom sizes or having American Racing look into making a more modern size in these wheels, 17in and above? I am part of many Mopar groups and the interest in these wheels in the different sizes is sky high.

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is their reply:

That would be me actually – the guy to talk to.

I will bring up this suggestion to my multiple bosses though and they will take a look at it and take it into consideration.

Thanks

ACUDANUT

Quote from: myk on February 20, 2014, 03:30:21 AM
Not me. 15 inches is the look.  Chargers are not rice burners.

comet_666

I like them all, I just prefer the more modern look with larger rim and lower tire sidewall.

WHITE AND RED 69

Here is a set, but you don't want to know what they cost.    :o
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

sanders7981

I'd buy a set in that size for my wifes challenger. 

Mike DC

:Twocents:

If they're gonna make larger-scale Vectors (I doubt the demand is very big to be honest) then they oughtta style them better.

When the rim size is dramatically bigger than the original Vectors but the inner circle around the bolts stays the same size, they come out looking too much like wagon wheels.  They need to enlarge that inner bolt circle more in proportion to the outer size.  Maybe they can't re-create the older "dish" offset in modern sizes but they could do this part.

comet_666

oh come on!  how much do they cost!

myk

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 20, 2014, 03:29:23 PM
Not me. 15 inches is the look.  Chargers are not rice burners.

Yeah, because anyone rolling with anything bigger than 15 inches is a "rice burner," just like these guys:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/744737/1968-dodge-charger/

Freaking rice burners man...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 20, 2014, 05:19:53 PM

If they're gonna make larger-scale Vectors (I doubt the demand is very big to be honest) then they oughtta style them better.

When the rim size is dramatically bigger than the original Vectors but the inner circle around the bolts stays the same size, they come out looking too much like wagon wheels.  They need to enlarge that inner bolt circle more in proportion to the outer size.  Maybe they can't re-create the older "dish" offset in modern sizes but they could do this part.

Exactly!  I would love a scaled up version of the originals.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

17" would bout far as I'd take them....anything ed lse, and they look stupid...see pic above....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Dino on February 21, 2014, 11:43:11 AM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 20, 2014, 05:19:53 PM

When the rim size is dramatically bigger than the original Vectors but the inner circle around the bolts stays the same size, they come out looking too much like wagon wheels.  They need to enlarge that inner bolt circle more in proportion to the outer size.  Maybe they can't re-create the older "dish" offset in modern sizes but they could do this part.

Exactly!  I would love a scaled up version of the originals.

That's because your a young _ _ _.

Never mind.

Mike DC

17" rims with decent tire sidewall height looks more old-school than 15" rims wearing rubber bands. 

ACUDANUT

Why not go with 22 inch rims.  Big pimpin.

lukedukem

They're different.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

SwiftJonny

Here's a close up shot of my classic vectors.  I've seen the new ones before, they look too pretty and smooth.  These suit the old beast much better.
1968 Charger R/T 440 4 Speed
Racing Green Metallic