News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD Pro Billet vs. MSD Ready To Run.

Started by TripleBlackGator, February 19, 2014, 05:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleBlackGator

I am in the market for a new distributor. I currently have the black "Mopar MSD" box. It seems the only difference between the two distributors is that the Pro Billet requires an MSD box and the Ready To Run version does not. The Ready To Run one costs more I am supposing because the "box" is built in. Am I correct? I read that the Ready To Run unit does not need a "box" but can be used with one. Not sure why a person would want to do that. I am leaning towards the Ready To Run version simply because of the ease of wiring and no need to find a place for the "box". Opinions?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

GPULLER

You would be correct.  But I'm not so sure that you can use a RTR dist with the MSD box. 
I went with a Firecore Plug and Play because of cost, and Ron is a helluva salesman.   MSD and Firecore both have RTR distributors. I stayed away because if the module goes bad in a RTR while your on a road trip are you going to be able to find a replacement?  That's why I stayed with the Mopar ECU, should be able to get on easy enough in a pinch.
Take a look at the Firecore's quality stuff.

bill440rt

I have the Pro Billet combined with the Mopar MSD 6AL in my '69. (This was well before the Firecores were available.)
Very happy with it. Easy to tune, etc.
I have a bracket for the 6AL mounted on my firewall, which used the existing holes for the unused voltage reg, ballast, etc so I did not have to drill any new ones. Even clears the 6-pack air cleaner.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TripleBlackGator

I only stated using the MSD control box with the RTR because of this manual right from MSD. Still don't know why??? I believe the RTR's have an adjustable rev limiter built in so it wouldn't be for that reason. Just found this on YouTube. It pretty much explains the difference.

http://youtu.be/o1rCR3nu3A4
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

GPULLER

Huh, wouldn't using an RTR distributor with the MSD box defeat the purpose of the RTR dist?  Thanks for posting that.

firefighter3931

Quote from: GPULLER on February 20, 2014, 09:07:06 AM
Huh, wouldn't using an RTR distributor with the MSD box defeat the purpose of the RTR dist?  

Yes it would. By installing a multi-spark box and wiring it that way you are using the reluctor/pickup only and bypassing the built in ECU of the RTR distributor. If you're planning on running an external box....this is not the most cost effective route to take.  ;)

Lets compare ; MSD RTR distributor is almost $400 vs a Firecore plug & play @ $165  :icon_smile_big:

We haven't even talked about the superior features of the Firecore distributor yet ;

-available with stock cap
-stock size housing that won't have clearance issues with heads/valvecovers
-infinite mechanical advance adjustments instead of a clumsy bushing arrangement

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GPULLER

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 25, 2014, 12:33:36 PM
Quote from: GPULLER on February 20, 2014, 09:07:06 AM
Huh, wouldn't using an RTR distributor with the MSD box defeat the purpose of the RTR dist? 

Yes it would. By installing a multi-spark box and wiring it that way you are using the reluctor/pickup only and bypassing the built in ECU of the RTR distributor. If you're planning on running an eternal box....this is not the most cost effective route to take.  ;)

Lets compare ; MSD RTR distributor is almost $400 vs a Firecore plug & play @ $165  :icon_smile_big:

We haven't even talked about the superior features of the Firecore distributor yet ;

-available with stock cap
-stock size housing that won't have clearance issues with heads/valvecovers
-infinite mechanical advance adjustments instead of a clumsy bushing arrangement

Ron

Don't have to tell me.  :2thumbs:

"I went with a Firecore Plug and Play because of cost, and Ron is a helluva salesman.   
Take a look at the Firecore's quality stuff."

Ghoste

I thought they were a lot more, that doesn't seem like a lot of money for what it sounds like you get.  Perhaps I need one myself?  :scratchchin:

timmycharger

Ive also had great luck with the MSD pro billet and 6AL set up.

ottawamerc

I put in the MSD RTR and thus far it has worked well, but like Ron said I did have clearance issues with the cap and the bushing setup is a PIG to do. From all the reviews of Rons happy clients in retrospect I should have purchased a Firecore and "may" yet. The MSD RTR would be a waste if you add a control box too IMHO.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Ghoste

That Firecore p&p is less than the MP conversion kit.  Thats a helluva deal. :Twocents: