News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pulley measurement for 426 HEMI

Started by hemi68charger, February 24, 2014, 10:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..

I have a hybrid situation here....... I have a 440 rotating assembly ( rods and crank with appropriate dampner )in my 426 HEMI, apparently an old trick by old timers.. Can someone get me a measure and/or picture for the distance from the front face of the timing chain cover to the front end of the pulley ( 2-groove pulley for power steering ). I just got a Federal p/s pump with the appropriate HEMI pulley. But, seems the pulley in space sticks further out and may not be useable. I was under the impression since the water pump pulley on the '69 and later are the same as the 440 non-a/c engines, the power steering groove would line up too.... Am I missing something?

I guess the alternative is using a Saginaw pump I have on the Daytona now ( albeit I would rather have the Federal )

2nd photo: holding hemi pulley
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ws23rt

It looks like you have the wrong pulley on the dampener and the dampener is not the thick one for the hemi.

The outer pulley grove should be smaller than the inner and is the one that drives the power steering pump.

I may be wrong but I believe the crank pulley is for hemi only with the hemi dampener

hemi68charger

Quote from: ws23rt on February 24, 2014, 10:15:29 PM
It looks like you have the wrong pulley on the dampener and the dampener is not the thick one for the hemi.

The outer pulley grove should be smaller than the inner and is the one that drives the power steering pump.

I may be wrong but I believe the crank pulley is for hemi only with the hemi dampener

You are 100% correct. Hence, the dilemma........ I was looking to see if there are any configurations I can do or spacers found for the crank. I want to keep the Hemi-looking pump. The water pump pulley is the same during this year. So, the only thing I would need to modify would be the crank pulley geometry, regardless if I used the 440 version or the 426 version as you have mentioned. Scott in his swap mentioned a spacer that might be available to push out the 440 pulley to hemi geometry..
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

FJMG

I must be not getting it but if you are using a 440 rotating assembly then why not just use 440 crank pulley?

FJMG

The Hemi p/s crank pulley on a Hemi dampner would measure 5" out where your tape is (I think) HOWEVER I do not have the federal pump here to verify geometry. Someone with an all original setup will surely chime in here soon.

ws23rt

Quote from: FJMG on February 25, 2014, 08:38:50 PM
I must be not getting it but if you are using a 440 rotating assembly then why not just use 440 crank pulley?

I have a similar question.  And also wonder if the inner pulley will line up with the alternator as it is.

If the commitment is to use what is there than a spacer is a simple fix.  (although good luck finding one) It is an easy part to make for a machinist.

So if the alternator and power steering pump will align with a spacer than the rest of the story is the pump will spin faster than stock hemi.  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJMG on February 25, 2014, 08:38:50 PM

What is throwing things off is my desire to have a Federal p/s pump. It has a special pulley for the hemi, hence all the other pulleys, more specifically the crank, need to line up. Now, I could go the much easier route and install the Saginaw p/s pump that's on my 440 now in the Daytona.... But, I relish the challenge. If it works out, it works out. I'm sure there's a formula for this to work, it's just a matter of me finding it.......  :2thumbs:
Troy

FJMG

Aahhh I get it now, maybe try to get a custom p/s pump pulley made up to fit your geometry? This way it will LOOK like a Hemi pulley just not EXACTLY.

Actually, after seeing your delima I guess i need to source a federal pump and bracket now!