News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

just wondering question

Started by 73chargercali, March 09, 2006, 03:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

my 440 seems to have an extremly good powerband at around 2800 but below that it seems weak, i was wondering what would cause it to pull so well around there? the stall converter/ cam/ carb/ timing?

its hard to describe the feeling but from a dead stop the car is loud as hell but weak (like less than the old 318 weak) and it gets up to rpms fairly slow but then around 2800 it feels like the car is floating and it accelerates like crazy, i love it. it acts this way in 2nd and 3rd haven't noticed in first. what i want is this to happen all the time.

my setup is 440: eddy carb 750 cfm, comp cams 268dur .454 lift, stock intake, 1 7/8 headers. 81,000 miles
                 trans: rebuilt 727 with a sizzler tci stall converter, and a shift kit.
                 rear: 3.54 limited slip
                 exhaust: headers into 3in tubes to flowmaster super delta 40 mufflers into turn downs (loud)

my future plans are to use a eddy torker 440 manifold which i already own and upgrade to maybe a 850cfm carb. would this be a wise choice? i know there are better intakes but i don't really want to buy another unless it was a dual plane intake. the engine has some milage on it but has great compression so i don't think thats the problem.

sorry for starting a new thread but i didn't want to waste the space in an old topic. thanks for any help

1BAD67

What kind of advance are you using to control timing. Could it be the fact you have the base timing to far advanced or maybe the springs in a mechanical advance are to weak. If you have a vacuum advance where do you have the hose plugged into? If it is on manifold try a ported supply on carb. First thing i would do is hang a timing light on it and see where it is at under accel. Have you checked for timing chain play?
Other thought i had was stock intake might not flow enough with 750cfm carb, high lift cam and really free flowing exhaust. I would definetly agree with you if you upgrade to stay with a dual plane if you want power below 2800rpm. Not sure about 850 cfm carb might be a bit to much for what you have done so far.

73chargercali

i have a vacumm advance distributor hooked up to one of the ports in the base of the carb. is one port timed or are they both the same as the intake vacumm? the distributor is from 1966 so its probly tired and its not hooked up to the electronic ignition since the cap does't have the wires to accomadate the connection.

Chryco Psycho

you will probably find the engine will run better without the vacuum advance connected at all but 1 port , Left I think is ported vacuum
you can  get a new 440 electronic dist from Mopar or a rebuilt from Napa